What 78 are you spinning right now ?

Clunky

R-7659830-1446146977-2660.jpeg.jpg  R-4312604-1361453995-1483.jpeg.jpg  R-4292028-1360890037-7225.jpeg.jpg

Tonight's shellac:

George Gershwin with Paul Whiteman and his Concert Orchestra - Rhapsody in Blue (Victor). Since this piece was premiered 95 years ago today, I pulled out my copy of the second recording, from 1927. I have a later pressing, from the early 1940s.

Lennie Tristano - Wow/Crosscurrent (Capitol)
Lennie Tristano - Sax of a Kind/Marionette (Capitol)
Lennie Tristano - Yestersdays/Intuition (Capitol)

Lee Konitz - Yesterdays/Duet for Saxophone and Guitar (Prestige). It was Chuck Nessa who tipped me off that the 78 issue of "Yesterdays" was different from the LP/CD take, and had never been reissued. But it still took me a couple of years to track down a copy. The 78 take was probably issued in error, since there is no trumpet present, but Miles Davis's name is on the label.

Charlie Parker - Dewey Square/This is Always (Dial)
Charlie Parker - Bongo Bop/Embraceable You (Dial)
Charlie Parker - Bird of Paradise/Dexterity (Dial). I stopped in at a suburban Atlanta record store today and picked up a couple of LPs. In addition, they had exactly three 78s - but they were three E- to E Charlie Parker Dials. They sound really good. Takes one and two of "Embraceable You" were both issued on Dial 1024, and I crossed my fingers before playing that disc, hoping that it had take one. It does, and I'm delighted to have one of my favorite recordings of all time in its original format.

And when I spun the last Bird record, I experienced a feeling I've had in the past when I hear a longtime favorite recording on 78 for the first time. Hearing these two tunes as the two sides of a record - not as part of a 20-minute sequence of tracks on an LP side, or part of an hour-long program on a CD - is a very different listening experience. As many times as I've heard "Dexterity" since I was 16 or 17, today it jumped out at me as a masterpiece, and reminded me what a great band the 1947 Charlie Parker Quintet was: every element was in balance, and everyone knew his role and executed it perfectly.

Edited by jeffcrom

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, jazztrain said:

Faz had such a beautiful sound!  However, I remember chatting with Kenny Davern many years ago.  He raved about Fazola's sound but thought he was a somewhat limited player harmonically.

I listened to the Victor album again tonight with Davern's assessment in mind, and I'm just not hearing what he's talking about. Davern is a generation younger than Fazola, so that may influence his opinion. I certainly don't hear the kind of harmonic sophistication Coleman Hawkins or Roy Eldridge had, but I also don't hear any harmonic waywardness or hesitation. Fazola obviously understands chord structures, and even introduces a few (not many) chord extensions/alterations. He is, at least on these eight sides, about as sophisticated harmonically (or a little more so) as you would expect from a New Orleans musician born in 1912.

To clarify, I didn't post this to be argumentative, but to satisfy my curiosity about Davern's opinion.

9 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I listened to the Victor album again tonight with Davern's assessment in mind, and I'm just not hearing what he's talking about. Davern is a generation younger than Fazola, so that may influence his opinion. I certainly don't hear the kind of harmonic sophistication Coleman Hawkins or Roy Eldridge had, but I also don't hear any harmonic waywardness or hesitation. Fazola obviously understands chord structures, and even introduces a few (not many) chord extensions/alterations. He is, at least on these eight sides, about as sophisticated harmonically (or a little more so) as you would expect from a New Orleans musician born in 1912.

To clarify, I didn't post this to be argumentative, but to satisfy my curiosity about Davern's opinion.

I wish I could remember if he provided a specific example. I just remember his general comment about Fazola and thought I'd pass it along.

• 3 weeks later...

s-l500.jpg  R-12489394-1536306068-4646.jpeg.jpg

Swedish jazz on American labels, then a bunch of 1950s gospel:

The Swinging Swedes/Estrad Poll Winners - Summertime/Pick Yourself Up (Blue Note)
Rolf Ericson's Swingin' Swedes - Miles Away/Perdido (Discovery). Ericson, Arne Domnerus, Lars Gullin, and bassist Simon Brehm are on both of these records.

