The new "Pay-It-Forward" Music Giveaway Thread!!&#33

I've got a stack of CDs that I have been meaning to give away for a while now. Some are dupes, others are just stuff that I didn't dig. Let me know if any of these interest you...

Lin Halliday - Delayed Exposure (Delmark) with Halliday, Ira Sullivan, Jody Christian, Dennis Carrol & George Fludas.

Billy Higgins - Mr. Billy Higgins (Evidence) with Higgins, Gary Bias, William Henderson & Tony Dumas.

Pharoah Sanders - Heart Is A Melody (Evidence) with Sanders, William Henderson, John Heard & Idris Muhammad

Pharoah Sanders - Moon Child (Timeless) with Sanders, William Henderson, Stafford James, Eddie Moore & Cheikh Tidlane Fale

A two-fer: Various - Soundtrack to The Bridges of Madison County & Remembering Madison County. I picked these up because it used to be the only way to get Johnny Hartman's "Once In Every Life" on CD. All of the tracks from that Bee Hive LP are on these 2 CDs.

I'll ship these free to anyone in the US but I have to ask that anyone outside the US to pay for the actual shipping cost. I've gotten sticker shock on some of my international CD shipments these past few years.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2018 at 3:23 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I've got a stack of CDs that I have been meaning to give away for a while now. Some are dupes, others are just stuff that I didn't dig. Let me know if any of these interest you...

Lin Halliday - Delayed Exposure (Delmark) with Halliday, Ira Sullivan, Jody Christian, Dennis Carrol & George Fludas.

Pharoah Sanders - Heart Is A Melody (Evidence) with Sanders, William Henderson, John Heard & Idris Muhammad

Pharoah Sanders - Moon Child (Timeless) with Sanders, William Henderson, Stafford James, Eddie Moore & Cheikh Tidlane Fale

A two-fer: Various - Soundtrack to The Bridges of Madison County & Remembering Madison County. I picked these up because it used to be the only way to get Johnny Hartman's "Once In Every Life" on CD. All of the tracks from that Bee Hive LP are on these 2 CDs.

I'll ship these free to anyone in the US but I have to ask that anyone outside the US to pay for the actual shipping cost. I've gotten sticker shock on some of my international CD shipments these past few years.

The Billy Higgins CD is gone but these others are still here. I will probably toss them in the next couple of days so if anyone wants them, speak up.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 3:23 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Billy Higgins - Mr. Billy Higgins (Evidence) with Higgins, Gary Bias, William Henderson & Tony Dumas.

These are all gone.

I may post a few more in the next few days.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:23 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I hope someone picked up the soundtrack to hear that Hartman album, which is amazing.

• 7 months later...

Offering up book "Ascension:  John Coltrane and his Quest" by Eric Nisenson.  I have two copies of it.  Have not read the book, so cannot vouch for it either way.  Published in 1993 by Da Capo Press, for whom I have great respect and appreciation.   Free via media mail to US-based member.  If overseas, I just ask that you partially reimburse postage if you want it. 

also offering up book "High Times Hard Times" by Anita O'Day.  Have not read the book, so cannot vouch for it either way.    Free via media mail to US-based member.  If overseas, I just ask that you partially reimburse postage if you want it. 

On 11/24/2018 at 3:02 PM, felser said:

Offering up book "Ascension:  John Coltrane and his Quest" by Eric Nisenson.  I have two copies of it.  Have not read the book, so cannot vouch for it either way.  Published in 1993 by Da Capo Press, for whom I have great respect and appreciation.   Free via media mail to US-based member.  If overseas, I just ask that you partially reimburse postage if you want it. 

I would love to have your extra copy of this book, felser. Is it still available?

More free books (free shipping in USA, credit towards shipping overseas).if anyone wants any of them, let me know, and I will get them sent out to you.  Some of these were textbooks from my college course with Neal Leonard ca. 1975:

Stearns - The Story of Jazz

Ross Russell - Jazz Style in Kansas City and the Southwest

Tanner/Grow - Jazz

Lyons - Great Jazz Pianists

Feather - Encyclopedia of Jazz

Johnny Cash - Cash (autobiography)

Edited by felser

• 2 weeks later...

STOMPIN' VOLUME 12 CD

22 CRAZED RHYTHM 'N' BLUES POUNDERS!

Got this just now from a UK seller, he was supposed to ship Volume 15 which is one of only three I am lacking. He promptly refunded the charge and since its across the pond, absolved me of return shipping.  So his loss is someone's gain: 

Free to a good home, postpaid in the US.  First to PM gets it.

In a bizarre alignment of the stars, I have an extra copy of Stompin' Volume 3, which I also received in error when ordering another volume.

Free to a good home, free postage in the US, first PM gets it, batteries not included, action figures sold separately.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Free to download - Ellington in Duluth 1946 - from broadcast acetates I found last summer.  Third is an interview with Duke and Strayhorn. Interesting snapshot of an average workday. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C1ryHA4GAJSN1ZolMpPAS1BZaqFh7Atb/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NjkejroQ7NIYTVW7ZF8dqFYM4Ro__0BF/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10i22GP-WiKfB27riKcK1xxdVXlbalWhG/view?usp=drivesdk

probably need to request access. 

On 4/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, russes01 said:

Free to download - Ellington in Duluth 1946 - from broadcast acetates I found last summer.  Third is an interview with Duke and Strayhorn. Interesting snapshot of an average workday. 

This is a nice find. Timner's Ellingtonia (5th ed.) shows nothing between June 8 and July 6, 1946. 

Here is the personnel of Ellington's July 9, 1946 record date for reference:

Taft Jordan, Shelton Hemphill, Cat Anderson, Francis Williams, Shorty Baker (tp),
Ray Nance (tp, vln, vcl) Joe Nanton, Lawrence Brown, Claude Jones, Wilbur DeParis (tb), Jimmy Hamilton (cl, ts) Johnny Hodges (as) Russell Procope (as, cl) Al Sears (ts), Harry Carney (bar, b-cl, cl) Duke Ellington (p), Fred Guy (g), Oscar Pettiford (b), Sonny Greer (d), Kay Davis, Al Hibbler (vcl)

The contents of the uploaded music files, each of which is about 15 1/2 minutes, appear to be the following :

1. Take The “A” Train/Announcement/Take The “A” Train/Transblucency (kd vcl)/
    C Jam Blues/I’m Just A Lucky So-and-So (ah vcl)/Announcement/
    Riff Staccato (cut off)

2. Riff Staccato (cut in)/Come Rain Or Come Shine (kd vcl)/Blue Skies/
    Things Ain’t What They Used To Be/Outro/Intro Of Interview/
    Start Of Interview    

Thanks very much. Any other acetates lying around?

On 4/20/2019 at 6:51 PM, russes01 said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C1ryHA4GAJSN1ZolMpPAS1BZaqFh7Atb/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NjkejroQ7NIYTVW7ZF8dqFYM4Ro__0BF/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10i22GP-WiKfB27riKcK1xxdVXlbalWhG/view?usp=drivesdk

probably need to request access. 

Wow Thanks.  This isn't even in The New DESOR.  IS it ok to share this with the Duke Ellington List-Serve?