Clunky

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more 12"'s!!!

Commodore:  --Lee Wiley!!!

--Ralph Sutton "in a mist"!!

Asch: 3 james p johnsons (from a series it seems, no booklet)

- higher serial number james p johnson not from above mentioned series

-Paul Whiteman Orch- "among my souviners: Victor Scroll label- very dynamic!!!

a buck on the blue notes, fifty cents/ea for the rest

ah!  heres the cover for my records, which was not included today

R-12554070-1537517133-6572.jpeg.jpg

NON 78-RPM RELATED- OH MY GOD MOSES ASCH TUNED IN AND TURNED ON TOO APPRENTLY LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND EXISITS, 1968! wow!

R-1912944-1305501798.jpeg.jpg 

so he never reissued his jazz titles on 33rpm, looking at his discogs page- he did reissue the folk stuff though- 

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Bunny, not Benny, but otherwise, yes, "small group swing" should work for every occasion (except, of course, when it's solo, duo, trio, quartet/quintet, and/or big band.

Don't worry about being "way" behind, that's just chronology. I was born way behind, and you'd at least 30 years younger than me. Most people alive today were born way behind. But that's  not a problem if you view it as an opportunity, an adventure, a challenge, something other than a permanent un- remediable condition!

I mean, you already got today to dig into, as well as the music from your youth and approximately a generation before you. The people in this category are pretty much all dead now, and have been for a while now. They were probably dead when you were born, and not just recently. So forget about getting it all, not enough hours in a day, much less a lifetime. But do get this - so many of these dead motherfuckers could really, really play. If you don't get hit by Louis Armstrong, I don't want to hear how much you dig Lee Morgan, because that's just a basic emoptional reaction, not a fully formed, nuanced awareness. I mean, everybody got a basic gut reaction, it's wonderfully human, but also supremely mundane it its commoness, it's not enough to get old on. At some point we're all going to be dead motherfuckers, so don't die not knowing as many badass motherfuckers as you possibly can.

And that's what's fun, right, hearing some badass motherfuckers bringin' it. The shit that happened before anything you really know now, you gotta love the badasses there, too, because being a badass then meant the same thing it does now.

R-2247106-1280781883.jpeg.jpg

This has always been the name of this game. You know it when you hear it, no matter how old it is.

you bring up good points, well dog better late to the party than never, - im just happy this old bro who brought them in kept them so well each was in its own 12" paper 78 sleve, it was a giant pile, maybe 2 ft tall but i got everything i pretty much needed.  12" break easily.  and you know im also stoked about my 1st 12" victor scroll  i saw one a few mos ago at goodwill, but it was "sweedish dance orchestra" and i thought ughhh.  but paul whiteman-- hoffman has used him as an example before for ultra HQ 78 rpm sound, and you know who else?  Ted Weems.  Ted Weems was expertly recorded early on.  Plus its not horrible music, its not jazz, but its also not dated sounding like rudy vallee.  You know on fantasy, dancin' with anson, thats kind of like it too but later.  

did you hear the 20 second chuck wayne guitar solo i posted above?  my 78 doenst sound as hot as the youtube vid, i was hoping the guitar on the 78 was as loud as the video

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Chuck Wayne soudnin' GOOD!

I don't about your turf, but down here, Savoy 78s are often in the piles, not the bebop ones, but the R&B ones and the swing combo ones. I hardly buy any 78s no real player, no real storage, but I do like to look, and some real niche stuff, like Myron Cohen 78s on a Yiddish label, I was THIS close to getting those and then thought twice.

The most hyped I ever got was finding "Greenbacks" on a red/black Atlantic 78, in some ways my favorite Ray Charles record of them all. Broke it on the way home from the store, turned back around and went back for another one (yes, this was a warehouse or records, probably got inventories from juke box operators, radio stations, every place imaginable. They had a bigger Jazz 45 section than a lot of places had jazz LP sections, and only most of them were promos.

Anyway, they still had that second copy of "Greenbacks". I got home with it, but dropped it befopre it got on the turntable. I've kept the label nailed inside my closet door ever since, kind of like a horseshoe, only not.

78s got a sound like none other. I don't collect them (well, not really), but if anybody wants to hang and play theirs, hey, gimme a time and place. I'll be there.

R-8885459-1470783996-6142.jpeg.jpg

All my 1926-27 King Oliver Vocalion/Brunswick discs tonight:

Someday Sweetheart/Dead Man Blues (Vocalion)
Someday Sweetheart/Wa Wa Wa (Brunswick)
Jackass Blues/Deep Henderson (Brunswick)
Showboat Shuffle/Every Tub (Brunswick)

The same take of "Someday Sweetheart," with guest soloist Johnny Dodds, is on Vocalion and Brunswick; I just spun that side on my Brunswick disc, since it's in better shape. Oliver plays a great 12-bar solo on "Jackass Blues," despite one flubbed note.

