"Meet the Jazztet" tonight on Night Lights

ghost of miles

This week on Night Lights it's "Meet the Jazztet," a program of recordings taken from the recent Mosaic collection of Benny Golson and Art Farmer's work for the Argo and Mercury labels between 1960 and 1962. Some of the players who passed through the Jazztet included McCoy Tyner, Harold Mabern, Curtis Fuller, and Grachan Moncur III; it remains one of jazz's alltime great hardbop groups. (Golson, Fuller, and Farmer reunited in 1984 for further performances and recordings.) We'll also hear from some of the solo records which Golson and Farmer recorded during that period. The program airs at 11:05 p.m. Saturday night (8:05 California time, 10:05 Chicago time); you can listen to it live, or wait until Monday afternoon, when it will be posted in the Night Lights archives.

Next week: "Word From Mingus," a program of Charles Mingus' spoken-word collaborations with Langston Hughes, Jean Shepherd, and Melvin Stewart.

great show GOM! Gotta get this Jazztet set, and tell 'em it was due to your show. How long is the Night Lights show?

Thanks, Patrick! The program is one hour long. (Almost, anyway; we're trying to make it 59:00 and syndication-friendly.) I'm hoping the webmaster will have the Jazztet show up in the archives by Monday afternoon.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Incidentally, the recent programs listed on the "Archives" page have 2004 instead of 2005 given as the date.

Thanks for the tip, Daniel... I'll advise the webmaster to tweak that when I e-mail him later today.

The playlist is already up on the WFIU site; everything came off the Mosaic, but in some instances I listed an individual CD if it is, or has recently been, in-print.