Anybody else having trouble accessing AAJ today?

ghost of miles

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not nearly as clever or interesting as us, are they?

ORGANISSIMO GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!!

It was out for a few hours last week having some upgrades. I'd imagine the same is true here.

...many of us post on both and we're no more interesting here than we are there ;) !

Mark

Every few days means I'm in the habit of going off on AAJ on a regular basis? Don't think so. I did make a comment about them on the 19th. So what? It's my right to say so. Do you have a problem with that. It appears that you do my friend.

Edited by Brad

I seem to recall you suggesting newbies take themselves to AAJ as a starting point:

Like I said I wasn't trying to be nasty and applaud Jim's post. I think it expresses the philosophy here of experienced listeners and players. But if you're a newbie to jazz, I just don't think is the place. I think AAJ is that place.

Somewhere not terribly interesting is 'the place' for newbies?

Anyway, I'm not thinking specifically of you but of a number of posters here who regularly feel the need to remind their fellow board members of the other boards they are disinterested by.

Of course you have an absolute right to say this. As I have the right to point out how precious it sounds.

My problem? I just think it sad that an excellent board is blighted by this sort of self-congratulatory nonsense. As it is blighted by the way that an innocent novice to the board can be goaded by a pack of alpha males; makes an interesting contrast to the sycophancy that is unleashed whenever anyone who has written a book appears.

I'm afraid what the insiders here see as the board's strengths are, to my mind, a weakness. An insularity that can lead some members to believe the myths they've created about themselves.

But then I'm British. I never did Summer Camp bonding with the boys. I probably just don't understand the culture.

[Apologies to the many posters here for whom these criticisms are completely inappropriate. It might also be noted that I'm making them at the board in question, not at a distance with a group of AAJ cronies]

Edit: This might not quite link with your post now as you changed it between me first reading it and posting this.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Bev,

I don't find AAJ all that terribly interesting to me but it doesn't mean it's not a good site (and if I said otherwise, then I'm wrong). I don't think we're constantly harping on how superior this board is. I just think the feeling is that AAJ is just not the place that many of us call our jazz home.

Precious? That's cute.

I don't see self congratulation going on here. People like this board more than others. What's wrong with that? As far as sycophancy, it's far from that. When a Larry Kart appears, are you going to listen to them more than someone who is brand new. I think so. That's hardly sycophantic.

And frankly I don't get your statement at all about insularity. This is quite a diverse crowd with a broad range of jazz interests from swing to the avant garde. I think it's a quite broad crowd here.

And lastly, why bring up that you're British. If one of us made some comment like that, we'd be chopped up and left by the roadside.