Jan Garbarek

Guest che

I have spent the evening listening to the album "In Praise of Dreams" by Jan Garbarek. This is his latest album and he has the talents of Kim Kashkashian and Manu Katche. Kashkashian is a classical musician and she creates a great sound and this goes well with Garbarek's distinctive sax playing.

I have admired his playing for years and have several albums, I recently saw him in concert, I was not that impressed with the performance on the night. But this is a good album.

Anyone else like Garbarek's music?

Che.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the albums I like are:

'Legend of The Seven Dreams' - which to me has a very strong nordic influence.

'Twelve Moons' - great rhythm section on this.

and his work with Keith Jarrett.

Che.

Solstice (Ralph Towner)

Luminessence

Nude Ants

I like these among others. I enjoy his playing but can't listen to it for an extended period of time; his sound sometimes grates on my nerves a bit. But I still like him in smallish doses.

I have a friend who refers to him as "John Garbagetruck". :)

Well when I recently saw him in concert I would have said your friend maybe right :D

On the night it was not great, but the sound he creates is very distinctive and sounds great on many of his albums.

Che.

Triptykon (w/Arild Andersen and Edward Vesala) is really good. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, though -- he's a little too anemic for me.

Guy

I can see why you say that I have some friends who would say something similar. Manfred Eicher, Garbarek's ECM producer once described his as " a very ascetic person, with an ascetic appearance, and an ascetic sound"

Some would say that this asceticism, comes from the spareness of his phrasing, and not in the feeling that undelines it.

Che.

Solstice (Ralph Towner)

Luminessence

Nude Ants

I like these among others. I enjoy his playing but can't listen to it for an extended period of time; his sound sometimes grates on my nerves a bit. But I still like him in smallish doses.

I have a friend who refers to him as "John Garbagetruck". :)

I could listen to him for a very long time, if he played more in the vein of, say, 'My Song' and 'Belonging', especially The Journey Home, on the former album. There may be more stuff out there I'm missing, but his playing on several mid-90's ECMs left me cold. That may have been due to the context he ws playing in though. I do like his tone, even though the adjectives usually used to describe it start along the lines of "icy", "sharp" or "cutting".

Anyone else out there who unapologetically loves the "Oficium" disc?

Yes I like the album, partly because I love the sound he made and I also like sacred choral music.

The album was a great success, and there was also a follow up and now he is in the process of recording Garbarek/Hillard Record, so watch out for that. It beacame on of those albums that was played and played, and to some it became a little repetative.

Che

Garbarek is a kind of a mixed bag for me, I really love some of his late 70 early 80. work, specially the trios he recorded with Charlie Haden end brasilien Egberto Gismonti for ECM, and some of late 90's stuff wars rather boaring, so its not that I would miss his records on a lonely tropical island....

Cheers, Tjobbe

Garbarek is a kind of a mixed bag for me, I really love some of his late 70 early 80. work, specially the trios he recorded with Charlie Haden end brasilien Egberto Gismonti for ECM, and some of late 90's stuff wars rather boaring, so its not that I would miss his records on a lonely tropical island....

Cheers, Tjobbe

I think there is a distinction between his 70's and 80's music and his music after this. He would say something like, I have moved beyond jazz and am now creating music. Which is not for eveyone, his last album was his first album in six years of origional music, indicates to me an evolving process.

Che.

Very much agree with this. Garbarak can, at times, be one of my favorite tenor players (in Jarrett's quartet, for example), but at other times he can be terribly boring. His tone is damn icy, which is something that I can either love or hate depending on mood.

Question: has he recorded much (anything?) outside of ECM? I'd be curious to hear him in a context other than ECM and Eicher's cooly Euro sound production...

Esoteric Circle is 1969. He's got stuff going back to 1966 in his discography. The only one of those that I've heard is Othello Ballet Suite by George Russell. The other stuff looks like it's all on Scandinavian labels.

I'm a fan of a lot of his work, particularly the recordings with Bobo Stenson, the Jarrett things and the Magico band, but I have not kept up with him much at all past the 1980s.

Mike