What 78 are you spinning right now ?

Clunky

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

dog i saw at goodwill something i never saw before a 12" victor scroll 78.   probably sounded amazing.  unfortuantely it was some sweedish choral thing and didnt have a lot of redeeming content for me, but it was a 12" victor scroll

I've got a few - 3 or 4 Paul Whitemans (with Bix on a couple) and one by the great Greek clarinetist Gus Gadinas.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 0:34 PM, jeffcrom said:

Just poking around the web, I can't find any CDs with tracks by Ford Dabney or Tim Brymm. The 1913-14 James Reese Europe Victors have shown up one or two at a time on CD - at least the ragtime sides. Stomp and Swerve on Archeophone has "Castle House Rag." I have three ragtime collections on the British Saydisc label: I'll Dance till de Sun Breaks Though has "Castle Walk," Rusty Rags has "Castle Walk" and "You're Here and I'm Here," and Too Much Mustard has "Down Home Rag." I have no idea how easy or difficult to find these discs are now.

If you just want to hear the Europe Victors, rather than "own" them, wait about a week. The next entry in my 78 blog will feature all eight of Europe's Victor sides. (Of course I have all the original records. Don't be ridiculous!) I'll post a link here.

In the meantime, there's this:

http://78rpmblog.blogspot.com/2015/11/an-early-zonophone-rag-creole-belles.html

Eyes open, mouth shut! :ph34r:

Scottdale+String+Band+Okeh.jpg

Some great old-time country today:

Leake County Revelers, from Mississippi:

Rockin' Yodel / Julia Waltz (Columbia)
Wednesday Night Waltz / Good Night Waltz (Columbia, late 1940s reissue)

Roane County Ramblers, from east Tennessee:

Southern No. 111 / Home Town Blues (Columbia)

Marion Underwood (as Floyd Russell), from Kentucky; flip by Frank Jenkins (as Louis Watson), from North Carolina:

Coal Creek March / Home Sweet Home (Silvertone). These are both banjo solos. "Coal Creek" is one of the great early banjo records.

Dock Walsh, from North Carolina:

Knocking on the Hen House Door / We Courted in the Rain (Columbia)
I'm Free at Last / The East Bound Train (Columbia)

and Walsh with the North Carolina Tar Heels:

When the Good Lord Sets You Free / I Love My Mountain Home

Scottdale String Band (They worked in the cotton mill in Scottdale, Georgia, about 7-8 miles from my house.) All on Okeh:

Carolina Glide / My Own Iona
Chinese Breakdown / In the Shade of the Parasol
Down Yonder / Sea March

R-10327493-1495388589-6023.jpeg.jpg

Bebop and such tonight:

Bennie Green - Expense Account / Blow Your Horn (Decca, 1953)

Milt Jackson Quartet - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea / Milt Meets Sid (Dee Gee, 1951)

Wardell Gray - Blue Lou, parts 1 & 2 (Modern Music, 1947)

J.J. Johnson - Jay Jay / Coppin' the Bop (Savoy, 1946)

Charlie Parker - Moose the Mooche / Yardbird Suite (Dial, 1946)

Charlie Parker - A Night in Tunisia / Ornithology (Dial, 1946)

Metronome All Stars - Overtime / Victory Ball (RCA Victor, 1949)

9 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-10327493-1495388589-6023.jpeg.jpg

Bebop and such tonight:

Bennie Green - Expense Account / Blow Your Horn (Decca, 1953)

Milt Jackson Quartet - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea / Milt Meets Sid (Dee Gee, 1951)

Wardell Gray - Blue Lou, parts 1 & 2 (Modern Music, 1947)

J.J. Johnson - Jay Jay / Coppin' the Bop (Savoy, 1946)

Charlie Parker - Moose the Mooche / Yardbird Suite (Dial, 1946)

Charlie Parker - A Night in Tunisia / Ornithology (Dial, 1946)

Metronome All Stars - Overtime / Victory Ball (RCA Victor, 1949)

Nice listening session!

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

im listening too.  are these really rare.

