Favorite Monk tune?

cannonball-addict

What is your favorite Thelonious Monk tune?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow--I didn't think I'd hear someone else say "Locomotive". As Chuck noted, a lot of it is a performance/composition thing, and I have an affection for the whole of Underground, anyway. I'll also list "Well You Needn't", "Monk's Mood"... you keep going long enough you list everything.

• 9 months later...

I'm going to bend the rules a little, and say "favorite Monk performance of one of his tunes".

Straight No Chaser, from the 1959 Riverside album "Five By Monk By Five". The piano accompaniment for the horns is absolutely amazing, and has stuck vividly in my mind ever since I first heard it (on LP) - generations ago, lol. When I play this, Monk always draws my attention away from the horn solos (which are not exactly shabby, being by Charlie Rouse and Thad Jones).

But, of course, he wrote so many wonderful tunes and made so many fantastic recordings.

[i just read the thread about people who saw Trane live. Well I got to see Monk live. It was in 1971 on that "Giants of Jazz" tour. Art Blakey was right, it was a bad idea, though I'm glad I got to see all those great players. At least the tour led to those superb trio recordings in London, which, sadly, turned out to be Monk's last.

Monk was mentally a mess on that tour. He played purely by reflex, and when I saw him backstage, he seemed to have lost all motor control. His eyes were rolling around in a weird way, poor guy. Diz was looking after him and getting ice cream for him.]

[i just read the thread about people who saw Trane live. Well I got to see Monk live. It was in 1971 on that "Giants of Jazz" tour. Art Blakey was right, it was a bad idea, though I'm glad I got to see all those great players. At least the tour led to those superb trio recordings in London, which, sadly, turned out to be Monk's last.

Monk was mentally a mess on that tour. He played purely by reflex, and when I saw him backstage, he seemed to have lost all motor control. His eyes were rolling around in a weird way, poor guy. Diz was looking after him and getting ice cream for him.]

I was also saw the "Giants of Jazz" - at the Dominion, Tottenham Court Road, London. I had previously seen Monk in April 1961 at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester when his quartet were in a double bill with the Jazz Messengers.

well, the true measure of hipness here would be to come up with a Monk song nobody else ever heard of - since there is no such thing I will become the hippest person ever by saying Just You Just Me from the standards album - Monk plays a cool little riff to the chords, in unison with Pettiford, as I recall -

damn, I'm so cool it should be illegal in 14 states - along with sodomy, sex with car accident victims*, and dancing with a mailman-

*Lenny Bruce reference; damn that's hip

Edited by AllenLowe

well, the true measure of hipness here would be to come up with a Monk song nobody else ever heard of - since there is no such thing I will become the hippest person ever by saying Just You Just Me from the standards album - Monk plays a cool little riff to the chords, in unison with Pettiford, as I recall -

damn, I'm so cool it should be illegal in 14 states - along with sodomy, sex with car accident victims*, and dancing with a mailman-

*Lenny Bruce reference; damn that's hip

Of course, Monk's "Evidence" is based on the chords of "Just You Just Me" .... ;)

Quite astonishing, but besides Misterioso, Ruby and 'Round Midnight, two of my very favourites have only been mentioned once in this thread (twice if you include mikeweil's list): Reflections and Criss Cross.

Bright Mississippi is another fun one.

And for standards, I think it would have to be Lulu for me - and how about that weird "There's Danger In Your Eyes, Cherie", from "Alone in San Francisco"?!