John Dennis

Hardbopjazz

Today I was listening to "Out to Lunch" on WKCR. The theme was 1955. They played a tune by John Dennis, a piano player. It was from his only album called "New Piano Expressions." It was with Charles Mingus and Max Roach. The tune they played was really good.

What ever happen to this guy? It doesn't appear that he recorded anything else in his career as a leader or a sideman.

Re: Tyner...

I must have been mis-remembering.

From the Fantasy web-site:

In a 1990 article by Gene Santoro, Jimmy Heath recalled that pianist John Dennis was nicknamed “Fat Genius” by Philadelphia musicians and Muhal Richard Abrams praised Dennis’s “full pianistic approach,” which blended a cocktail style with jazz and classical strains.

Will see if I can track down the Santoro article in question.

In a 1990 article by Gene Santoro, Jimmy Heath recalled that pianist John Dennis was nicknamed “Fat Genius” by Philadelphia musicians and Muhal Richard Abrams praised Dennis’s “full pianistic approach,” which blended a cocktail style with jazz and classical strains.

Re-printed in DANCING IN YOUR HEAD, maybe?

In his Charles Mingus biography 'Myself When I'm Real', all Santoro had to say about John Dennis was:

Philadelphia pianist John Dennis teamed with Mingus, Roach, and Thad Jones, and then without Jones. For 'All the Things You Are', a standard boppers often recomposed, Denis played a baroque intro, explicitly connecting bop improvisation and fugue.'

Not a single mention of John Dennis after that.

Re-printed in DANCING IN YOUR HEAD, maybe?

More than likely. Santoro was cotributing regualr to the VOICE and the ATLANTIC MONTHLY then, was he not?

• 1 year later...

Even though I already have the trio sessions on the Mingus Debut box, I went ahead & picked up NEW PIANO EXPRESSIONS as part of the $2.98 blowout Concord sale... and am I glad that I did. This CD is wonderful to listen to. I'm going to hunt around for Dmitry's interview online. Man, I wish JD had recorded more!