new Jacques Coursil on Tzadik

Brandon Burke

Jacques Coursil: Minimal Brass [#8016]

The first recording since 1969 from one of the legends of the New York experimental music scene who has collaborated with Anthony Braxton, Sunny Murray, Perry Robinson, Albert Ayler and many others. After two astounding albums incorporating serial techniques into the angry energy of free jazz, Jacques Coursil dropped out of the music scene and returned to his native Martinique to teach linguistic theory…but he never stopped playing and never lost his connection to the music. Minimal Brass is a new beginning for this remarkable maverick, a fabulous suite incorporating sound, noise and texture into a swirling masterpiece of overdubbed trumpets. Circular breathing, French philosophy and soulful lyricism from one of modern music’s lost masters.

Source: http://www.tzadik.com/

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

anyone heard "Trail of Tears" care to comment.? I've had "Way Head" (sic) BYG for some years and recently picked up Black Suite BYG which I've found equally as good. I wondered what his recent releases were like.

He comes across as an interesting figure, see interview here Coursil interview BOMB magazine

Edited by Clunky

anyone heard "Trail of Tears" care to comment.? I've had "Way Head" (sic) BYG for some years and recently picked up Black Suite BYG which I've found equally as good. I wondered what his recent releases were like.

He comes across as an interesting figure, see interview here Coursil interview BOMB magazine

I bought 'Trail of tears' after discovering the BYGs. First thing to say is that it's very different as you mght expect given the time lapse. I hear the album as a suite despite being recorded across three sessions, two years or so apart, by different bands.

The 'french' session (5 of the 7 tracks) is predominantly very lyrical, slow-paced trumpet cushioned by fender/keyboards; Eberhard Weber-esque bass and minimal percussion. A dominant theme is developed with few variations across three tracks and I find its simplicity rather affecting. The trumpet playing is superb. Later the theme becomes less foregrounded and what sound like improvised passages emerge with piano/drums more prominent

The US sessin has a line-up more akin to a BYG of old features on one, eleven minute track. A more acoustic sound, same slower tempo, freer approach, great drumming from Sunny Murray. Sits nicely in the whole

Overall, I'd say give it a go if you enjoy Coursil's playing and writing just don't expect a BYG blow-out. It rewards attention and I find it suceeds in portraying its tragic message (forced migration) well.

It was also dirt-cheap secondhand on Amazon :)

'Trails of Tears' is not an album I return very often. Because of its theme (the 19th Century forced deportation of Cheerokees), the mood is very somber and you have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

But then it is a very rewarding experience.

Coursil remains one of the more interesting musician currently creating works of art!