Detroit Sax man Larry Nozero

randissimo

We have lost a great friend, and musician. Detroit sax man Larry Nozero passed away this morning (Fri. Feb. 18, 2005), after a bout with cancer. We will all miss him dearly. I have known and played several gigs with Larry since the mid 70's. He can be heard on the soprano sax intro on Marvin Gaye's 70's hit, "What's Going On?".

That is all the info I have at this time other than the benefit concert being held at Clarenceville High School in Livonia next Tuesday night Feb. 22 at 7:30 in memory of him, and to help off set medical expenses.

Ddin't realize that was a soprano. Thought it was an alto.

No matter, one of the most memorable (and soulful) instrumental hooks ever.

Never heard anything else about/from him, but if that intro is any indication, the world has lost one more beautiful one.

Ddin't realize that was a soprano. Thought it was an alto.

It could be an alto... It sounds like a soprano to me.... what do I know, i'm a drummer :lol:

Larry was a mainstay of the Detroit jazz scene. Hell of a musician, warm personality, wonderful sound on alto. Had a weekly gig for I can't remember how long at Mitch Housey's restaurant.

Larry had a fine band, his last project was a tribute to Jobim. I was lucky enough to hear that band a few times...excellent. Fortunately Larry has several CDs out so we can dip into the well of his beautiful music as often as we like.

He battled cancer for about six months before succombing this morning. He was under Hospice care.

My understand is Eli Fountaine plays the intro on "What's Going On".

James, you were involved in the organization of that Ann Arbor Jazz fest in July 2003, weren't you? Sorry, I can't remember the exact name of the get-together, but you know what I mean. The one that brought Chris Albertson to speak at the Crowne Plaza. I'm still sorry I missed that.

I wrote part of B Motown, Mark, and hello to you my friend! Yes Greg I was on the International Association of Jazz Record Collectors convention committee. Chris' talk was very well received too and it's great to have his revised Bessie book, much new information and very well written.

Ah great! Nice to have you here!

• 3 years later...

Damn - I missed this news the first time it was announced!

I saw Larry quite a few times at Hart Plaza for the jazz fest and at Mitch's. Really liked his bands and sound.

I miss those Detroit musicians! There's nothing like that in Toronto in terms of intensity, dedication and community.

Was this Mark Stryker?

http://www.larrynozero.com/Critics.htm