The old BNBB

chris

I think the corporate types were getting perturbed about some of the forums like Offering (offering not just BN threads), Politics (obvious reasons), Reissues (discussing more than BN) so they took them away. They even took away the Mosaic forum for a short while. Of course we all got upset and went ballistic and people started posting a lot of anti BN, anti Norah stuff, then Jim Sangrey posted a very eloquent letter to Tom Evered (tomatbluenote) and he took a jerky position that "it's our board and we can do what we want with it". After that people started migrating to AAJ and B3er organized this Board, people got more negative at the BN Board and they closed it. As Lon said, it was supposed to reopen but didn't and it appears to be on permanent hiatus for now. That's the story in a nutshell. What's sad is that they destroyed a community and although we've been able to resurrect it here to a certain extent, there are people who left and probably will never come back. That's very sad.

Agreed. This is a great place. What I meant to say and this may not have come across clearly is that there people who used to visit the BNBB but now don't visit any board or who were interested in jazz but dropped out.

Hopefully they'll start to filter back in over a period of time like they have been.

I'm cool with a new board, it was just that BNBB had some history and it always takes time to get things rolling again as people migrate over, and some are always lost. And it was nice that Blue Note had some balls and let the forum rollick-- but I guess in the end they were no better than the pissers and moaners at the Verve site. And to think how many people bought so much BlueNote and Mosaic material because of that board. Pretty lame.

One thread.... nay three threads.... nay, thrice three thousand threads in three hundred languages (that's enough pseudo-oriental hyperbole - ed.) would not be enough to express the wonder and passion, the nuance and numbness, the nuttishness, nerdishness and sheer groovemania that was the BNBB. What we really need is a BNBBBB to weep over the old days, to celebrate lost warriors (now presumably over at valhalla.org) to toast the age of giants with, er, a slice of toast and a nice cup of tea, and to, er, etc. Mighty men (mostly) felled by midgets wielding the dishonorable weapon of DELETE ALL. Its like in science fiction where it turns out that the spaceship has a self destruct button. I mean why look in your car there is no self destruct button it would be just too tempting! Waaah waaah waaah rail rail rail bloe you hurricanoes usw. Don't look back in anger did I hear you say? I say, do not go gentle into that good night. Oh, where is shamelethactor when you need him!? Or urchin aric, who in those distant seeming days was barely knee high to a federal marshall. Who now remembers that Lonson was once merely Lon? Who fell in wonder at the 10,000th post? Who wept at the sammich? The twinkle in whose eye blended hope and sorrow when the wobble on Dialogue was first revealed to a fearful public? And who now remembers (help me remember, Mnemosyne, aid my epression, Calliope, do not betray me, Clio, descend from Heaven, Urania, comfort my nights, Ohura) how hope won out over sorrow when He, yeah even HE, (for I speak of only one, the one who was your father before he went over to the dark side with the mystical folk called Bean Counters and learned how to do the neat hurting your neck without touching it thing) sent that rainbow into the sky proclaiming peace on earth and free replacement discs to anyone who could be arsed to mail it in and didn't think the whole thing sounded like a car crash anyway and where can I get the TOCJ (for that was only the evil Orc Ayers who forever moanethed about the treble setting on the legendary RVGs) ah yes! OHHHH - I ha'e ta'en too li'l care o' this. What is man if not a poor naked record collector, and what is the earth of not an endless unredeemable platter on which the groove of eternity must play its course? Oh smooth your hair with automatic hand! Remember the countdown to the end of Hill, of Rivers, yea even of Fuller and Jones?? Remember cowering as the hollow echoes of the absolute lack of fuss surrounding the demise of the Shank set echoed emptily in the heads of hollow men crammed to breaking point with where to get a record they didn't really want anyway for a dollar less? Already with thee! Tender is the night! Oh night oh night! But ahh, those joy-filled, wonder-struck, offeringandlookingfor-laden days of the summer which seemed it would never end!! Feel the force! Feel the force! Feel the force!

Edited by David Ayers

Guest Chaney

:g

David, you really are TOO good!

By the way, can I get the audio version of this speech and if so, where? Available as a TOCJ? If yes, at what price... and I'll not pay more than twenty bucks!

