Alon Marcus

Stan Kenton - City of Glass

84 posts in this topic

Ah, now it makes sense, maybe...they each had their won 10" covers & when they combined them onto a 12", they used the 10 ""This Modern World" cover...or else, if Rooster's mom had a 10" COG with the "graph" cover, maybe they both had that cover at some point before being combined onto the 12", kinda like Kent's Krazymusik Vols 1 & 2... It must've been confuisn to be a record buyr inthe early-mid 1950s. 78 & 45 singles, 45 EPs, 10" LPs 12" LPs, Kenton & Ellington on the same label, I mean, I feel the angst of the little man on the original COG cover, it's like "What am I going to do with all this....MODERNINITY?"

kenton_stan_cityofgla_101b.jpg

Yeah, here this is:

stan%20kenton-1.gif

Edited by JSngry

I mean, I feel the angst of the little man on the original COG cover, it's like "What am I going to do with all this....MODERNINITY?"

The feeling I get is that he's proudly summoning all this modernity to life.

Well, sure, that's what he's doing at the moment. But then he realizes the implications, looks at the band, and calls "Eager Beaver" for the block.

X gets the square. Moderninity wins again!

Now that I'm seeing it in a bigger representation, I'm pretty sure that the 10-inch I have only has "This Modern World" on it (not "City of Glass").

The cover I uploaded earlier (the one with both This Modern World" and "City of Glass") must have been a 12-inch.

All this time I thought that 10-inch was part of "City of Glass", in part because I knew it from the CD-issue of "City of Glass" -- and I wrongly presumed that "City of Glass" was originally an LP-length work.

You can tell this from the framing of my original question up above: "Hey, why are there two covers for (what I thought was) the same thing?".

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I presumed "City of Glass" was originally an LP-length release.

I believe it was, just as a 10" LP. The term "LP" was used to denote an "album" playing @ 33 1/3 playing speed, be it 10" or 12".

So unless the COG material was originally released on 78s, your presumption is correct.

The 10-inch of City of Glass that my mom had (the one I still have), is the one below on the left (with the expanded globe).

But I just noticed this different cover (the one on the right) on-line (with the cool, translucent buildings!).

What's the story of two different covers? - for such an crazy work that it would be hard to imagine there being two different covers for.

I kinda wish I had the other one with the buildings (here it is even bigger). That's a pretty cool cover!

I came pretty close to bidding on this: Kenton 10", since it is a great artifact, but decided that with another upcoming move I didn't need one more "thing" when I would always play the CD anyway. About half a day left to bid. (No relationship to the seller...)

Posted (edited)

The liner notes of the CD indicate that there was an earlier orchestration of City of Glass  that did not include strings.  Was this version ever recorded?  Is it on the Gunther Schuller CD?  

Also, why is This Modern World not in the album order on this CD?  I guess I will have to burn a CD in the correct order. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

No one can answer my question?

The liner notes of the CD indicate that there was an earlier orchestration of City of Glass  that did not include strings.  Was this version ever recorded?  Is it on the Gunther Schuller CD?  

Incredible recording! I remember a DJ friend of mine playing it on his show about 20 years ago. The recording was made before I was born but it seems as if it was the first hardcore avant-garde group improvisation work that I know of. I was stunned to know that this type of work came so early. Again, I don't know of any other recording of this particular genre that existed before City of Glass....