I got lucky - found the three twelve-inch records together at a local record store that had 78s for a while. One of sleeves had a sticker for the Cable Piano Company in Atlanta, which also sold records. Since then I've found several other records with the Cable sticker on either the sleeve or the label. The building burned in 1936.

tumblr_mggs2rFOBn1qfkagro1_1280.jpg

i saw my 1st 12" victor scroll the other week at goodwill however it was sweedish choral music.  this has way more general redeeming value, altough those people still make good pasteries ;) 

OH BY THE WAY DOG.........

mint edison discs.  theres nothing i need to worry about there, right.  5 or 6 of em, at least 4 were as mint as you get.  not white label ones, the all black ones.  i cant even play those, correct, they had complete gloss

theyre putting the fire out!

walkin-and-swingin.png

A bunch of Andy Kirk Decca records (1937-1945), inspired by finding a "sunburst" Kirk Decca for a buck "in the wild" today. I won't list them all, but the highlights were "Walkin' and Swingin'," "Bear Down" (for Mary Lou Williams' piano solo), "A Mellow Bit of Rhythm," and "McGhee Special" - the last one being a tour de force for young Howard McGhee, of course.

These discs reminded me what a great arranger Mary Lou Williams was. There are some really imaginative things here, like the low-register saxes with tenor lead in "Mellow Bit of Rhythm" and the four saxes with trumpet lead on "Walkin' and Swingin'."

• 1 month later...

400985717769.jpg

Today I did something I usually don't do - play all my discs from one label, more or less. In this case, the Arto/Bell group, which operated through the 1920s. If anyone cares about esoteric record company history, Arto was formed first, and soon began making records for the W.T. Grant chain store, whose record label was called Bell. Ironically, Arto folded after a few years, but Bell lasted a decade; the later issues were pressed by the Plaza record group and Gennett. Arto / Bell's one big hit was "Arkansas Blues" by Lucille Hegamin. It was leased and issued by about a dozen labels; I have it on the obscure Famous label, which was apparently pressed by Paramount. (The relationships between record labels in the 1920s can bafflingly complex.)

My one Arto, by Hegamin, a popular vaudeville blues singer, is pictured above. I have some really nice Bells, by the Original Memphis Five, the California Ramblers (as Golden Gate Orchestra), the Original Indiana Five (as the Red Hot Syncopators), and the anonymous but excellent Superior Jazz Band. I also have a fun little oddity - a 1924 demonstration record called "Broadcasting Grant's Greetings." It's a simulated radio broadcast with the announcer extolling the value and superiority of Bell records. The flip side is a dance band.

On 4/4/2018 at 8:31 PM, jeffcrom said:

It's a simulated radio broadcast with the announcer extolling the value and superiority of Bell records. The flip side is a dance band.

That feels like a joke, flows like a joke, walks and talks like a joke, but I know it's not?

• 2 months later...

A flood in the bathroom has affected the electrics near my hifi.

So I’m sitting elsewhere playing a pile of 78s on a tiny portable turntable. So lots of random gems Satch, Billie, Lee Konitz. 

Good Bait by Dizzy Gillespie on Manor. I’ve never noticed previously that Count Basie gets co-credit for this classic. Tadd Dameron really could write some amazing tunes. I assume that Bill Basie had little to do with writing this. I’ll need to see if it’s covered in Tadd’s biography.

16 hours ago, paul secor said:

Hope the flood mess gets cleaned up soon. Thanks for posting the 78 update!

Flood under control but still wary of switching hifi on. So I’m back to working my way through a small of around thirty 78s. 

This afternoon

Fess Williams —- Razors edge/ Number Ten —/ (Brunswick UK)

Fletcher Henderson——Sensation/Fidgety feet—-(Brunswick UK)

Bud Freeman Trio—— Exactly like you/ Blue Room ——( Commodore)

and now some Billie with Teddy Wilson . What’s not to like. Very relaxing way to listen to 78s by sitting right by the record player

I’ve had to dispose of around sixty 78s to regain some control of the spread of my collection around the house. They’re going to Oxfam as it’s just too much hassle to try and sell. None are especially valuable as it is.

Being kept however is this very worn disc, an edge bite just into the music but despite its worn appearance it plays pretty well. 

Charlie Jackson ——The cats got the measles/ I got what it takes but it breaks my heart to give it away ———( Paramount)

Ukelele blues , serous stuff. I’ve three Paramount shellac discs. All in poor condition but all testament to extraordinary musicians in extraordinary times.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

I’ve had to dispose of around sixty 78s to regain some control of the spread of my collection around the house. They’re going to Oxfam as it’s just too much hassle to try and sell. None are especially valuable as it is.