Edited by jeffcrom

R-4199978-1405988071-8333.jpeg.jpg 

Ringing in the new year with some blues 78 - many leaning toward hokum:

Blind Boy Fuller - Truckin' My Blues Away/Babe, You Got to Do Better (Conqueror)
Blind Boy Fuller - She's So Sweet/Step It Up and Go (Okeh)
Bessie Jackson - Seaboard Blues/Troubled Blues (Perfect). Walter Roland on piano.
James "Stump" Johnson (as Snitcher Roberts) - The Duck's Yas-Yas-Yas/Heart is Right Blues (Okeh)
Norfolk Jazz Quartet - Jelly Roll Blues/Southern Jack (Okeh). A 1921 record by a vocal quartet who also recorded spirituals as the Norfolk Jubilee Quartet. A kind of amazing record.
The Hokum Boys - Selling That Stuff/Beedle Um Bum (Paramount). Georgia Tom Dorsey and Tampa Red, with additional vocals by Alex Hill.
Memphis Mose - Pig Meat Mama/Hear Me Beefin' at You (Brunswick). As above without Alex Hill.
Jim Jackson- Jim Jackson's Kansas City Blues, Parts 1 & 2 (Vocalion)

7 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Blind Boy Fuller - Truckin' My Blues Away/Babe, You Got to Do Better (Conqueror)
Bessie Jackson - Seaboard Blues/Troubled Blues (Perfect). Walter Roland on piano.
James "Stump" Johnson (as Snitcher Roberts) - The Duck's Yas-Yas-Yas/Heart is Right Blues (Okeh)
Norfolk Jazz Quartet - Jelly Roll Blues/Southern Jack (Okeh). A 1921 record by a vocal quartet who also recorded spirituals as the Norfolk Jubilee Quartet. A kind of amazing record.
The Hokum Boys - Selling That Stuff/Beedle Um Bum (Paramount). Georgia Tom Dorsey and Tampa Red, with additional vocals by Alex Hill.
Memphis Mose - Pig Meat Mama/Hear Me Beefin' at You (Brunswick). As above without Alex Hill.

Nice set of music. I have most of those, but can only listen on LP or CD. :(

R-4055080-1353746363-2133.jpeg.jpg

Chuck Berry on Chess:

Maybellene / Wee Wee Hours
Thirty Days / Together
No Money Down / The Downbound Train
School Day / Deep Feeling

78s are so weird and unpredictable. My copy of "Maybellene," which I've had for about three or four years, has a slight warp and some stressed grooves, which has always made it difficult to play. After all this time, I finally figured out what combination of stylus, tracking weight, and EQ works to make it sound good with no skips.

13 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-4055080-1353746363-2133.jpeg.jpg

Chuck Berry on Chess:

Maybellene / Wee Wee Hours
Thirty Days / Together
No Money Down / The Downbound Train
School Day / Deep Feeling

78s are so weird and unpredictable. My copy of "Maybellene," which I've had for about three or four years, has a slight warp and some stressed grooves, which has always made it difficult to play. After all this time, I finally figured out what combination of stylus, tracking weight, and EQ works to make it sound good with no skips.

My, my--do you find yourself changing all those things fairly often? That would seem to make listening to the records just a bit...time-consuming?!

gregmo

1 minute ago, gmonahan said:

My, my--do you find yourself changing all those things fairly often? That would seem to make listening to the records just a bit...time-consuming?!

gregmo

The stylus slides on and off - a few seconds to change that and the tracking weight. I usually don't change the EQ during a listening sessions.

But, hey - collecting and playing 78s is kind of insane, anyway. Very little about it makes sense from a rational perspective.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, jeffcrom said:

The stylus slides on and off - a few seconds to change that and the tracking weight. I usually don't change the EQ during a listening sessions.

But, hey - collecting and playing 78s is kind of insane, anyway. Very little about it makes sense from a rational perspective.

True enough!

On 1/1/2019 at 10:12 PM, jeffcrom said:

tell me you just found that paramount in or around your area like for 50 cents.............oh god!!!!!!

5 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

tell me you just found that paramount in or around your area like for 50 cents.............oh god!!!!!!

No, but some of those were pretty close to that. The rundown, as far as I remember:

The Paramount and the Jim Jackson I bought from a dealer at a record show. Prices were reasonable, but not amazing.
The Memphis Mose I found in an antique store in Kansas City - paid a few bucks.
I think the Norfolk Jazz Quartet was in the first large purchase of 78s I made when I started collecting - I bought three boxes from a dealer. There was some good stuff in there.
Stump Johnson and Bessie Jackson were from a stack I bought from a neighbor. I didn't pay much because of the condition.
One of the Blind Boy Fullers was five bucks, I think, and the other was free.

Awwwwwwwwwwww yea!!!!!!!!!!!!  

old guy dropped off his life's 78 collection of which i got to take anything i could to make their load lighter when they throw the rest in the dumpster-- got two booklets 10/ea of good stuff- highlights being 1 brubeck quartet fantasy - me & my shadow, 1 coleman hawkins decca- "ruby"-- a mint three suns twilight time, bob willis san antonio rose, louis jordan on alladin, jackie gleason "rain" capitol which i didnt have, also got a couple nice "Clef" brown paper sleeves