What 78 are you spinning right now ?

Clunky

3 hours ago, jazztrain said:

The Pee Wee set is nice also.  Did your Muggsy album have the photo with it?

Jeff,  You've piqued my interest in him again.  What else do you have Felix on?  He's on some Fess Williams recordings, but Fess generally takes the reed solos.

The Muggsy album has a (not very informative) booklet, but no photo.

I have about six more New York calypso 78s with Felix, including some on Asch with a label credit for the backing band: Felix and his Internationals. (Most of these are Lord Invader discs. He's all over three calypso CDs I have: Lord Invader - Calypso in New York on Smithsonian Folkways and two concert recordings from the Alan Lomax series on Rounder: Calypso at Midnight and Calypso After Midnight.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/121760874640-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Doc Evans - Traditional Jazz, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 (Audiophile). One reason I like my current audio setup is that I can play records like these two 1953 issues as intended - at 78 RPM in mono, but with an LP stylus. Ewing Nunn, founder of the Audiophile, was a recording genius; these records really sound magnificent. I guess he's not much remembered today because he was mostly interested in traditional jazz. As I've said before in these forums, his 1971 Audiophile album by the Olympia Brass Band is by far the best-sounding New Orleans brass band album out there.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A1WWR29D0sU/RwgL3cplJHI/AAAAAAAAA3o/VWEdaY6nyX4/s400/Santo.jpg

A bunch of New Orleans-related 78s:

Lovie Austin - In the Alley Blues / Merry Makers Twine (American Music, from Paramount). "Alley" is a bad-ass slow blues.
Sidney "Pops" Bechet with Noble Sissle's Swingsters - Sweet Patootie / Viper Mad (Decca)
Basin Street Six - Everybody Loves That Hadacol / Those Same Sweet Words (Mercury)
Sharkey (Bonano) and His Kings of Dixieland - Somebody Stole My Gal / With a Pack on My Back (Capitol). This is one of the quietest 78s I own - little difference from a mint LP.
Sharkey (Bonano) and His Kings of Dixieland - Bourbon Street Bounce / Pizza Pie Boogie (Capitol)
Armand Hug - Edna / That's How Much You Mean to Me (New Orleans)
Santo Pecora - March of the Mardi Gras / My Lou'siana (Mercury)
Santo Pecora - Mahogany Hall Stomp / Listen (Mercury)
Santo Pecora - Basin Street Blues / Twelfth Street Rag (Mercury)

All the Pecoras have George Girard on trumpet (as does the Basin Street Six), and two of them have young Pete Fountain on clarinet (as does the Basin Street Six). Fountain was an excellent jazz clarinetist is his younger days.

http://www.amoeba.com/sized-images/max/500/500/uploads/albums/covers/other//SonnyBermanBigeight_Nocturne.jpg

Jean Germain - The Chase (Bartok) / Hank Jones - Night Music (Dial). The Jones side is actually from a Howard McGhee Sextet date.
Sonny Berman - Nocturne / Howard McGhee - Thermodynamics (Dial). "Nocturne" is really haunting.
Sonny Criss - Blues for the Boppers / Tornado (aka Wee, aka Allen's Alley) (Mercury)
Hans Koller Quartet - Up From Munich / Beat (Discovery). Jutta Hipp is on piano.
Stan Kenton - Invention for Guitar and Trumpet / 23 Degrees North, 82 Degrees West (Capitol promo)

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com.s3.amazonaws.com/gallery/261280802057.jpg

Schubert Trio no. 1 in B flat, Op. 99 - Thibaud / Casals / Cortot. The original U.S. issue, from 1926, and the oldest 78 album in my collection.

Then the November, 1945 Bob Mosely Beltone session with Lucky Thompson and Charles Mingus:

Vout Rhythm / Beggin' the Boogie
Bee Boogie Boo / Stormy Mood

A bunch of 1920s country today. Some of these records are in rough shape, but somehow that doesn't bother me when listening to early country.

