Jan Garbarek

Guest che

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this kind of exchange may not encourage people to post, and you guys seem to have so much experience and knowledge to share with us all B-)

Che.

No, what it is Che, they're American. And as Michael Moore is quick to point out (and the South Park creators too) Americans love to fight. They're at it all the time, every single one of them. Can't stop themselves. Just don't get caught in the crossfire. ;):P

They don't make very good cars either.

:running for cover:

Now I understand, if you had told me about them being American, then I would have understood. Still what has this got to do with a famous Norwegian Sax player?

Che.

STAR is a fine choice. I myself would vote for WICHTI-TAI-TO. Garbarek may not be represented here as a composer, but it does feature some of Garbarek's finest playing. Which is to say that it also features some of the most inspired post-Coltrane tenor saxophone playing you are likely to hear anywhere.

Honorable mention for Keith Jarrett's BELONGING.

STAR is a fine choice.  I myself would vote for WICHTI-TAI-TO.  Garbarek may not be represented here as a composer, but it does feature some of Garbarek's finest playing.  Which is to say that it also features some of the most inspired post-Coltrane tenor saxophone playing you are likely to hear anywhere.

Well, I was going to say My Song, but like Belonging I thought I would fall foul of the pedants here ;) as it was technically a Jarrett album.

And as for Star. I going to have a listen tonight and get back to you. It won't change my mind; I love it, I just need to have some hard facts about its jazz credentials. :wacko::unsure:scratchchin.gif

Edited by tonym

I myself would vote for WICHTI-TAI-TO. Garbarek may not be represented here as a composer, but it does feature some of Garbarek's finest playing...

Ditto on the former, but my Jarrett pick would be NUDE ANTS, where the live setting brings out the energy (dare I way warmth?) in Jan's playing that is often more or less just implied on the studio stuff.

I'd really like to hear that 1966 stuff. Wonder what kind of bag he was into back then...

Star with Vitous and Erskine.

And why Tony?

Che.

Have you heard it? ;)

No not this one, which is why I was interested in what you though. If you feel it is worth listening to then I may try and get it.

Che.

Well, I was going to say My Song, but like Belonging I thought I would fall foul of the pedants here ;) as it was technically a Jarrett album.

Well, screw pedantry (would that be pederastry?).

Besides, I've seen BELONGING co-billed to Garbarek.

And, yeah, Jim's onto something with NUDE ANTS. I just have a silly sentimental attachment to BELONGING and "The Windup".

Well for me there are two many to choose, but since I asked the question I will go with (drum rolls :P ) 'Legend of The Seven Dreams'.

This was an album that had Rainer Bruninghaus, that stalwart of Garbarek groups, Eberhard Weber and Nina Vasconcelos. What I like about this album is the strong Nordic influence, always a seller for me. It is a very haunting album, that lives long in my memory.

Che.

My vote, too, would be for Witchi-Tai-To or Belonging, though I tend to think of the latter as a Jarrett album. More "garbarek-y" albums that I like are Afric Pepperbird, Dansere, and Photo With...

'Afric Pepperbird' was a debut album for the long association that is Garbarek and ECM. And listening to this, for me I can see the some of the concepts, that emerged in his later years.

Some suggest that this album ows much to the influence of Coltrane and Ayler, Garbarek became interested in jazz after listening to John Coltrane.

Che.

I like most of the Garbarek's ECM albums (nice word, "album", now the musicians use "project").

Che, don't listen to all the guys above, probably they would love Garbarek only if there were some Garbarek's lp with a RVG stamp on the wax. For a lot of people ECM records are not interesting because they can't not discuss about the late 2256871399746985 bit or SupermegaHyper audio cd remastering. Is there any better music then "I took up the runes" for your car's trips? ;)

I like most of the Garbarek's ECM albums (nice word, "album", now the musicians use "project").

Che, don't listen to all the guys above, probably they would love Garbarek only if there were some Garbarek's lp with a RVG stamp on the wax. For a lot of people ECM records are not interesting because they can't not discuss about the late 2256871399746985 bit or SupermegaHyper audio cd remastering. Is there any better music then "I took up the runes" for your car's trips? ;)

porcy.

Thank you for your post which I found useful, and I appreciate your contributions to the discussion on Jan Garbarek.

Che.

Garbarek and me go back a long way,one of those touchstone players whom I always keep up with although perhaps with some of the old fervour dissapated now.One album I do find a hard listen is Aftenland-all a bit too shrill tonally with the pipe organ an' all.A favourite set for me would be Places(sits nicely alongside Bill Connors Of Mist and Melting which he guested on).

Outside of the ECM label,he appears rarely-I may be wrong but think he crops up on one of his daughter Anja's sets.There was Trilok Gurtu's Living Magic on CMP and NHOP's Unchartered Land(little known as it is well worth hunting down)Pre ECM,there's the live Trip To Prillaguri set on Soul Note,the orchestral Electronic Sonata and other bits released as "The Essence Of George Russell" and some Norway only releases which had I my Garbarek biography by Michael Tucker could list but it's been "borrowed" by a friend about 3 years ago.There were also a couple of Karin Krog sets on Sonet that he played on,I think some of this material has just been issued on CD recently.

I myself would vote for WICHTI-TAI-TO.  Garbarek may not be represented here as a composer, but it does feature some of Garbarek's finest playing... 

Ditto on the former, but my Jarrett pick would be NUDE ANTS, where the live setting brings out the energy (dare I way warmth?) in Jan's playing that is often more or less just implied on the studio stuff.

His solo on "New Dance" is surprisingly robust and gutsy!

Guy

• 5 months later...

I myself would vote for WICHTI-TAI-TO.  Garbarek may not be represented here as a composer, but it does feature some of Garbarek's finest playing... 

His solo on "New Dance" is surprisingly robust and gutsy!

Guy

Replying to my own post here.

I'd had most of the KJ Euroqtt. live albums as illicit MP3s for a while, but recently picked up the albums. I hadn't heard the title track to Personal Mountains before, but Garbarek WAILS on this tune.

Guy