listening to the Complete Norman Granz Jam Session

I got it when if first came out and it's great. But see if you notice a difference in sound between sessions. As I recall, the first couple of discs have terrific presence and clarity, whereas the sound on a couple of the others are still good, but not as great as the first 2. I assume it's related to the original source tapes.

I got it when if first came out and it's great. But see if you notice a difference in sound between sessions. As I recall, the first couple of discs have terrific presence and clarity, whereas the sound on a couple of the others are still good, but not as great as the first 2. I assume it's related to the original source tapes.

you're absolutely right... Ron.... there is a significant drop in sound quality on the 3rd disc.... It's a bummer since the music is great....

I thought I heard the dreaded...... "hiss," at the beginning of cd 3....

this was one of the reasons (that and $$$) I begged off the JATP Live boxed set a few years ago... (poor recording quality...)

but the music is really hot...

Ohh, I have to really differ about the quality about the JATP box. I think it's really good. You know, these weren't studio sessions like the NG Jam Sessions. And if you cut yourself off from these, you're missing an integral part of jazz history. There are many sessions that have been recorded that don't have pristine sound such as Art Pepper with the Sonny Clark Trio. Sound is terrible but some of the best music you'll ever hear. Ditto with the Bird Mosaic box. As Phil Schaap said a few years ago about poorly sounding sessions, the best filter is your ears.

I got it when if first came out and it's great.  But see if you notice a difference in sound between sessions.  As I recall, the first couple of discs have terrific presence and clarity, whereas the sound on a couple of the others are still good, but not as great as the first 2.  I assume it's related to the original source tapes.

you're absolutely right... Ron.... there is a significant drop in sound quality on the 3rd disc.... It's a bummer since the music is great....

I thought I heard the dreaded...... "hiss," at the beginning of cd 3....

this was one of the reasons (that and $$$) I begged off the JATP Live boxed set a few years ago... (poor recording quality...)

but the music is really hot...

I also have the JATP box, and on some of the discs the high end is so severe--especially on trumpets--I have to turn the treble way down before my head explodes. :wacko: I think I probably attract every dog in the neighborhood when I play them. :blink: You'd think Verve could do a better remastering job. Then again, you'd think they could do better with their boxes, also (e.g., the rusting Bill Evans box, the self-destructing JATP box, the fingernail-destroying Granz Jam Sessions "partial" box)--who the hell thinks up these things??? :angry:

But I agree with Brad that the music is great (and the sound for the most part is pretty good). (I have to agree with Brad--he lives in the next state over and could come beat my ass if I don't.)

Edited by Ron S

I agree with you about Verve packaging... the sad thing is MOST of the people who will buy these box sets are us.... jazz fans who care about the content. You would think they would cater their packaging to us....

And btw.. I shipped back the Farlow to camain.com today.. Will see how long it takes to get a replacement set... Even for $50 I want the best I can get...i

And btw.. I shipped back the Farlow to camain.com today.. Will see how long it takes to get a replacement set... Even for $50 I want the best I can get...i

You may have to bug them in a couple of weeks--just email them and say that you sent it back a couple of weeks earlier, they they should have received it by then, and that you want your replacement sent out PRONTO. If they have it, they'll send it. :)

Here's Lon's (jazzbo) review from amazon of the JATP:

This voluminous set reissues all the remaining recordings of the Jazz at the Philharmonic concerts produced by Norman Granz during the period 1944 to 1949.

There are previously issued and previously unissued performances here. Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, and Illinois Jacquett are heavily featured on tenor sax. Also making many appearances are the lesser known Howard McGhee and Kenny Kersey. Many other 'forties jazz stars are present, including Les Paul, Meade Lux Lewis, Charlie Parker, J. J. Johnson, Buck Clayton, Roy Eldridge and Mel Powell. Sure the JATP became formulaic over time, but those performance captured here are exciting and stimulating. I especially enjoy the unissued sides by Lester Young here, and the many appearances on drums of his lesser-known brother, Lee Young.

The sound is excellently remastered. A few selections are from very poor source material, but overall the sound is dynamic and vivid. The lengthy booklet is informative and fun. And have you ever seen a box set that came with a minature sidewalk marquee before? Do you think you will again?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The Apple Jam session with Basie and the session with Charlie Parker are my favorites, but it's all good. Some people say Roy's over the top in these JATP type settings, but I think he's perfect :tup

Apple Jam is an amazingly swinging session. Always knew Wardell could do it, but Getz's playing here is a revelation!