#'s on Andrew Hill set

okay like all of you who preordered the Hill set, I just got my copy today... I glanced at the boc and it was #1372 of 5000. That means 27% of their supply was preordered... Damn!!!!!!!!!! I looked at the Dexter Gordon set I ordered when that first came out, an my set was #493 of 5,000. Now I know that that there's a lot of Dexter out there but this Hill set must be hot!!!!

Impressive.........

okay like all of you who preordered the Hill set, I just got my copy today... I glanced at the boc and it was #1372 of 5000. That means 27% of their supply was preordered... Damn!!!!!!!!!! I looked at the Dexter Gordon set I ordered when that first came out, an my set was #493 of 5,000. Now I know that that there's a lot of Dexter out there but this Hill set must be hot!!!!

Impressive.........

Well, no , it doesn't mean that. It just means they probably got 1500 in at least, and that's the one they grabbed. Why do you think they send them out in numerical order?

okay like all of you who preordered the Hill set, I just got my copy today... I glanced at the boc and it was #1372 of 5000. That means 27% of their supply was preordered... Damn!!!!!!!!!! I looked at the Dexter Gordon set I ordered when that first came out, an my set was #493 of 5,000. Now I know that that there's a lot of Dexter out there but this  Hill set must be hot!!!!

Impressive.........

Well, no , it doesn't mean that. It just means they probably got 1500 in at least, and that's the one they grabbed. Why do you think they send them out in numerical order?

Okay here's what I'm thinking.. when you get a regular Mosaic box you get #3222 of 5000... I'm not saying that its' mailed out in the exact sequential order. I'm saying that of the 5000 they're printing, you've got #3222. The other 3221 have already gone out... (in whatever order they went out...) So there would be then 1778 left...

So with the Andrew Hill set... my point is that they have already sold (based on preorders alone) at least 1372 or 27% of their production total... Which (to me) means this set is selling really well....

Am I making sense?

:huh:

Actually, while Mosaic does sequentially number the regular box sets as orders are filled, I don't think that's true of the prenumbered Selects. :rolleyes: They just grab one at random from their current stock and beam it to your doorstep. :g

Edited by Ron S

The printer of the boxes stamps the numbers on the boxes, the cartons of boxes are shipped to the pressing plant, day laborers at the pressing plant assemble and recarton the product, put it on a truck and ship it to Mosaic. I wonder what the order the boxes is? Random? BINGO! :g

BTW, I ordered the John Patton Select a month (or so) after the release and I got set number 0006.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

day laborers at the pressing plant assemble and recarton the product, put it on a truck and ship it to Mosaic.

How can you be so sure that some aren't assembled by the NIGHT shift??? :blink:

I don't know about any "day laborers," but I'm pretty sure tiny cobbler elves mend Michael Cuscuna's shoes in the middle of the night...

I sent an email to Mosaic regarding this numbering question and here's the answer:

The numbers on Mosaic sets are sequential as the order is placed. The system assigns the next number which you may have noticed is on the invoice that is sent to you. That number is then written in the booklet at the time of packing. There can be some exceptions such as when a set is returned and that number is then recirculated back into the system.

For Mosaic Selects, we get an initial delivery of the first 750 - 1000 sequential numbers. They are randomly picked. After that first pressing, the sets are picked at random.