Anybody else having trouble accessing AAJ today?

ghost of miles

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys,

just wanted to let you know that the website is back up.

i understand that some of you prefer this board and i'm cool, but aaj is first and foremost a website, meaning http://www.allaboutjazz.com. aaj has done a world of good for many people and i'm proud of it.

the website (not the board) has been hacked twice in the last week, and i'm sorry to say mark (sheldonm), all signs point to the php upload process at the visual arts center.

i have help and we're trying to figure out how to make the upload secure--it's going to take time.

i'll send the 60 artists an email and tell them to hang tight. i'll also email the other 150 and tell them that we're suspending new registrations until we can figure out how to close the security loophole.

i plan to run a dedicated firewall segment and am taking other precautionary measures. they should all help.

mike r.

p.s. matt, i didn't freak out (i got that out of my system after the 2003 incident); though dealing with hackers can really bring you down. they're like rodents, man.

Edited by xricci

Brad,

I don't find AAJ all that terribly interesting to me but it doesn't mean it's not a good site (and if I said otherwise, then I'm wrong).

And I have no problem with that. There are many threads I have no interest in here. Which does not mean they are not interesting threads to others.

I just think the feeling is that AAJ is just not the place that many of us call our jazz home.

Which is fine too. I find AAJ covers the areas of jazz I enjoy most more comprehensively, so post mainly there. I don't feel the need to tell the people at AAJ about the sites I don't find interesting, however.

I don't see self congratulation going on here.
I think that gets to the heart of my insider comment. I suspect you can't see it going on because you're so close. Believe me, as an outisider, it is striking how often the 'arn't we marvellous' comments crop up. I could point you to a classic example from the last few days...but won't so as not to take this further.

As far as sycophancy, it's far from that.  When a Larry Kart appears, are you going to listen to them more than someone who is brand new.  I think so. That's hardly sycophantic.
Of course not. I'm just struck by the times when someone announces that X is about to appear and there is a flurry of 'welcomes'; contrasted by the unpleasant way that some newbies get mocked.

Organissimo is enriched by having musicians, writers etc who have a deep experience of the music; just as AAJ is enriched by its guest musicians. I just think some members here could do with being a little kinder to those newbies who might take a bit of time to gain their balance. I'm not talking about those who roll in making outrageous or inflammatory statement who deserve all the get (an I can be just as caustic at AAJ to such people!).

This is quite a diverse crowd with a broad range of jazz interests from swing to the avant garde.  I think it's a quite broad crowd here.
Again I completely agree. The insularity is not a reference to musical taste; just the above mentioned clubiness.

And lastly, why bring up that you're British.  If one of us made some comment like that, we'd be chopped up and left by the roadside.
Sorry about that one, Brad. I was amused by a comment that was made about my 'Anglo' hang-ups on the weekend thread. I was playing with that!

Make no mistake, I find this to be a fine board and I have no beef whatsoever with those who run it. It would be the easiest thing in the world to sit back and make no comment at the points I find distasteful.

But a big thing is made here about plain speaking - being prepared to speak your mind and take the flak that comes with it.

So I'm expressing what I see in the full knowledge that it is a minority view.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I'm just struck by the times when someone announces that X is about to appear and there is a flurry of 'welcomes'; contrasted by the unpleasant way that some newbies get mocked.

Gotta agree on both counts. But then, in my ignorance, I have no idea who these famous-to-other people are, so maybe I notice it more than some. As an example, the name Beverly Stapleton is more 'famous' to me than 'Larry Kart', as Bev was a member of the first jazz board I ever posted on. (Wish I could remember the name of that board; it had the damndest layout...) And the hazing newcomes to jazz get when they come here can be cruel. Who gives a shit if someone is so new to jazz that they think Norah Jones is it, or Diana Krall, or whoever? I tell you, a lot of 'knowledgable' posters here look just as myopic with their complete devotion to Blue Note and/or hard bop as the be-all and end-all of jazz. Sometimes it looks a lot like bullies in the second grade harrassing the first graders for being so young...

But that's life on the internet; I sure don't see debating it three times a month as being that rewarding. Perhaps it's my moronic attention span...

I see more members get warm welcomes than not.

I do too. Sometimes even I'm the one playing Welcome Wagon (click). More often than not, it's really nice guys like AfricaBrass that roll out the welcome mat. (But many others are certainly welcoming too.)

Sure, we haze some newbies, here and there. But more often than not, the ones that get hazed are those with some kind of attitude problem, right out the gate. Or in a few cases, people who's tastes run towards the lighter, or even sometimes "smoother" side of jazz. (And of course, people that post stuff for sale as one of their very first few posts. :ph34r: )

But all in all, I think this is a pretty friendly board, even to strangers. Anyone really think otherwise?? icon14.gif

As an example, the name Beverly Stapleton is more 'famous' to me than 'Larry Kart'

Who is Beverly Stapleton? I'm a Bevel (weird Cornish name).

I agree; the place is generally very friendly. But there are times...

I promise to bite my tongue for at least one month!