What 78 are you spinning right now ?

Clunky

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi you all,

Lately I've been listening a lot to a 78 that I got for less than half a dollar in a market here in Reykjavík (!). It is a record in the "Swing Music 1949 Series", sides nr. 43 and 44.

On side 44 Dizzy Gilllespie and his Orchestra play an unusual version (to say the least) of St. Louis Blues. It has a latin beat to it and and Dizzy blows an unbelievable break and solo. The attack is very sharp, the tone clear and every note he chooses so completely correct. In the end he has a short "discussion" with the drummer and the song climaxes beutifully.

The other side, Jump Did-Le Bas, also has an amazing Dizzy solo, a short saxophone solo and plenty of scat singing.

Congas or Bongos, I lack knowledge here, are more in the forefront than on St. Louis Blues. Would this be Chano Pozo?

Also, does anyone know who the sax soloist is?

Anyway, I think this will become one of my most treasured records.

Best regards, Jóhannes

Hi you all,

Lately I've been listening a lot to a 78 that I got for less than half a dollar in a market here in Reykjavík (!). It is a record in the "Swing Music 1949 Series", sides nr. 43 and 44.

On side 44 Dizzy Gilllespie and his Orchestra play an unusual version (to say the least) of St. Louis Blues. It has a latin beat to it and and Dizzy blows an unbelievable break and solo. The attack is very sharp, the tone clear and every note he chooses so completely correct. In the end he has a short "discussion" with the drummer and the song climaxes beutifully.

The other side, Jump Did-Le Bas, also has an amazing Dizzy solo, a short saxophone solo and plenty of scat singing.

Congas or Bongos, I lack knowledge here, are more in the forefront than on St. Louis Blues. Would this be Chano Pozo?

Also, does anyone know who the sax soloist is?

Anyway, I think this will become one of my most treasured records.

Best regards, Jóhannes

It's from April 14 1949 with Yusef Lateef tenor sax, issued on RCA Victor I guess you have an HMV edition ?

Edited by Clunky

You guys are killing me! I've become addicted to 78s, but my 78 turntable is in the shop - I haven't been able to listen to my 78s for several weeks. And a couple of days ago I bought 20 near-mint, pre-1920 classical records - Caruso, Pablo Casals, Mischa Elman, Stokowski/Philadelphia, etc. from the collection of someone who obviously loved and took care of his records. And I can't play them!

Send them up here (along with the others). I'll play them for you!

You guys are killing me! I've become addicted to 78s, but my 78 turntable is in the shop - I haven't been able to listen to my 78s for several weeks. And a couple of days ago I bought 20 near-mint, pre-1920 classical records - Caruso, Pablo Casals, Mischa Elman, Stokowski/Philadelphia, etc. from the collection of someone who obviously loved and took care of his records. And I can't play them!

My 78 rig is finally back up and running after being out of commission for almost a month. This afternoon's favorites:

Two Pablo Casals 12-inchers on Columbia. Casals' signature is etched in the run-off, like the Van Gelder stamp. Very cool as objects and great playing. Early Columbia classical 78s just don't sound as good as Victors from the same period, though.

"Cruisin' With Cab," "Pammy," "The Saint," & "The Moors" by Gerald Wilson on Black & White. Some nice Hobart Dotson solos on a couple of these. And Melba Liston wrote "The Moors"

Danny Polo - "Doing the Gorgonzola" & "Montmarte Moan" (London) Great sounding record with Garland Wilson, Oscar Aleman, Alix Combelle, etc.

Teddy Weatherford - "Ain't Misbehavin'" & "My Blue Heaven" on French Swing. Really nice.

"Reefer Head Woman" and "Leap Frog Blues" by Buster Bennett. He's a Chicago alto player who played on some Bill Broonzy records. He's a good singer and plays some excellent, Pete Brown-ish solos. "Leap Frog" is a simplification of the Les Brown tune. As far as I can tell, this one has never been reissued.

Man, it's nice to be able to play my 78s again!

My 78 rig is finally back up and running after being out of commission for almost a month. This afternoon's favorites:

Two Pablo Casals 12-inchers on Columbia. Casals' signature is etched in the run-off, like the Van Gelder stamp. Very cool as objects and great playing. Early Columbia classical 78s just don't sound as good as Victors from the same period, though.

