Jazz artists mentioned in fiction.

Brandon Burke

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an experimental novel by German author Hartmut Geerken (who also played music, IIRC), Obduktionsprotokoll, in which a concert by the Sun Ra Arkestra in Cairo plays a central role.

Oh, and I remember a Swedish erotic short story where a teacher seduces a student to the music of the Bill Evans trio with Scott La Faro ...

Among the musicians Kerouac mentions are Allen Eager (in "The Subterraneans" under the pseudonym "Roger Beloit"), Richie Kamuca (in the same place, K spells it "Ricci Commuca"), Shearing (in "On the Road") Getz and Warne Marsh (in "Desolation Angels"), Miles Davis (in "Mexico City Blues") and, perhaps above all and most intimately, Brew Moore (in "Desolation Angels" -- K calls him "Brue").

He also speaks of following Lee Konitz and wondering what it would be to BE Lee.

If I'm not mistaken the writers of the film version of THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY inserted jazz into the narrative. Matt Damon does a pretty cringey Chet Baker impersonation and carries around Bird and Dizzy Savoy 12"ers, alongside Chet Baker Sings and, erm, Complete Communion (the story is set in the mid-to-late fifties).

• 4 months later...

In Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels, Harry often listens to Art Pepper and Frank Morgan recordings.

Michael Connelly's latest Harry Bosch novel, The Black Box, takes Connely's/Bosch's love for Jazz to a new level. Not only does he listen to the latest Art Pepper live CDs put out by his widow, he even mentions the label by name and describes in detail which tracks he really likes. Let's put it this way, I'm buying Art Pepper: Unreleased Art Vol. III, Croydon Concert because of his write up.

Harry Bosch also gets into a little challenge with another character to see if they can name a Jazz artist that the other hasn't heard of. Harry's pretty bad at it, naming somewhat well-known names like Gary Smulyan and Grace Kelly. The other guy comes up with Danny Grissette (singling out his recent CD Form and the track Let's Face The Music And Dance) & Michael Formanek.

It was pretty fun to read this one just for these Jazz mentions. They're sprinkled throughout.

Later,

Kevin

If I'm not mistaken the writers of the film version of THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY inserted jazz into the narrative. Matt Damon does a pretty cringey Chet Baker impersonation and carries around Bird and Dizzy Savoy 12"ers, alongside Chet Baker Sings and, erm, Complete Communion (the story is set in the mid-to-late fifties).

One more anachronism if I remember correctly. There's one scene where you see a stack of records in his apartment and the one on top is Miles' "Tutu". :o

Edited by BFrank

Curtis Fuller's "Five Spot After Dark" is mentioned in Huruki Murakami's novel After Dark.

Many jazz musicians are mentioned in Paul Pines' novel, The Tine Angel. Among them: Sheila Jordan, Lee Morgan, Ted Curson, Trane, Ornette, King Pleasure, Lloyd McNeill, Jeremy Steig, Mingus, Dolphy, Don Cherry, Robin Kenyatta, Monk, Cecil, and Joe Lee Wilson.