How about Jazz on T.V.?

Lazaro Vega

Heard about it through Tony Gasperre (sp) at the Jazz Programmer's list (for radio programmers). He runs the Jazz Week chart you see on the front of AAJ and is putting together television listings. As part of his request for information on where to find jazz on t.v. (anyone?) he included this listing.

The bastards at the ABC affiliate here in Kansas City run not one, NOT TWO, but THREE half-hour s(h)itcoms after our local evening news -- so Nightline isn't on here until Midnight (or the equivalent of 1:05 am for you East Coast people).

(So as I’m typing this, it doesn’t come on for over another hour.)

I don't think any other market in the entire U.S. runs Nightline that late. :angry:

The show was on in the NYC area. A short summary: A big band led by pianist Joe Elefante plays Monday night at Cecil's a club in W Orange NJ owned by Cecil Brooks III.

http://www.cecilsjazzclub.com/

Brooks isn't a member of the band but sometimes sits in. They're a plucky bunch of mostly young guys in their 20s and 30s with a few older guys. Some of the musicians may go on to bigger things, but they all enjoy playing modern big band jazz in front of a few appreciative customers in the Jersey suburbs. There were interviews with some band members and Nat Hentoff. They all agreed that big band jazz is a good thing but not especially popular or lucrative.

I taped that. What a great segment for national television to run. Would love to see more programs like that.

Ditto Here:

On another list, I offered to spring for dinner at Tulas in Seattle for the producer, his sound guy and cameraman if he'd come out west, and give the Northwest Prevailing Winds a half hour of network airplay!

its the cheapest promo deal I could ever hope to get! :D