What 78 are you spinning right now ?

Clunky

54 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20141215/371215069032.jpg

Lots of "new" shellac - including Pee Wee Russell's Disc album shown here. Here plays some pretty out-there stuff, even for Pee Wee. And that's a good thing. Also an Indian Columbia 78 of Teddy Weatherford that's very good, from the pianist's long career in that country.

Is "disc" the title or the label?  And is this on cd?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Is "disc" the title or the label?  And is this on cd?

Chuck is correct - sister label of Asch. These tracks are on the "Chronogical" Classics Pee Wee Russell 1935-1946 CD, but are probably otherwise hard to find on CD, although I imagine there have been other reissues.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think these are pretty special - Teddy Weatherford during his long exile from the U.S.

My Blue Heaven / Ain't Misbehavin' (French Swing, 1937)
Birth of the Blues / The Darktown Strutters Ball (Indian Columbia, 1942)
How About You / Hoe Down (Indian Columbia, 1942)

The first record is piano solo, the second a trio, and the third by a small swing band. These are pretty hard to come by, although the Swing sides have been reissued a few times over the years. The first Indian record showed up on a Jazum LP in the 1970s - I nearly bought a copy for big bucks to get these sides. I'm glad I didn't, because I picked up this 78 copy for a very reasonable price on Ebay. "Hoe Down," from the second Indian record, has been reissued on a CD collection of world music, but I don't think "How About You," the superior side, has ever been reissued.

Edited by jeffcrom

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.vmauctions.com/files/members/0/288/products/large/1447306574_Nov%20011.jpg

White country gospel by Smith's Sacred Singers, from Braselton, Georgia, 50 miles northeast of Atlanta. Their first session in 1926 produced a hit in "Pictures from Life's Other Side." Most of these have nice guitar / fiddle accompaniment on one side and stodgy piano on the other. All are on the Columbia "Viva-Tonal" early electric label.

Pictures from Life's Other Side / Where We'll Never Grow Old
Shouting on the Hills / The Eastern Gate
We Are Going Down the Valley One by One / If I'm Faithful to My Lord
Life's Railway to Heaven / Jesus Prayed
The Drunkard's Child / The Prodigal's Return ( by "J. Frank Smith of Smith's Sacred Singers")

Since "Jesus Prayed" has a "scripture reading by Rev. M.L. Thrasher," I also spun my 1928 disc by Rev. M.L. Thrashers and his Gospel Singers:

Just as I Am / We'll Drop Our Anchor

Spinning a number of 78s to gather a dozen or so to play at the weekend . I'm taking them to play for an elderly but very beautiful lady in her nursing home. 

Random picks from the shelves which I know she'll like to hear on my Bush portable TT.

Louis Armstrong --Georgia bobo/ Wildman blues--(Brunswick)

Johnny Hodges --Things ain't what they used to be/ Squatty Roo---(HMV)

Humph Lyttleton---Oh ! Dad /Mainly traditional ---(Parlophone)

plus sides by Oscar Peterson, Benny Goodman, Hot lips Page,Red Allen , Charlie Parker ( stupendous) A nice mixture I feel?

She'll love everything - always does . Hope none break on the 5 hour journey!!

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Spinning a number of 78s to gather a dozen or so to play at the weekend . I'm taking them to play for an elderly but very beautiful lady in her nursing home. 

Random picks from the shelves which I know she'll like to hear on my Bush portable TT.

plus sides by Oscar Peterson, Benny Goodman, Hot lips Page,Red Allen , Charlie Parker ( stupendous) A nice mixture I feel?

Great story and a great way to share the music. :tup

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-0/s526x395/13061938_1018652624869417_8585694834824402861_n.jpg?oh=d61bdc417985b91d299222e670cd984b&oe=57A82B8B

All my Rev. J.M. Gates 78s, on Okeh, Regal, Paramount, Montgomery Ward, and now Victor. I found the record above in a thrift store this morning, in a stack of postwar pop discs.