Being kept however is this very worn disc, an edge bite just into the music but despite its worn appearance it plays pretty well. 

Charlie Jackson ——The cats got the measles/ I got what it takes but it breaks my heart to give it away ———( Paramount)

Ukelele blues , serous stuff. I’ve three Paramount shellac discs. All in poor condition but all testament to extraordinary musicians in extraordinary times.

Paramount = (often) great music + poor pressings. (I'm just judging by reissues. Don't have any original 78s.)

• 1 month later...

R-6194039-1429389420-8701.jpeg.jpg

Paul Robeson - Songs of Free Men, a four-disc album on Columbia. I needed this strong music today. It's hard to see in this picture, but the snake has a swastika on it.
Also, for his birthday, a bunch of Louis Armstrong from the 1920s - original issues and American and British issues from the 20s and 30s, in varying conditions. It was all gorgeous, even my very scratched-up original Okeh of Beau Koo Jack.

3 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-6194039-1429389420-8701.jpeg.jpg

Paul Robeson - Songs of Free Men, a four-disc album on Columbia. I needed this strong music today. It's hard to see in this picture, but the snake has a swastika on it.
Also, for his birthday, a bunch of Louis Armstrong from the 1920s - original issues and American and British issues from the 20s and 30s, in varying conditions. It was all gorgeous, even my very scratched-up original Okeh of Beau Koo Jack.

Nice to see you back Jeff!!

gregmo

On 7/26/2017 at 10:49 AM, jeffcrom said:

s-l1000.jpg

I came home from my west coast trip with a stack of about 25 78s, found in Bellingham, Washington. Included were half a dozen 1927-29 Red Nichols Brunswicks in original sleeves. I cleaned and spun the Nichols discs last night and really enjoyed them - interesting arrangements, great clarinet by Pee Wee Russell, Benny Goodman, and Fud Livingston, trombone by Miff Mole and Jack Teagarden, and plenty of Adrian Rollini's bass sax.

This stack of Red Nichols and His Five Pennies again. This time the arrangements, by Nichols and Fud Livingston, seemed even more striking - full of unusual voicings and tone colors, like Dudley Fosdick's mellophone, which shows up on many of these sides.

13 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Riverboat_shuffle.jpg

A couple of months ago I acquired my first red-label Okeh Bix Beiderbecke 78 - Riverboat Shuffle/Ostrich Walk by Frankie Trumbauer. It's a little worn, so there is some surface noise, but with the right stylus and EQ, the sound is really vibrant.

Forgive me for being a bit lazy in not looking through this (great!) thread to find out, but I'm wondering what turntable/cartridge/stylus you use to play your 78s. Some of these--like this one!--are so valuable, I'd almost be scared to play them at all!

gregmo

3 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Forgive me for being a bit lazy in not looking through this (great!) thread to find out, but I'm wondering what turntable/cartridge/stylus you use to play your 78s. Some of these--like this one!--are so valuable, I'd almost be scared to play them at all!

gregmo

When I got into 78 madness a few years back I found a vintage Miracord turntable with 78 speed and set it up with a Grado 78 cartridge. I used that until a couple of years ago, when I got a very flexible Rek-O-Kut table (I hate the name, but it goes back for years) made by Esoteric Sound. I play LPs, 45s, and 78s of all types on it. I use an Ortofon Blue cartridge for LPs and 45s. When I'm ready to play 78s, I take off that headshell and put on the one with a Stanton cartridge (don't know the model). I have six styli of different sizes I can use with the Stanton - some 78s sound better with a larger stylus, some with a smaller one. It takes me about 45 seconds to change out the headshell and adjust the tracking weight, and just seconds to pop one stylus off and replace it with another.

The Esoteric Sounds table gives me the flexibility to play every record with the ideal setup. I have half a dozen 12" hi-fi 78s made in the 1950s by Ewing Nunn's Audiophile label. They sound amazing when played mono with a microgroove stylus, as intended. They always sounded lousy on my Miracord table, with the 78 cartridge and larger stylus. I also have a few modern 78s that need to be played in stereo with a microgroove needle. I have a few 33 RPM discs of radio airchecks from the 1940s that I can now play with the larger stylus they need.

So, yes, I'm either:

A) a serious 78 collector
B) insane
C) both of the above.