What 78 are you spinning right now ?

Clunky

i got this one but i cant find a pic of the us label and im too tired to take one rt now so thiso unusual late period canadian label will have to do.  havent some of our jazz musican heroes covered this, i think barry harris, no?

R-12499891-1536503871-2816.jpeg.jpg

i have a few like this also like for years ive had andre kastalantz columbia masterworks "i see yr face before me" (from DIPPIN), and i also have the original "a pretty girl is like a melody" famously quoted by chalie parker in gene roland big band

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/15/2019 at 6:03 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

i got this one but i cant find a pic of the us label and im too tired to take one rt now so thiso unusual late period canadian label will have to do.  havent some of our jazz musican heroes covered this, i think barry harris, no?

R-12499891-1536503871-2816.jpeg.jpg

R-4448991-1365183422-1460.jpeg.jpg

R-4140843-1356677264-3330.jpeg.jpg

R-4140843-1519589209-5274.jpeg.jpg

and of course...

But the very best version ever (and this is non-negotiable) is Sinatra/Jobim

How he gets into that first bridge is magic, and I do not believe in magic. But oh well. The second bridge is just greatness, but that first one is magic.

Check it out - that psychedlic WPJ cover is not that far off!

Buster Williams:

Fucking Marshall Royal. Fucking Lockjaw Davis. DUDE!!!!

Richard Bock missed his chance with Chet:

Her Nibs (no relation to Terry)

Oh shit!

My god, there have been a LOT of versions of this song, this is tip of the iceberg, including THE original (is IT on 78?):

R-3788884-1344459205-2021.jpeg.jpg

A Symposium of Swing (Victor). I found a nice copy of this 12" four-record album five or six years ago, and posted about it once before here. It's a really excellent collection, released in 1937:

Benny Goodman - Sing, Sing Sing, parts 1 & 2
Fats Waller and His Rhythm - Honeysuckle Rose / Blue, Turning Grey Over You
Tommy Dorsey - Stop, Look and Listen / Beale Street Blues (Some nice Bud Freeman on both sides of this one.)
Bunny Berigan - I Can't Get Started / The Prisoner's Song

R-9895461-1488120978-3870.jpeg.jpg

Bessie Smith's last session, on master-pressed UK Parlophone:

Gimme a Pigfoot / Take Me For a Buggy Ride
Do Your Duty / Down In the Dumps

I bought the second record in England. It came in a nice dealer sleeve from the Relialite Wireless, Cycle & Gramophone Store ("All the Latest Records in Stock"), located on Wick Road in Hackney, London.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:44 PM, jeffcrom said:

R-3788884-1344459205-2021.jpeg.jpg

A Symposium of Swing (Victor). I found a nice copy of this 12" four-record album five or six years ago, and posted about it once before here. It's a really excellent collection, released in 1937:

Benny Goodman - Sing, Sing Sing, parts 1 & 2
Fats Waller and His Rhythm - Honeysuckle Rose / Blue, Turning Grey Over You
Tommy Dorsey - Stop, Look and Listen / Beale Street Blues (Some nice Bud Freeman on both sides of this one.)
Bunny Berigan - I Can't Get Started / The Prisoner's Song

I actually have a "reissue" of this album--four 12-inch 78s--but on "RCA Victor Records." I wonder when that "reissue" was done?!

gregmo

edison-dd-51246-original-memphis-five_1_

I made the few adjustments needed to play Edison Diamond Discs on my turntable for a few days. I spun these jazz and near-jazz Edisons (I won't list the less-interesting flip sides by other artists):

Golden Gate Orchestra (actually the California Ramblers, that pioneering hot big band): Sing a Little Song
Golden Gate Orchestra: Manhattan / Oh Say! Can I See You Tonight

Chas. Matson's Creole Serenaders - I Just Want a Daddy (I Can Call My Own). A very interesting proto-jazz band that made two sides (issued on different records) for Edison in 1923.

Ellen Coleman (actually vaudeville blues singer Helen Baxter) - Cruel Back Bitin' Blues / You Got Ev-ryThing a Sweet Man Needs. About as bluesy as Edison ever got, with accompaniment by Lemuel Fowler's band.

Fletcher Henderson - Shake Your Feet & Linger Awhile. Henderson's only two Edison sides, one two different records.

Original Memphis Five - A Bunch of Blues / Jelly Roll Blues. The best of the lot. "Jelly Roll Blues" is excellent, and interesting as an early Jelly Roll Morton cover.

