Best Current Miles Davis Box

BbM7

I'm planning to pick up one of the (many) current Miles Davis boxes for a friend who has expressed an interest in having one. I'm tempted particularly by the 1965-68 Quintet box, but the 1963-64 Seven Steps, etc. looks good and the Blackhawk material...

I don't think the Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson and Silent Way boxes are best suited to my friend's tastes - straight-ahead, small group.

As for what she already has, it's no more than a smattering of any of this material, so duplication isn't really a concern. She does have a few of the Miles/Trane Columbia things.

Any recommendations (or reminders about other great, current boxes) appreciated.

I'd go with the 65-68 material. A bit towards the end gets a little out there (and I do only me "a little"), so most people should be able to get their ears around most of it. It's my favorite of all the Miles boxes.

I love the Miles and Gil box too, but so much of it is outtakes -- not woven together into suites -- that it's really like you're only buying 4 discs (but paying for 6). OK, maybe 5 -- but for most people, only 4 of the discs are logically organized, like most listeners would want (not nutcases like us!! :wacko::g ) And in any case, most people would probably be better served by the individual Miles and Gil CD's.

Another plus with the 65-68 box is that there is a fair a bit of stylistic growth by the group over that time period -- more than you get with the Miles and Trane box, for instance (IMHO, anyway -- and others will argue this, I'm sure).

The new "Seven Steps" box is among the least interesting to me, but that's just my opinion.

What Rooster Ties said.

My second choice would be the Miles Davis/John Coltrane Complete Recordings on Columbia set. It may cater to your friends' straight ahead tastes a bit more, but I still say go for the 65-68 set.

The '65-'68 material is a bit toward the challenging end of "straight-ahead, small group" jazz, so keep that in mind. The Prestige and Miles/Trane boxes might appeal more to her tastes, as would the Blackhawk box.

The Plugged Nickel box also has outstanding music but I'd get it only if she likes the '65-'68 box.

Guy

Not my choice as "best", but I found the IN A SILENT WAY box the most ear-opening, and the one that most changed my original opinion of this "stage" in Miles' career.

As far as buying for your friend, it is kind of hard to go wrong with the 65-68 box.

Edited by Joe

The Miles/Gil Evans box...something for everyone here...get it now :rolleyes:all you need to do is convince yourself that you have enough time for the outtakes too.but then as we're talking about time then Rooster is right get some stuff with tony on...the quintet set...get it earlier than "now"... then the gil box :D

Edited by Green Dolphin

I'd second (or third) what many have already stated. Personally, I'd put the "Seven Steps" box first, followed by the "'65-'68" box. I've stayed away from the Miles and Gil box for the reasons indicated. I like the "Blackhawk" set too, but as a gift the "Seven Steps" looks as well as sound impressive.

my 2 cents

I'd go with the 65-68 material. A bit towards the end gets a little out there (and I do only me "a little"), so most people should be able to get their ears around most of it. It's my favorite of all the Miles boxes.

I love the Miles and Gil box too, but so much of it is outtakes -- not woven together into suites -- that it's really like you're only buying 4 discs (but paying for 6). OK, maybe 5 -- but for most people, only 4 of the discs are logically organized, like most listeners would want (not nutcases like us!! :wacko::g ) And in any case, most people would probably be better served by the individual Miles and Gil CD's.

Another plus with the 65-68 box is that there is a fair a bit of stylistic growth by the group over that time period -- more than you get with the Miles and Trane box, for instance (IMHO, anyway -- and others will argue this, I'm sure).

The new "Seven Steps" box is among the least interesting to me, but that's just my opinion.

I would go with the Plugged Nickel box, as it is my personal favorite.

But I just want to put in a plug for Organissimo's best reviewer...

Rooster Ties!

Always enjoy his reviews... :tup:D

For a casual fan of stright ahead, I think the Seven Steps box is definitely your best choice. The 65-68 is the best music (ever made) but its really not very easy listening. easier than Bitches Brew of course.

Your best bet would be to order the box from www.yourmusic.com 5.99 a disc, so the Seven Steps would be 42 dollars, which is practically free. It should only take a week or so to arrive.

I'd second (or third) what many have already stated. Personally, I'd put the "Seven Steps" box first, followed by the "'65-'68" box. I've stayed away from the Miles and Gil box for the reasons indicated. I like the "Blackhawk" set too, but as a gift the "Seven Steps" looks as well as sound impressive.

my 2 cents

I agree with Claypone.

I think this set is a little more accessible to the Miles newbie. Give them something to look forward to. :g

I'd second (or third) what many have already stated. Personally,  I'd put the "Seven Steps" box first, followed by the "'65-'68" box. I've stayed away from the Miles and Gil box for the reasons indicated. I like the "Blackhawk" set too, but as a gift the "Seven Steps" looks as well as sound impressive.

my 2 cents

I agree with Claypone.

I think this set is a little more accessible to the Miles newbie. Give them something to look forward to. :g

It looks classy too, especially when you polish the fingerprints off the silver spine. ;)

And while it is more accessible than the next box, it will introduce the listener to Wayne on the last disc to give hints of what was to come. Plus you get to sneak some Sam Rivers into her collection. :D

I would go with his live stuff, for me Live at the Blackhawk is fantastic, for something different and my fave, try the Complete Stockholm Concert, 1960 distributed by Dragon Records.

This was recorded shortly before Coltrane left to form his own group.

Che.

And while it is more accessible than the next box, it will introduce the listener to Wayne on the last disc to give hints of what was to come. Plus you get to sneak some Sam Rivers into her collection.

Am I the only one who hears a slight similarity in Wayne and Sam's sounds around this time? That dry, abstract melodicism. If that makes any sense.

Guy

Am I the only one who hears a slight similarity in Wayne and Sam's sounds around this time? That dry, abstract melodicism. If that makes any sense.

Guy

They are similar only in the most general way. Their melodicisms both might be perceived as "dry" and "abstract" when compared to Hank Mobley's, for example. Tony Williams's "Spring" demonstrates some of their differences back in the '60s.

I know you're all on pins and needles, awaiting word of my decision. Good recommendations all around. Ultimately, I had to go with my gut. And my gut said: 1965-68.

But wait, this box was so cheap ($39), I decided to pick up the Prestige box too. The idea was to capture two different eras - albeit with a big, important gap in the middle. Someday, perhaps I can fill in.

No reaction from my friend yet, but I'm hoping it's not ruled 'justifiable homicide', if she's less-than-pleased.

Again, thanks all for the recommendations. So many good boxes out there.

Edited by BbM7