"Cruisin' With Cab," "Pammy," "The Saint," & "The Moors" by Gerald Wilson on Black & White. Some nice Hobart Dotson solos on a couple of these. And Melba Liston wrote "The Moors"

Danny Polo - "Doing the Gorgonzola" & "Montmarte Moan" (London) Great sounding record with Garland Wilson, Oscar Aleman, Alix Combelle, etc.

Teddy Weatherford - "Ain't Misbehavin'" & "My Blue Heaven" on French Swing. Really nice.

"Reefer Head Woman" and "Leap Frog Blues" by Buster Bennett. He's a Chicago alto player who played on some Bill Broonzy records. He's a good singer and plays some excellent, Pete Brown-ish solos. "Leap Frog" is a simplification of the Les Brown tune. As far as I can tell, this one has never been reissued.

Man, it's nice to be able to play my 78s again!

I'm not normally an envious person, but you're starting to get me there. ;)

Edited by paul secor

I just listened to an interesting find, which I've actually had for awhile without knowing it. About a month ago I bought an album book - no records - for 12" 78s from a guy on Ebay. He said he would put some junk records in it so that it would qualify for the media rate. I've had it for several weeks, but didn't even bother to open it until yesterday. Yep, most of the records are junk - whistling solos, vaudeville routines, etc., but one was by Dabney's Band. It took me 24 hours to realize that it could be by Ford Dabney, with African-American New York bandleader who was an associate of Eubie Blake, Noble Sissle, James Reese Europe, and that crowd. Looked it up, and yes, it's that Dabney's Band; one side was recorded in 1918, the other the next year. The music is frankly not that great - basic arrangements with lots of repetition - but it's interesting. Cricket Smith, the trumpeter, is the only musician on the record besides Dabney that I'm familiar with.

KidOry-blog.jpg

Kid Ory - New Orleans Jazz (Columbia, 1947); A four-pocket album with a great Jim Flora cover. The music is excellent, with Barney Bigard, Bud Scott, and Mutt Carey in the band. It's always moving to me to hear those New Orleans trumpet players, like Carey, Freddie Keppard, or Wooden Joe Nicholas, who seem to hark back to the earliest days of jazz.

Then, "Mama's Gone, Goodbye" & "New Orleans Wiggle" by Piron's New Orleans Orchestra (Victor, 1923); I love this band. They epitomize the polite side of New Orleans jazz; the first couple of choruses are usually pretty staid, but they usually loosen up near the end. I have all their stuff on CD, but it's nice to hear it from a good Victor 78.

Edited by jeffcrom

This afternoon was old-time country music time at the 78 turntable:

Gid Tanner and His Skillet Lickers (w/ Riley Puckett) - Liberty/Pretty Little Widow (Columbia)

Riley Puckett - My Carolina Home/I'm Drifting Back to Dreamland (Columbia)

Darby & Tarlton - The Rainbow Division/Country Girl Valley (Columbia)

Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys - Pike County Breakdown/A Mighty Pretty Waltz (Decca)

Jolly Boys of Lafayette - Jolie Blon/Jolly Boys' Breakdown (Decca)

That's almost all my "old time tunes" on 78. I've got to get some more of this stuff. It reminds me that country music really was once "people's music" instead of manufactured product. The first three records are by my Georgia homeys. A friend said Darby & Tarlton sound like they'd been working in the cotton mill all their lives.

This afternoon was old-time country music time at the 78 turntable:

Gid Tanner and His Skillet Lickers (w/ Riley Puckett) - Liberty/Pretty Little Widow (Columbia)

Riley Puckett - My Carolina Home/I'm Drifting Back to Dreamland (Columbia)

Darby & Tarlton - The Rainbow Division/Country Girl Valley (Columbia)

Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys - Pike County Breakdown/A Mighty Pretty Waltz (Decca)

Jolly Boys of Lafayette - Jolie Blon/Jolly Boys' Breakdown (Decca)

That's almost all my "old time tunes" on 78. I've got to get some more of this stuff. It reminds me that country music really was once "people's music" instead of manufactured product. The first three records are by my Georgia homeys. A friend said Darby & Tarlton sound like they'd been working in the cotton mill all their lives.

According to the booklet in the Bear Family set (probably not recordingly correct to post in the 78 thread), Jimmie Tarlton did work in textile mills when he was young.