South Georgia Highballers on Okeh
Floyd Russell (aka Marion Underwood) on Silvertone. His "Coal Creek March" is a masterpiece.
Louis Watson on Silvertone
North Carolina Ramblers on Columbia
Holland Puckett on Supertone
Scottdale String Band on Okeh. (I only live a few miles from Scottdale, which was a cotton mill town east of Atlanta.)
JIlson Setters (aka James Day) on Victor
Walter Morris on Columbia
Earl Shirkey & Roy Harper (aka Roy Harvey) on Columbia
Darby & Tarlton on Columbia.

http://98.130.146.204/78_rpm/labels/1939/Vocalion%205156%20A%20Label.jpg

Some recent finds - one 1947 New Orleans revival record and a bunch of 1930s and 40s swing:

Bob Wilber's Wildcats - New Orleans Shuffle/I Can't Say (Rampart). One justification for jazz revivalism is to keep great tunes alive. I've always loved "New Orleans Shuffle," recorded by the Halfway House Orchestra in New Orleans in the 1920s.

Red Allen - If It's Love You Want/Count Me Out (RCA Victor)
Red Allen - Let Me Miss You/Check Up (RCA Victor). J.C. Higginbotham is on board. These two records represent a complete session.

Wingy Manone - Corrine, Corrini/I'm a Real Kind Papa (Bluebird)
Wingy Manone - Blue Lou/How Long Blues (Bluebird). These are all really nice; all have Chu Berry, and I had only heard one of these four sides before - "Blue Lou" is on an LP I have. Hearing "How Long Blues" solved a 30-year mystery for me. I had always wondered about the source of the "How Long Blues" used as the closing theme of my all-time favorite TV show, Frank's Place. Here it is. Chuck Nessa and Paul Secor, did you know this?

Let Hite - Yes, I Love You / Varsity Seven - Shake It and Break It (Commodore). I had never seen a green-label Commodore before - I guessed they used this label for reissues. These are from the Varsity label, and "Yes, I Love You" is actually "T-Bone Blues," with Mr. Walker's vocal.

Duke Ellington - The New East St. Louis Toodle-o/I've Got to Be a Rug Cutter (Brunswick)

Barney Bigard - Mardi Gras Madness/Watch the Birdie (Vocalion)

Jimmie Lunceford - White Heat/You Can Fool Some of the People (Vocalion)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.worldwebfinearts.com/system/files/1270/medium/ko1059a.jpg

All my King Oliver 78s tonight:

Sobbin' Blues/Sweet Lovin' Man (Okeh)
Someday Sweetheart/Dead Man Blues (Vocalion)
Showboat Shuffle/Every Tub (Brunswick)
St. James Infirmary/When You're Smiling (Victor)
What You Want Me to Do/Too Late (Bluebird)
Stingaree Blues/Shake It and Break It (Bluebird)

All but the Bluebirds (which are E-) have varying stages of wear, but they play with vibrant sound with the right stylus and EQ. The Okeh is by the 1923 Creole Jazz Band. The Victor features Bubber Miley as the trumpet soloist. "Stingaree" and "Shake It" have solos by Red Allen as well as by Oliver.

On 5 February 2016 at 4:57 AM, jeffcrom said:

http://www.worldwebfinearts.com/system/files/1270/medium/ko1059a.jpg

All my King Oliver 78s tonight:

Sobbin' Blues/Sweet Lovin' Man (Okeh)
Someday Sweetheart/Dead Man Blues (Vocalion)
Showboat Shuffle/Every Tub (Brunswick)
St. James Infirmary/When You're Smiling (Victor)
What You Want Me to Do/Too Late (Bluebird)
Stingaree Blues/Shake It and Break It (Bluebird)

All but the Bluebirds (which are E-) have varying stages of wear, but they play with vibrant sound with the right stylus and EQ. The Okeh is by the 1923 Creole Jazz Band. The Victor features Bubber Miley as the trumpet soloist. "Stingaree" and "Shake It" have solos by Red Allen as well as by Oliver.

