osby st louis shoes

montg

Gave this one a spin today. First impressions: 2 thumbs up. Payton sounds inspired, great arrangements. The two Ellington tunes stand out the most to me--man, people will be finding new things to say with Ellington's music 500 years from now. SIngle Petal was beautiful.

Nothwithstanding the Jazz Times cover story, this release was not as heavily promoted as some of Osby's previous releases.

It was not featured on the BN website until just a couple of weeks before it was released, which seemed unusual since Osby is one of BN's signature artists.

In any event, I picked it up on Friday. It is fabulous. I usually shy away from standards (and tribute) albums, but Osby really has perfected the art making bold, innovative statements with standards (without using gimmicks). He takes standards and reconfigures them, but he retains that essential part of the tune that made it worthy of becoming a standard in the first place.

This will definitely be one of the best new releases of the year. Highly recommended! :angry:

It was not featured on the BN website until just a couple of weeks before it was released, which seemed unusual since Osby is one of BN's signature artists.

Yeah but they've had the Madlib album being previewed and available for pre-order since around May 1st. :wacko: Makes me wonder......

Edited by Ed Swinnich

In any event, I picked it up on Friday. It is fabulous. I usually shy away from standards (and tribute) albums, but Osby really has perfected the art making bold, innovative statements with standards (without using gimmicks). He takes standards and reconfigures them, but he retains that essential part of the tune that made it worthy of becoming a standard in the first place.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment and also with montg's regarding Payton. I wish artists like Osby would get more conversation here, but I understand why they do not. He's been a favorite of mine since the M-base/JMT days. As a Blue Note artists, I think the past few years have really seen him mature into an oustanding artist.

St Louis Shoes adds nicely to the body of work that Osby's been creating for BLue Note for the past several years. This is an excellent album. Hope it sells.

By the way, Osby closed his recent show in Buffalo with East St.Louis Toodle-Oo. Absolutely killed. He had a quartet that night with Jason Moran on piano, so the trumpet part was missing. Nonetheless, it was something to experience.

Promotion for this in the UK has been zilch so far-I didn't even know it was out yet!Ordered it today anyway and look forward to it.I agree with Ed,Osby and his circle(Moran,Harris etc.)have been about the best things on BN for a good while and he caught my ear on those 2 Andrew Hill BN comebacks.Don't care so much for the M-Base stuff,but the last few releases have been getting better and better.