Edited by jeffcrom

R-1658659-1534387752-9840.jpeg.jpg

Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five - Heebie Jeebies / Muskrat Ramble (Okeh). This is my first original red-label Okeh by the classic Hot Five lineup, and it was a bargain. Someone was selling this online for a very low price, because they graded this record as between F and G - which would mean it would hardly be worth having, except as a wall hanger. But the pictures were pretty clear, and showed the surfaces of both sides - and they looked considerably better than that. So I took a chance and bought it. It arrived today, and I was right.. "Heebie Jeebies" is on the high side of V, and "Muskrat Ramble" is a solid V+. Until I find a mint copy from unsold store stock, this will do very nicely.

This thread is a bad influence, as this weekend I purchased two 78s, even though I'm not set up to listen to them. Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons, Walkin' the Boogie and Boogie Woogie Man on Victor. Also, Big Bill and His Chicago Five (Big Bill Broonzy I assume), I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town and Hard Hearted Woman, on Okeh. They looked like they needed a safe home.

Edited by kh1958

21 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

This thread is a bad influence, as this weekend I purchased two 78s, even though I'm not set up to listen to them. Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons, Walkin' the Boogie and Boogie Woogive Man on Victor. Also, Big Bill and His Chicago Five (Big Bill Broonzy I assume), I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town and Hard Hearted Woman, on Okeh. They looked like they needed a safe home.

Welcome to the dark side, my friend. I'll provide further bad influence by pointing out that the Broonzy record has the great New Orleans trumpet player Punch Miller on board.

I said this somewhere online recently - it might have been here: I look at my 78 shelves and think, "This is madness." Then I play one and think, "This is magic."

6 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

Welcome to the dark side, my friend. I'll provide further bad influence by pointing out that the Broonzy record has the great New Orleans trumpet player Punch Miller on board.

I said this somewhere online recently - it might have been here: I look at my 78 shelves and think, "This is madness." Then I play one and think, "This is magic."

:D  :tup

On 2/1/2019 at 1:01 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

do you have the ability to listen to 78s without RIAA curve?  someday id like a pro setup with a bypass switch n stuff!

I've described my setup earlier in this thread - probably several times - so I won't subject everyone to that again. But, yeah - Clunky, who started this thread, impressed on me the importance of having a 10-band equalizer as part of your 78 rig. I keep it set more or less to the reverse of the RIAA curve, and adjust as needed to reduce surface noise on worn discs.

6 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

10 band- jeesh- thx ill go back and read it all- wow.   im on a crosley like player which has that jukeboxey type aura to it but what you have is what i want!

If you really want the kind of setup I have, this is the  turntable I use - or the next generation of the one I have. It has variable speed, so it plays at 33, 45, 78, and beyond. It has a switch to change the polarity in order to play vertical groove records like Edisons. I have two headshells - one with an LP cartridge and one with a 78 cartridge. I also have different size styluses for the 78 cartridge, but I wouldn't recommend going down that road right away - start with a 3 mil stylus; you'll get pretty good results.

https://www.esotericsound.com/turntableD.htm

Correction: looking at the specs of the new version of the turntable, it looks like they've added a couple of features, bur removed the vertical switch. So Edisons are out.

78_dissonance-in-blues_gerald-wilson-and

Gerald Wilson's big band on various labels:

Cruisin' With Cab/Pammy (Black & White, 1946)
The Saint/The Moors (Black & White, 1946)
Smada/The Black Rose (Excelsior, 1947)
Salute to Jimmie Lunceford (My Last Affair)/Dissonance in Blues (United Artist, 1947)
Mambo Mexicano, parts 1 & 2 (Federal, 1954)

The two Black & White records are pretty worn, but the others are in excellent condition. Great musicians on all the discs, but the honors go to Melba Liston's composition "The Moors" - almost on Ellington's level -and the blues "Smada," with a very nice Buddy Collette alto solo. And the bassist on "Smada" is David Bryant, who many years later played with Horace Tapscott's ensembles.

R-10180547-1525113229-7638.jpeg.jpg

Irving Fazola - New Orleans Jazz (RCA Victor). A four-record album recently found "in the wild." This is a 1946 set of tunes associated with the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, but it's no re-creation. Fazola's wonderful playing is beyond anything the OJDB was capable of. His is my favorite clarinet sound ever - classical, jazz, or other.

9 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-10180547-1525113229-7638.jpeg.jpg

Irving Fazola - New Orleans Jazz (RCA Victor). A four-record album recently found "in the wild." This is a 1946 set of tunes associated with the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, but it's no re-creation. Fazola's wonderful playing is beyond anything the OJDB was capable of. His is my favorite clarinet sound ever - classical, jazz, or other.

Faz had such a beautiful sound!  However, I remember chatting with Kenny Davern many years ago.  He raved about Fazola's sound but thought he was a somewhat limited player harmonically.