Bill Triglia

Michael Fitzgerald

Just noticed that today is the birthday of pianist Bill Triglia, born this day in 1924.

I've done a Triglia discography on my website and I know that there are Triglia fans here. He's played with so many of the legends and is himself an underrecognized legend. He was also an early jazz taper, and not just of his own gigs - I'd love to learn more about what he's got in his collection.

So let's wish him a happy 81st!

Mike

Indeed.

I know him primarily for his associations with Mingus and Tony Fruscella (is he the source / one of the sources of that treasure-trove of Fruscella club material?). Would welcome more recommendations of his work.

I do know he brings a lot to this recording:

e06242ufiaq.jpg

Edited by Joe

I love Bill, both personally and musically. He's a nut, but a loveable nut, and, in my opinion, one of the great post-war beboppers, whose sound was a very personal distillation of both Bud Powell, and Al Haig (his two favorites, as he has told me) - listen to his playing on the Mingus Debut with Mingus, Knepper, Maini and Danny Richmond, also on the Honeydew bootlegs - he plays well, also, on the Schildkraut CD I put out - Bill also helped a lot of younger musicians, hired them and nurtured them. He's a truly important figure in the music, and thanks for bringing him up. I need to give him a call -

just wanted to add a good little anecdote here - before the Eastwood movie came out about Bird (which had a similar incident), Bill told me a great little story about playing an Orthodox Jewish wedding in Brooklyn, at which Bird showed up (I think they may have had some later gig) - Bird sat in with the band and, as Bill described it, one old man was so inspired by Bird's playing that he got up on a table and started dancing - wish I coulda been there -

A quick addition - Bill Triglia also plays on Don Joseph's fine Uptown LP, One of a Kind. It hasn't been reissued on CD yet, but the LP may still be available. It's worth seeking out and hearing.

Belated happy birthday wishes to Mr. Triglia.

Yes, I have lps of this wonderful date (Al Cohn, Red Mitchell and Joey Baron are the rest of the band). Get in touch if you are interested.

• 1 year later...