Looking for Some Sinatra

bebopbob

This is probably the wrong board for this post but it's the only board I know and visit.

Aside from half, tower, amazon, ebay...the usual internet sites, is there any place on the net or actual "brick and mortar" shop where I can I buy a copy of the following Sinatra CD for a "Sinatraphile" friend's upcoming birthday.

- Softly, As I Leave You contains "The Look of Love"

Any sightings in a CD shop would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by bebopbob

I'll keep an eye out. Does your friend already have the Columbia box? (Not suggesting that you get it for him!) It's gone OOP, but superdupermall.com and some other online places still have it.

Somebody else posted about these CDs, which sound quite interesting:

Perfectly Frank

Also check out the Sinatra Family Forum. You might be able to get some help on the single title there.

Edited by ghost of miles

I'll keep an eye out. Does your friend already have the Columbia box? (Not suggesting that you get it for him!) It's gone OOP, but superdupermall.com and some other online places still have it.

Perfectly Frank

Also check out the Sinatra Family Forum. You might be able to get some help on the single title there.

Wow, I just checked out the Sinatra Forum per your link. Those people there are wild! You're unlikely to find a greater bunch of Sinatra devotees anywhere. Really into his output from start to finish.

I found the CD used a few years ago. The album it reproduces is one of those singles complialtions htat he put out in between "concept" albums. Some good-enough stuff on there, but a lot of "ring-a-ding-ding" type fluff that's far from the cream of that particular crop, and some Jimmy Bowen-produced MOR pop stuff, none of it even remotely memorable. If you just want that one song and don't care about the album per se, I'd highly recommend getting the song in that compilation that kulu mentions. Much better stuff on there overall.

I'll keep an eye out.  Does your friend already have the Columbia box?  (Not suggesting that you get it for him!)  It's gone OOP, but superdupermall.com and some other online places still have it.

Perfectly Frank

Also check out the Sinatra Family Forum.  You might be able to get some help on the single title there.

Wow, I just checked out the Sinatra Forum per your link. Those people there are wild! You're unlikely to find a greater bunch of Sinatra devotees anywhere. Really into his output from start to finish.

No doubt.

The place seems very lively.

Start a bootleg thread there- state that you want to see more Sinatra music similar to the Miles boxes with different takes and false starts. More concerts.......say you're a Rick Apt fan.

......then DUCK.........especially when Nancy comes out of nowhere to defend "da Fambly"

It's Evangelical.......

It's the Church of Sinatra!

bebopbob: There's supposedly a copy of Softly, As I Leave You (love the placement of that comma!) currently available for $21 from a new Amazon seller.

ON THE EDIT: Hmmm... Hope you were the one to get it. Probably not the best idea for me to post a link on this board. PM might have been a better idea. See Plan 2 below.

~~~~~~~~~~

A better idea: Buy your friend these:

56232.gif

FROM THE VAULTS, VOLUME ONE -- $12 at World Records

56233.gif

FROM THE VAULTS, VOLUME TWO -- $9 at World Records

If your friend truly is a Sinatraphile and he hasn't heard these, he'll be tickled pink. (Or she will!)

:party:

PS: I won't tell you how much these two cost me a few years back! :excited:

PPS: vajerzy: NANCY RULES!

:unsure:

Not really, though.

Edited by Chaney

A better idea: Buy your friend these:

56232.gif

56233.gif

If your friend truly is a Sinatraphile and he hasn't heard these, he'll be tickled pink. (Or she will!)

PS: I won't tell you how much these two cost me a few years back! :excited:

PPS: vajerzy: NANCY RULES!

Not really, though.

From what period(s) are these two releases from? The photos looks '50s-ish but that's no definite indication that the music is from that period. I have a strong bias when it comes to Sinatra, i.e., I favor the 1953-'67 period. Generally I don't like the pre-Nelson Riddle arrangements and I definitely cannot abide post-initial retirement Blue Eyes.

From what period(s) are these two releases from?  The photos looks '50s-ish but that's no definite indication that the music is from that period.  I have a strong bias when it comes to Sinatra, i.e., I favor the 1953-'67 period.  Generally I don't like the pre-Nelson Riddle arrangements and I definitely cannot abide post-initial retirement Blue Eyes.

Sinatra. Session material / outtakes. Capitol.

Quoting myself:

FROM THE VAULTS which has outtakes of Nice N' Easy, I Thought About You, Weep They Will, Same Old Song and Dance, Where Or When, Stars Fell On Alabama, What Is This Thing Called Love, I Got Plenty O' Nothin', Easy To Love, You And The Night And The Music.

FROM THE VAULTS TWO AND MORE: What Is This Thing Called Love, The Tender Trap, Moonlight In Vermont, Lush Life, Willow Weep For Me, Gone With The Wind, She's Funny That Way, How Deep Is The Ocean. The "And More" = I've Got The World On A Strain & Day In, Day Out (live BBC broadcast 1953) and Take A Chance (live 1954); and tracks from the 1957 / 1958 television series.

Edited by Chaney

• 2 weeks later...

Any new leads on this one? I bought the $21.00 copy up for sale on Amazon a couple of weeks ago for my girlfriend thanks to a lead on the board. Unfortunately, there's been no CD and no response from the seller on this transaction so far. Based on past experience, it appears that the disc is lost in the mail.

Willing to buy a clean/mint -- non BMG/Columbia House record club copy of this recording on CD for $25.00.

Thanks.

Bob

bebopbob:  There's supposedly a copy of Softly, As I Leave You (love the placement of that comma!) currently available for $21 from a new Amazon seller.

ON THE EDIT:  Hmmm...  Hope you were the one to get it.  Probably not the best idea for me to post a link on this board.  PM might have been a better idea.  See Plan 2 below.

~~~~~~~~~~

A better idea:  Buy your friend these:

56232.gif

56233.gif

If your friend truly is a Sinatraphile and he hasn't heard these, he'll be tickled pink.  (Or she will!)

PS:  I won't tell you how much these two cost me a few years back!  :excited:

PPS:  vajerzy:  NANCY RULES!

Not  really, though.

I took up your suggestion and got these "vault" issues. They indeed are al lot of fun to listen to. What cinched the purchase for me was the fact that as much as I like Sinatra (for me, that encompasses ONLY the 1953-67 period, i.e, the Capitols thru the early Reprises), I've occasionally bemoaned the fact that he ignored quite a few tunes beloved by jazz listeners, e.g., "'Round Midnight", "Green Dolphin Street", "Invitation" and up to acquiring these CDs, I had included "Lush Life" in that list. While he doesn't do a complete take, it is definitely of interest what he does do here. Wish he could have made a complete take - the tune is a bitch as any musician can attest.

Edited by MartyJazz