The Kelly Brothers - Prayer for Tomorrow/God Said He was Coming (Vee-Jay). What a great record.
Roberta Martin Singers - Grace/Ride on King Jesus (Savoy). This is one of my latest-issued 78s, from 1958.
Rev. Kelsey and Congregation - Little Boy/Lord Send the Rain (MGM). The only record earlier than 1950 I played - it's from 1948.
Reverend Cleophus Robinson - Moaning in the Morning/I Can See So Much (Peacock)
The Original Gospel Harmonettes - I'm Sealed/Just to Behold His Face (Specialty)
The Original Gospel Harmonettes - That's Enough/Am I a Soldier (Specialty)

R-5364796-1490371568-3889.jpeg.jpg

Swing and such tonight:

Bunny Berigan - I Can't Get Started / Rhythm Saved the World (Okeh). A first draft for his magnificent later 12" Victor recording of "Started."

Sidney Bechet - Blues of Bechet / The Sheik of Araby (Victor). The first overdubbed solo jazz record.

Sidney Bechet/Mezz Mezzow - Really the Blues, parts 1 & 2 (King Jazz)
Sidney Bechet/Mezz Mezzow - Bowin' the Blues / Old School (King Jazz)

Billie Holiday - Night and Day / Gloomy Sunday (Columbia)

• 2 weeks later...

no.jpg

I seem to switch my turntable from LP to 78 or vice versa about every four to five days. Back to 78s tonight, with some prime Louis - three original issues and a master-pressed reissue:

Heebie Jeebies / Muskrat Ramble (Okeh)
Weather Bird / Dear Old Southland (Hot Record Society)
Basin Street Blues / No (Okeh)
Squeeze Me / Two Deuces (Okeh)

The last two records are among the gems of my 78 collection. The last one has a few minor flaws, but my copy of "Basin Street"/"No" is as close to mint as any original copy out there, I suspect. I suspect it was unplayed before I bought it at a suburban Atlanta record and antique shop.

Edited by jeffcrom

180492065313.jpg

Sunday morning Bach:

English Suite in A Minor - Wanda Landowska, harpsichord (two 12" British HMV records)
Flute Sonata No. 2 In E flat - George Barrere with Yella Pessl, harpsichord (12" British HMV)
Suite No. 1 in G - The Danish Quartet (flute, violin, cello, piano) (12" British HMV)
Cello Suite No. 3 in C: Prelude/Sarabande - Pablo Casals (12" US Columbia)

The 1915 Casals represents the first recording of any part of the Cello Suites, which weren't recorded in their entirety until the 1930s. It's one of those records that makes me love 78s - it seems miraculous that I can hold this disc in my hand and play it on my turntable.

Edited by jeffcrom

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

that's right- Redd Foxx on 78!!!!!!!! Image result for lol cry emoji

I have a question about Colmean Hawkins now::::::::

if youre a Coleman Hawkins fan you kinda NEED the 78s huh cause a lot of that studio stuff of his isnt even issued in vintage lp counterparts- like signature.  you cant get that stuff on a 1955-65 issue, no?   or the other labels i have a whole folder of them.  Capitol of course ohhhh  Commadore!!!!!  Yea yea you cant get that on vinatge record either.  

3 hours ago, jazztrain said:

The Signature sides by Coleman Hawkins were reissued on LP (and on CD later) on several of his labels, including Flying Dutchman, Doctor Jazz, and Red Baron.  Here are some examples:

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

R-9097876-1474734031-5297.jpeg.jpg

R-4748506-1399322789-7757.jpeg.jpg

91moFiobnLL._SL1500_.jpg

Exactly!

I have this reissue version of the "Classic Tenors" album:

37250322kg.jpg

And that's not nearly all: :D

https://www.discogs.com/Coleman-Hawkins-Lester-Young-Classic-Tenors/master/259250#

And a lot of the Coleman Hawkins tunes along with lots of the Signatures from the mid-40s were reissued by French RCA in the below 3-CD box

37250319uz.jpg

So these sessions, in particular, have really been all over the place on vinyl.

(Wonder how RCA got into the act after EMI/Stateside has licensed the stuff too - and other Signature recordings from that period had been reissued on Coral - i.e. Decca - in 1957. The rights to the Signature sessions must have made the rounds ...)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, mikeweil said:

... and they are in the Hawkins Mosaic Box Set just as well.

Now the Dicky Wells date with Pres is more difficult to find if you want all takes on one issue. 

The Signatures "led" by Welles are in one of the Mosaic Basie/Young sets. 

On 12/12/2019 at 9:03 PM, medjuck said:

The Signatures "led" by Welles are in one of the Mosaic Basie/Young sets. 

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I know, but was there any other CD reissue of all tracks on one disc?

IIRC they were  on a Columbia (or a subsidiary) of the Hawkins and Young sessions.   Don't see the one I had in the photos above.  I think I  traded  it after the Mosaic came out. (There were no other Lester Young sessions on Signature were there? )

Edited by medjuck