:blink:

Edited by Chaney

One thread.... nay three threads.... nay, thrice three thousand threads in three hundred languages (that's enough pseudo-oriental hyperbole - ed.) would not be enough to express the wonder and passion, the nuance and numbness, the nuttishness, nerdishness and sheer groovemania that was the BNBB. What we really need is a BNBBBB to weep over the old days, to celebrate lost warriors (now presumably over at valhalla.org) to toast the age of giants with, er, a slice of toast and a nice cup of tea, and to, er, etc. Mighty men (mostly) felled by midgets wielding the dishonorable weapon of DELETE ALL. Its like in science fiction where it turns out that the spaceship has a self destruct button. I mean why look in your car there is no self destruct button it would be just too tempting! Waaah waaah waaah rail rail rail bloe you hurricanoes usw. Don't look back in anger did I hear you say? I say, do not go gentle into that good night. Oh, where is shamelethactor when you need him!? Or urchin aric, who in those distant seeming days was barely knee high to a federal marshall. Who now remembers that Lonson was once merely Lon? Who fell in wonder at the 10,000th post? Who wept at the sammich? The twinkle in whose eye blended hope and sorrow when the wobble on Dialogue was first revealed to a fearful public? And who now remembers (help me remember, Mnemosyne, aid my epression, Calliope, do not betray me, Clio, descend from Heaven, Urania, comfort my nights, Ohura) how hope won out over sorrow when He, yeah even HE, (for I speak of only one, the one who was your father before he went over to the dark side with the mystical folk called Bean Counters and learned how to do the neat hurting your neck without touching it thing) sent that rainbow into the sky proclaiming peace on earth and free replacement discs to anyone who could be arsed to mail it in and didn't think the whole thing sounded like a car crash anyway and where can I get the TOCJ (for that was only the evil Orc Ayers who forever moanethed about the treble setting on the legendary RVGs) ah yes! OHHHH - I ha'e ta'en too li'l care o' this. What is man if not a poor naked record collector, and what is the earth of not an endless unredeemable platter on which the groove of eternity must play its course? Oh smooth your hair with automatic hand! Remember the countdown to the end of Hill, of Rivers, yea even of Fuller and Jones?? Remember cowering as the hollow echoes of the absolute lack of fuss surrounding the demise of the Shank set echoed emptily in the heads of hollow men crammed to breaking point with where to get a record they didn't really want anyway for a dollar less? Already with thee! Tender is the night! Oh night oh night! But ahh, those joy-filled, wonder-struck, offeringandlookingfor-laden days of a the summer which seemed it would never end!! Feel the force! Feel the force! Feel the force!

damn....Kerouac lives! :D

If we can't give us audio, at least tell us what accent you've got: Prince Charles? Paul Gascoigne? Jimmy Tarbuck?

Ahh! To wallow in nostalgia for the old board: who was it suggested we send flowers to the Japaneses chap who remastered the TOCJs; who was it that said Stacey Kent sings like she does 'cos she's got a small head?

Edited by David Williams

Guest Mnytime

Now all he has to do is explain that avatar.

It's a 2 girl act from Russia that goes by the name of "T.A.T.U". Their gimmick is that they either are lesbians or bi and have a thing for each other or they are faking it. I am not sure anyone knows for sure. ;)

During their video's and live performances they spend a good amount of time kissing each other. Their music is in the Britney Spears vain.

MTV has been playing the hell out of their video's as you can imagine. ;)

They performed live at the MTV Movie Awards last week. Where they and about 50 pairs of girls dressed in school girl uniforms ended the performance by kissing and fondling each other. The 50 pair of girls also stripped down to their panties and tshirt. Though for the version shown on TV had the fondling edited out from what I understand.

Also, as you can imagine there has been a big stink about their "act" and MTV showing their video's and what they are singing about. At least in their song "All the Things She Said"

A story on them.

http://www.mtv.com/news/yhif/tatu/

You can check out the video and MTV Movie performance here.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/t_a_t_u_/artist.jhtml

Though the MTV movie performance has been edited down even more now from what was first shown for TV.

They must have gotten complaints since the show occured 3 or so days before it was shown on TV it was already edited to be shown. Now the clip you can see from the link I gave only has one pair of girls shown kissing.

Not sure if this was done to the version that is being repeated on MTV on a constant basis now.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Now from reading David's post if I didn't know better I would think he got ahold of my morphine. ;) I know at times I have had to edit myself from sounding that way. :g:g

Though I must admit I like the whole Beat/Pynchon feel of the post. B) B)