mccoy tyner

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I had a bad feeling this might happen. I'm grateful that this material is coming out, but I was really, really hoping for a big-box treatment of Tyner's BN material. However, the pattern of RVG releases sort of foretold this. I'll definitely buy the Select, but with some disappointment. Better than ongoing OOP status...

I desperately have mixed feelings... I was SO hoping the full BN box was coming to come out... For example "Time for Tyner" (although briefly released as a CD a few years back) is one of my favorite McCoy records.....

I'm sure they could have found some extra stuff... I just zipped over to AMG and they list some of the following as 1960's BN dates (that presumably would have been on a box set)..

The Real McCoy

Tender Moments

Time for Tyner

Expansions

Cosmos

Extensions

Asante

Although I have 3 of those (The Real McCoy, Time for Tyner & Extensions) I definitely would have bought the box....

Wasn't "Tender Moments" also released on CD??

:unsure:

Do we an ETA on the Select set?? (Other than next year?)

Should we start a lobbying campaign for the box set????

Guest akanalog

so this select won't have the unissued session i guess...

one question about the unissued mystery (vitous, mouzon, burton, shorter?)-i heard wayne shorter quoted as denigrating this session-well more denigrating duke P's production. but i have also heard the session is pretty free-now i would picture a pearson produced session being more commercial than on the free end. what is the deal?

also, does anyone else feel that tyner's final blue notes have this nice sort of riff-based jazz thing going on with a spiritual edge, but then on the milestone or fantasy or whatever albums came after, the riffs got a little over-muscular and the spiritual edge was sort of lost in all the trappings around it?

so this select won't have the unissued session i guess...

one question about the unissued mystery (vitous, mouzon, burton, shorter?)-i heard wayne shorter quoted as denigrating this session-well more denigrating duke P's production. but i have also heard the session is pretty free-now i would picture a pearson produced session being more commercial than on the free end. what is the deal?

Pearson also produced SUPER NOVA, ODYSSEY OF ISKA, & MOTO GROSSO FEIO for Wayne, none of which are evern remotely commercial.

Well, those sessions DID have commercial potential . . . for alienated white loners who were turned on by electric Miles and looking for whatever we could find in that vein. . .

All 22 of us. . . .

Hmmmm. . . .yeah, no commercial potential really. But good productions!

I bought COSMOS on issue back in the day, and was underwhelmed. Left it alone for years (decades, actually). Pulled it out a few years ago to burn for some friends, and liked it significantly more.

Wonder if the Select will contain only the albums listed, or maybe a little more?

does anyone else feel that tyner's final blue notes have this nice sort of riff-based jazz thing going on with a spiritual edge, but then on the milestone or fantasy or whatever albums came after, the riffs got a little over-muscular and the spiritual edge was sort of lost in all the trappings around it?

Eventually, yeah, but not immediately. The first 2-3 years at Milestone were pretty impressive, imo, but then things started getting a bit predictable. Again, not all at once, but over time.

Milestone was releasing 2-3 Tyner albums per year back then. Hard to have something new every time.

epithet, cosmos is a double album. as i said, there has to be room for one more recording in this select, besides the ones mentioned. expansions, maybe.

i think a mosaic select is perfect, at least pricewise. we certainly don't need a box with ,the real mccoy,& time for tyner, both out as rvg's. so what's left, tender moments (which can't be that hard to find), and an unissued session.

Edited by mike casinghino

epithet, cosmos is a double album. as i said, there has to be room for one more recording in this select, besides the ones mentioned. expansions, maybe.

i think a mosaic select is perfect, at least pricewise. we certainly don't need a box with ,the real mccoy,& time for tyner, both out as rvg's. so what's left, tender moments (which can't be that hard to find), and an unissued session.

Some of Cosmos was on the Asante CD release, though. It's going to be one and a half albums I don't have already, and potentially Expansions, if I understand correctly after calming down and re-reading.

(Just to say, it's Tender Moments that just got released as an RVG, not Time for Tyner.)

oops, the rvg ed. of time for tyner is scheduled for a summer release. i see that tender moments is avilable as an rvg. so it's down to the unissued session. so what would be the best case scenario.

cosmos

asante

extensions

expansions

unissued session

that would cover everything not out as an rvg, and it should all fit on a select. just speculation on my part.

Edited by mike casinghino

oops, the rvg ed. of time for tyner is scheduled for a summer release. i see that tender moments is avilable as an rvg. so it's down to the unissued session. so what would be the best case scenario.

cosmos

asante

extensions

expansions

unissued session

that would cover everything not out as an rvg, and it should all fit on a select. just speculation on my part.

That's right too!!

Just heard the set will be Expansions, Extensions, Cosmos and Asante. No unissued session and a tentative release date of january 2006. McMastered will it be!!!!!!!!!!

very mixed feelings....

I'm delirious as a big McCoy fan...especially since the only one of that set that I have is Extensions... but I'm totally bummed about the lack of the full box set....

Do we know what actually happened prohibiting the full box???

I know jazzmatazz said it was in doubt due to the infamous "licensing issues,'" but that doesn't really say much...

anybody now the inside story...

Of course I'll preordered the Select set....(maybe even 2) ....

:unsure::rolleyes: B-)