Wow that's some selection. 

I have been spinning my 78s on a regular basis but haven't added to my small collection for some time. My local sources pretty much dried up. Searching through unsorted piles at charity shops yields very little jazz , blues or anything else of substantial interest. I've plenty -although no Joe Oliver - to keep me happy.

7 hours ago, Clunky said:

Wow that's some selection. 

I have been spinning my 78s on a regular basis but haven't added to my small collection for some time. My local sources pretty much dried up. Searching through unsorted piles at charity shops yields very little jazz , blues or anything else of substantial interest. I've plenty -although no Joe Oliver - to keep me happy.

For the Okeh and Victor, I paid close to what they are worth - balanced out by getting the others cheap, or in one case, free.

And yes, junking for 78s requires a lot of patience. You end up looking through thousands of records for every decent one you find. But it's pretty cool when you hit on something good.

Edited by jeffcrom

i know what you guys mean, i have only like two 78s out of all my stuff, like that some ppl would consider the be the only two real jazz records i have in my collection...

--one is a victor scroll Jelly Roll Morton 

--the other is a Fletecher Henderson on Columbia from 1929 that i love, and its also a good record-weight its a very sturdy well made platter

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2016 at 11:16 PM, jeffcrom said:

Is Everybody Happy??

http://cdn1.ticketsinventory.com/images/thumbs/concert/j/john-lewis-band/john-lewis-band_Fi0sZ140WSY.jpg

Buncha Ted Lewis on Columbia from the 1920s. Ted was pretty grim, musically, but starting in the mid-20s he often hired great jazz musicians. The record shown, Wabash Blues/Farewell Blues from 1929, features excellent solos by Muggsy Spanier and Frank Teschemacher.

Picked up a "new" Mitchell's Christian Singers on Columbia - Lead Me to That Rock / I Want Jesus to Be Around, in excellent condition. Listened to it and a bunch of others by my favorite gospel group tonight.

I'm up to 15 records by MCS - on Romeo, Oriole, Perfect, Melotone, Conqueror, Vocalion, and Columbia. Only twelve distinct pairings, though - I have one coupling on two different dime store labels (Romeo and Melotone), and another on three different labels (Perfect, Oriole, and Conqueror).

What a group!

• 2 weeks later...

http://faujsa.fau.edu/music-data/singleplay/503883-B.jpg

Half a dozen klezmer discs, including this nice 1921 Brunswick by Israel Hochman's band. And I didn't realize until Google told me tonight that one of the evening's spins, a 1913 Columbia record by Abe Elinkrig's Orchestra, is from the first klezmer session made in America. I found a picture online, but the label is a nearly illegible brown "magic notes" design.

On 2/1/2016 at 7:41 PM, jeffcrom said:

https://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/g/goodma_benn_symposium_101b.jpg

A Symposium of Swing (Victor). A four-record 12" album, with one record each by Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Bunny Berigan, and Fats Waller. Berigan's "I Can't Get Started" is the winner for me.

I have this one.  Agree with you on the Berigan--his masterpiece.

gregmo

did one of you guys pick up the Del Shannon/Runaway 78 on green label Argentina-London Rec.  that was on ebay the other day and now gone- it was 99.99 buy it now and in MIAMI.  i should of just freaking done it, extreme rare opportunity, although the blue label Brazil-london rec. label version is way nicer.  but how often do you see it listed domestically.  i should of done it :(

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20141215/371215069032.jpg

Lots of "new" shellac - including Pee Wee Russell's Disc album shown here. Here plays some pretty out-there stuff, even for Pee Wee. And that's a good thing. Also an Indian Columbia 78 of Teddy Weatherford that's very good, from the pianist's long career in that country.