• 2 weeks later...

Some later Andy Kirk and his Orchestra: "Hip Hip Hooray" & "Get It and Gone" on blue label Decca.

One of the pleasures of exploring 78s is the discovery of hidden gems. Not that these tunes are great overall (the patriotic lyrics of "Hip Hip Hooray" have references to "Japs" that, while I understand, make me cringe), but there are good solos by Al Sears, trombonist Ted Donnelly, and the underrated Kenny Kersey. And there's a fabulous solo by Howard McGhee on the first side - imaginative, flowing, and very modern for 1942.

78's-r-da-bomb!

oh, and dude, you wouldnt wanna play every single 78 in your collection on dat sheeet: yr gonna wanna spin your Victorla and early Victor Taking Records on tghat: but i woudnt but my blue notes on that thinbg for a million free records

Yeah, I figured they probably would not be kind to 78s that weren't manufactured contemporaneously. Still, I'd love to hear what one of these sounds like.

Hi folks,

I'm looking for the following three 78rpm by Dave Pell issued only on the Checker label:

DAVE PELL

Frank Beach (tp), Ray Sims (tb), Art Pepper (as), Dave Pell (ts), Geoff"Jeff"Clarkson (p), Iggy Shevack (b), Roy Harte (dm), Eilen Wilson (Ray Karma), Ray Kellog, Stumpy Brown (voc), Frank Comstock, Wes Hensel (arr)

Hollywood, CA, July 1949

Checker 702 (78rpm) Boptized (matrix CRC-5)

Checker 702 (78rpm) Pell mell (matrix CRC-11)

Checker 703 (78rpm) You made me cry once too often-vocSB (matrix CRC-7)

Checker 703 (78rpm) I said it before-vocSB (matrix CRC-8)

Checker 704 (78rpm) Close your eyes-vocEW (matix CRC-9)

Checker 704 (78rpm) It was lovely while it lasted-vocRK (matrix CRC-10)

A copy would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Claude

Hi folks,

I'm looking for the following three 78rpm by Dave Pell issued only on the Checker label:

DAVE PELL

Frank Beach (tp), Ray Sims (tb), Art Pepper (as), Dave Pell (ts), Geoff"Jeff"Clarkson (p), Iggy Shevack (b), Roy Harte (dm), Eilen Wilson (Ray Karma), Ray Kellog, Stumpy Brown (voc), Frank Comstock, Wes Hensel (arr)

Hollywood, CA, July 1949

Claude

Hi folks,

DAVE PELL

Hollywood, CA, July 1949

Claude

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I stopped by a junk/antique store and looked through their stack of 78s. Mostly junk, as usual, but I picked up a few records. I was puzzled, though, by a couple of Melotone records with band names I had never seen before, so I went back today, armed with the Rust discography. Turns out The Captivators was a Red Nichols pseudonym, and "Earl Harlan" was actually Don Redman. To tell the truth, the Nichols record is kind of underwhelming, but there is a glimpse of Benny Goodman and a nice early Eddie Miller solo. The Harlan/Redman sides (from 1933) are pop tunes with vocals, but they swing, and Red Allen, Benny Morton, and Sidney DeParis (I think) get solo space. So thank you, Brian Rust.

Edited by jeffcrom

Last weekend picked up seven Esquire 78s of Prestige, Cupol and Dial sessions by Fats & Miles, Chubby and Charlie respectively also around 10 Vocalion/ Brunswick/ Parlophone UK, Duke Ellington 78s all in lovely condition.

On approval simply to see what it sounded like I got a copy of "Sonny Thompson" The Fish (Esquire)- rather harsh and crude early R&B with some shattering piano playing and over-driven sax.

Edited by Clunky

Last weekend picked up seven Esquire 78s of Prestige, Cupol and Dial sessions by Fats & Miles, Chubby and Charlie respectively also around 10 Vocalion/ Brunswick/ Parlophone UK, Duke Ellington 78s all in lovely condition.

How's the sound on the Esquire bop records? Can you you hear the cymbals? I remember reading years ago that European drummers had a harder time picking up the early bebop style than other instrumentalists because they couldn't really tell what was going on from the records - the cymbals were in the same range as the surface hiss. That might be BS, but I guess it made an impression on me - I remember that 35 years later.