Your favorite Hutcherson Blue Note?

wolff

Which Hutcherson Blue Note gets the most  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a paycheck date Chuck? Do ya mean just show up to get the cash and go through the motions, without any attempt to make great music?

I said "paycheck band". I mean the Hutch/Land combo could get club work and record dates more easily than they could individually or by following other paths. Latter day MJQ and AEC could be labeled the same way - some money in the bank.

I always thought the Hutch/Land dates were the guys cruising beneath their real talents.

Sorry, they just don't do much for me. Seemed like a "paycheck band".

I'll agree with that assessment when it comes to SAN FRANCISCO, a date that I discarded on LP a long time ago and never felt the need to reacquire on CD.

But TOTAL ECLIPSE and MEDINA (with SPIRAL included) are terrific dates. Great "blowing" by the front line and some terrific Corea or Cowell with a very propulsive Joe Chambers thrown in. Nothing at all laid back on these sessions IMO. Ah, I guess it's the proverbial "each to his own....".

• 2 years later...

I like Components for the second half of Chambers compositions. Great stuff.

Same reason here. Side one is nice hard bop, side 2 is more adventurous.

I like "Dialogue" a lot too, although it always seemed more like an Andrew Hill record.

"Happenings" is pretty good, but after that, the sessions seemed somewhat routine. Never like the Hutcherson/Land band very much either.

Wow... can't believe I'm the only vote for Now! :bwallace:

Medina/Spiral would be a close second, then Total Eclipse.

Now has always been my fave, though (really, half of it). I think if it were more widely distributed, it would be more popular. I had the good fortune to get my copy autographed by McD! He said, "Where did you get this? I don't have this!"