Tony Coe

porcy62

I don't have those particular recordings, though I have one Coe Quartet Cd (can't even remember the title or label right now, collection's getting too big) made around 1971. To be honest, I really like Coe in the context of the Clarke-Boland Big Band but on this particular CD his tenor playing sounds very much like Paul Gonsalves'. (I like Gonsalves, but you know the story, "If I wanted to listen to Paul Gonsalves...")

Tony is a no BS guy.

I don't know these items but the interesting thing about him is the range of bands he's played with. From Humph through Francy Boland, Brit avant garde, Koglmann, all points in between and back again. And as Jim says, he can play.

Edited by JohnS

'Zeitgeist' (the large group album with lineup including Kenny Wheeler and co.) is the one to get. Unfortunately it is long OOP and rare (don't think it has been put out on CD). Coe's most ambitious work, musically. There's also a nice ECM LP with Norma Winstone and John Taylor called 'Somewhere Called Home'. I remember seeing this band around the time the LP came out.

Tony Coe is a magical player, criminally underrecorded. Most of what gets recorded tends to be his more mainstream side - there are a whole bunch of recordings on the mainstream Zephyr label.

I've seen him play marvellous compositions for large orchestra live that have never made it to CD. 'Zeitgeist' that sidewinder mentions is a record I'd love to get a chance to hear (I missed it at the time). I'm hoping it might sneak out as part of the current spate of interest in 60s/70s UK jazz over here.

Of the recordings originally listed I have a recent CD reissue of "Coe Existence" - a very enjoyable mainstream date but not one that will have your jaw dropping. I'd say the aforementioned "Nutty" is the one to get - Coe in a much more freewheeling context.

• 14 years later...

Bumping this thread after listening to the honest Jons reissue of Coe and Derek Bailey's 'Time'. Coe is outstanding on this, well they both are. It's a thing of rare beauty

It got me wondering, does anyone know of any other small group settings where Coe plays more freely?  

13 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I ordered a copy of Zeitgeist this afternoon

Good late LP entry in the Lansdowne Series. Must dig out !

On 16/02/2005 at 6:00 PM, porcy62 said:

I have the chance to buy the following Tony Coe's lps:

Pop Make Progress

Brian Lemon Trio

Coe Existence

Tony Basement

I did not listen to them, actually I didn't know they exist until now.

I wish to know your opinion about it before buy them, because they aren't cheap.

I hope you picked these up, porcy. I have the ‘Coe Existence’ and the ‘Tony’s Basement’. The latter, on the EMI Columbia label, is quite elusive and rarely seen with a good condition sleeve.

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I hope you picked these up, porcy. I have the ‘Coe Existence’ and the ‘Tony’s Basement’. The latter, on the EMI Columbia label, is quite elusive and rarely seen with a good condition sleeve.

I didn't, probably I throw money in some other records. "So much to do, and so little time"

jack-nicholson-e-il-temibile-joker-in-un

On 4/22/2019 at 4:01 PM, mjazzg said:

Bumping this thread after listening to the honest Jons reissue of Coe and Derek Bailey's 'Time'. Coe is outstanding on this, well they both are. It's a thing of rare beauty

It got me wondering, does anyone know of any other small group settings where Coe plays more freely?  

I think you'll like his two Nato albums: "Tournée du Chat" and "Le Chat Se Retourne".

Regardless of genre, Tony Coe on a record is almost always a considerable plus.