Favorite Monk tune?

cannonball-addict

What is your favorite Thelonious Monk tune?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monk wrote so many great tunes. You left out some of my favorites from your list, e.g., "Four in One", "Criss Cross", "Bye-Ya", etc. , that your poll for me is rather meaningless. However, if forced to choose from your abbreviated list and purposely leaving out the ballads, I see I'm the only one that so far prefers "Evidence". When you listen to the spacing and angularity of that tune, it's no wonder that whenever there's a tribute to Monk's music, this one is hardly played. Rather, the group or groups stick with the ballads, e.g., 'Round Midnight or the blues, e.g., "Blue Monk","Straight No Chaser", etc.

One interesting poll would be to see which of Monk's ballads is a favorite. While ''Round Midnight" would undoubtedly come in first, there might be some support for "Reflections" (a personal favorite of mine ever since I first heard Sonny's version with Monk on VOLUME 2 on Blue Note), "Pannonica", "Ruby My Dear", "Ugly Beauty", "Ask Me Now", "Coming on the Hudson", and more I'm sure.

Marty, you are a sour person; a party pooper. Of course I left out several of your "favorites". I would have liked to include "Ruby, My Dear," "Crepuscule for Nellie," and others. Would you rather in the future I provide a caveat in the original post that says, "I left out......because I ran out of room."

Have you ever tried making a poll on this bboard? It only allows for 10 choices. I voted for "Ask Me Now." If you listen to it, it sounds good.

Marty, you are a sour person; a party pooper. Of course I left out several of your "favorites". I would have liked to include "Ruby, My Dear," "Crepuscule for Nellie," and others. Would you rather in the future I provide a caveat in the original post that says, "I left out......because I ran out of room."

Have you ever tried making a poll on this bboard? It only allows for 10 choices. I voted for "Ask Me Now." If you listen to it, it sounds good.

No, I never did try to create a poll on this board (I don't even know how to). But with only 10 choices for Monk tunes, I don't know how you even decided to attempt it. There I go again pooping on your parade I guess.

As for "Ask Me Now", sure it "sounds good" (BTW, I love Steve Lacy's version on one of the early Prestige/New Jazz recordings he made), all of Monk's tunes do. :tup

I did not vote. Too many Monk tunes I love.

Besides what made Monk so unique was that when he played standards, he turned them into Monk compositions. 'Just a Gigolo', 'I'm Getting Sentimental Over you', 'Don't Blame Me' are just some examples. There are others...

If I HAD to vote for one tune written by Monk, I probably would cast my ballot for 'Crepuscule With Nellie'!