My favorite Rev. Gates side is still "The California Kidnapping" on Okeh. After preaching for a couple of minutes on a contemporary (1928) news story, Gates takes a sudden turn: "You know my grandfather and my grandmother - they were kidnapped from the dark jungles of Africa." I get chills at that point every time I play this disc.

That's a cool thing you're doing, Clunky.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, Clunky said:

How did your trip to the nursing home go? Our world can use more kindness and it seems as if you're making a step in that direction.

16 hours ago, paul secor said:

How did your trip to the nursing home go? Our world can use more kindness and it seems as if you're making a step in that direction.

Unfortunately we had to cancel going. Family illness prevented us going so going to be rescheduled probably for May. I'll keep the 78s I'd chosen aside as the choices still stand. 

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/tIcAAOSwll1W0I4X/s-l225.jpg

I won't pretend that this is really rational, but there are certain performances that I want to have on 78, even if I have them in other formats. One such side that has been on my list is take two of "That's My Home" by Louis Armstrong from 1932, accompanied by Chick Webb's band. Take one was issued on Victor at the time, and it's a good recording. But Bluebird 10236, from the late 1930s, was the first issue of take two, and it's on another plane. Armstrong's trumpet playing at the two-minute mark makes my hair stand on end and brings a lump to my throat every time I hear it.

A box of internet auction winnings arrived today. Ten good records, but this is the one that counts.

• 3 weeks later...

FidelityHF42small.jpg

Got this Fidelity HF42 record player. It sits on my desk in what you'd probably call my den. It's were I do my admin, edit photos on my mac. It's covered in bits of cameras, LPs, 78s etc. This little all in one unit sounds abysmal with 45s or 33s but 78s sound brilliant. It's so quick to change discs, swivel my car and pick something else off the shelves beside me. It's lower fidelity suits some battered 78s better than my main rig which reveals all the warts. 

NP

Clara Smith--------West Indies Blues/ The Clearing House Blues--------(Columbia) flag label--- enjoyed many times by previous owners

Louis Armstrong ------Cornet Chop Suey/ Muscat Ramble---------(Columbia UK) 1940s (?) reissue, from master though & sounds great especially as the disc is near mint. 

Edited by Clunky

1919270.jpg

Dizzy Gillepsie-------One Bass Hit parts 1 & 2 ---------(Musicraft)

Charlie Parker-----Crazeology- Three ways to play a chorus/-Relaxing at Camarillo------------------(Esquire UK)

R-5874022-1405290227-6647.jpeg.jpg

Gerry Mulligan---------Motel/ Makin' Whoopee---------(Vogue UK)

• 2 months later...

Boyd Senter --------Bad Habits/ New St.Louis Blues --------(Okeh)

Some lovely guitar on Bad Habits- Eddie Lang, I think ( don't have my discography handy). No sure why St Louis gets the 'New" prefix - I suppose in 1927 it was relatively 'new'

s-l300.jpg

http://bixbeiderbecke.com/jazzmebluesvocalion.jpg

I've spun hundreds of 78 sides since my last post here three months ago. So I'll just describe an avenue I've been exploring recently - mid-30s reissues of Okeh material from the 1920s. Many of the classic red or black label Okehs from the 1920s were reissued around ten years later on Vocalion and Columbia-owned purple-label Okeh, pressed from the original masters - so they sound as good as the original releases. But they can be had for a fraction of the cost of the original Okehs. Tonight's spins:

Frank Trumbauer - Way Down Yonder in New Orleans / Clarinet Marmalade (Vocalion)

Bix Beiderbecke - Jazz Me Blues / At the Jazz Band Ball (Vocalion)

Louis Armstrong - Muggles / The Peanut Vendor (Okeh). One of Pops' best Okeh sides paired with one of his weakest.

And not related to the above, an original issue "scroll" Victor of Fats on the pipe organ in Victor's Camden, New Jersey studio, which had been a church:

Fats Waller - The Rusty Pail / .Sloppy Water (Victor)

One of the negative things about 78s from the 1920-30s is that one side is often 'hot' and the other a more danceable number often with much less or no  'jazz' interest. These sides have their own merit often but it's frustrating that only one side may be of interest - a problem given how heavy 78s are and how much space they take up.

