• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a real shame. I just joined and should be getting my first set of discs soon.

Forensic? Man, I can't wait for this set. I saw this group at Newport after Ornette's. Ornette's music brewed a looming storm that surrounded Fort Adams and threatened to break at any moment. Wayne and company taunted the storm until the rainclouds opened up and the people fled. It was incredible. It would rain for a few minutes, then stop, then it would try again, and the clouds weren't going anywhere. It was all part of an amazing afternoon of music.

That is a real shame.  I just joined and should be getting my first set of discs soon.

Forensic?

yep. My branch hs his discs and should be sending mine to me soon. I wonder if I can still access the vine structure to see who my leafs are?

I just checked and am unable to sign in to the structure page. Is it gone for all of you, too? I have no clue who two of my leafs are. Two people already contacted me, so I'll follow through and get them their discs.

Edited by John B

John,

I should still have the excel file if you need it.

I missed out on some great trees, but I'm happy to have been included in this last one. Where else could you get material like this?

It is unfortunate that one branch collapsed and they shut the whole thing down. I was a branch last set and contacted all of my leaves. Only heard back from two. Only one ever ended up following through. Guy said he was too busy to trade and offered cash. I sent the discs, no trade, no b&p, nothing. Gratis. This was all during the 23rd blindfold as well. Seemed everyone was too busy to be bothered. I'm sure things used to be different. Must be too many people signed up and looking for free shit.

So that's how you got them three weeks ago! I can't wait Lon. Awesome. I don't think that's exageration, do you? At Newport, Ornette's quartet, and Wayne's, were the DEFINITE HEAVYWEIGHTS. Everything else that day, in the end, was left behind. It was great to see the Heath Brothers again. They are always a good time, and Clark Terry enjoying his dinner sidestage while they played. And seeing Altchsul and Rudd playing together was also a kick. But man, am I glad to be getting my hands on this Forensic set. Any idea where I could find a recording of the Newport set?

Cary, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Me. . . I'm not the biggest Wayne fan these days, the "forensic" nature of his playing and concept just gets colder and colder for me. There are some great passages in these discs, and some that don't move me at all. Herbie plays wonderfullly at times, for me he's the star here. Overall it's great stuff, but perhaps for ME overkill.

BUT I think YOU and quite a few others here will really dig them!

Edited by jazzbo

Yeah, the size of the set may be a bit much, whereas one concert probably would do the trick. I understand what you are saying. Maybe it was being there that had the most impact. The music really had life and the musicians really seemed to be embodying that. They didn't seem to be examining the music, as much as the forensic tag implies.

Anyway, still a shame about the trees. Let us know if you do find anything.

"Glad" to hear that it was apparently internal problems and not enforced legal intimidation that is the problem. those estate lawyers got pretty heavy-handed there for a while from what I hear. In a way, I can understand their position, but still...

Hope the organization resurfaces eventually. I was never organized enough to participate, but through "the kindness of strangers" was able to get a taste of some of their output. Quite worthy efforts, I think, and nothing that would prevent purchasing legitimate issues of the same material should same ever come about. In fact, I feel much better about this sort of thing than the various "gray market" labels that have offered some of the same stuff over the years.

A tiny bit of news: I talked with one of the two heavies in the miles-tree org and he says that fallout from some flaming wars on miles-list (whatever dat is) were going in directions that the two partners felt were calling undue attention to the site and possibly exposing them to fiscal and legal danger. Bottom line was they wanted to do this as long as it was indeed fun, and the fun had fizzled out.

I wouldn't expect to see a return of the site in the near future.

I used to be on the Miles list. It was a discussion of all things related to Miles. It mostly sucked. I dropped out when some dipwad started berating me for something I posted about the Shorter brothers; the asshole didn't read my post correctly. That's one thing I hate about the 'net: people who hit the send key prematurely.

Bertrand.

• 2 weeks later...

John, I have an early paper listing of all the material then identified at home. . . never did get the artwork myself but haven't missed it. . . if no one has supplied you with something electronic today I'll type it out for you tomorrow. (Or mail you a photocopy).

I'm kind of new to this and I'm not sure about all the etiquette and rules of vine-ing, if that's a word. In any event, I recently received a CD-R of Miles at Newport in 1955 with Zoot, Mulligan & Monk, and his regular quintet at Newport in '66 & '67. This was through the JazzVines group at Yahoo. I just "re-vined" and am sending the disc off tomorrow to some lucky guy in Michigan. So there's definitely some Miles activity in that forum.