No so problem  for this one just pulled off the shelf at random as I sit at my desk ;

Jack Purvis -------When you're feeling blue/ O.K Rhythm Kings--------Casa Loma Stomp-------( Parlophone R 890) UK issue 

s-l225.jpg

Superb trumpet from Purvis and I've loved Casa Loma Stomp for years. Heard the latter just as I was getting into jazz on Robert Parker's BBC radio series ( Australian originally?) on classic jazz in the late 1980s. Ok the Purvis isn't a real flag waver but there's plenty to like in the arrangement and the soloing. These both sound like masters rather than dubs given the high quality of the sound. My copy is newer than one illustrated as there's no gramophone horn behind the £ sign seen at 12 o'clock on the label.

Edited by Clunky

On July 19, 2016 at 0:22 PM, jazztrain said:

Possibly he had already recorded St. Louis Blues?  I'm away on vacation without access to references. 

I'm back.  As suspected, Senter had recorded St. Louis Blues previously, hence the follow up "New St. Louis Blues."  He recorded SLB originally in 1924 accompanied by the Chicago De Luxe Orchestra.  The Okeh recording pictured below was from January 20, 1927.

On July 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Clunky said:

Boyd Senter --------Bad Habits/ New St.Louis Blues --------(Okeh)

Some lovely guitar on Bad Habits- Eddie Lang, I think ( don't have my discography handy). No sure why St Louis gets the 'New" prefix - I suppose in 1927 it was relatively 'new'

s-l300.jpg

4 hours ago, jazztrain said:

I'm back.  As suspected, Senter had recorded St. Louis Blues previously, hence the follow up "New St. Louis Blues."  He recorded SLB originally in 1924 accompanied by the Chicago De Luxe Orchestra.  The Okeh recording pictured below was from January 20, 1927.

thanks for checking that out.

http://www.musicalkaleidoscope.com/images/collection/Pic_6-mitch.jpg

Just picked up three "new" discs by Mitchell's Christian Singers:

New Dry Bones / Lord I Can't Turn Back (Conqueror)
My Poor Mother Died Ashouting / Rock My Soul (Conqueror)
The Saints Are Marching / Jesus Make Up My Dyin' Bed (Vocalion)

None are is great condition, but are quite listenable with the right stylus and EQ. I played these and some of my "old" records by my favorite gospel group. I'm up to 18 discs, although a few of them are different-label issues of the same recordings.

The picture above represents kind of a composite of my listening - the blue-label Vocalion issue of a record I have on Conqueror.

http://www.wirz.de/music/moss/grafik/c8569a4.jpg

Inspired by the North Carolina gospel I was just spinning, I decided to move on the Devil's music and play my handful of Piedmont style blues 78s. Condition varies from V- to V++.

Blind Boy Fuller - Truckin' My Blues Away / Babe You Got to Do Better (Conqueror)
Blind Boy Fuller - Little Woman You're So Sweet / Step It Up and Go (Okeh)
Brownie McGhee (Blind Boy Fuller #2 ) - Step It Up and Go #2 / Workingman's Blues (Okeh)
Sonny Terry - Lost John / Fox Chase (Library of Congress)
Buddy Moss - Someday Baby (I'll Have Mine) / Shake It All Night Long (Conqueror)

Sonny Terry is on McGhee's "Workingman's Blues"; George Washington, aka Bull City Red, aka Oh Red, plays washboard on Fuller's "Step it Up" and both sides of the McGhee record. The Buddy Moss disc is one of the "best" 78s I own, in terms of musical value and rarity.

I think I've mentioned this before - the Fuller Okeh disc is in pretty nice condition, except that "Jim," the original owner, carved his name into the grooves of "Step It Up and Go!" Amazingly, it plays through with no skips, but that section gets kind of noisy.

Edited by jeffcrom