The new "Pay-It-Forward" Music Giveaway Thread!!&#33

42 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Wow Thanks.  This isn't even in The New DESOR.  IS it ok to share this with the Duke Ellington List-Serve? 

Sure - figure it should be out in the world. 

4 hours ago, jay2b2 said:

This is a nice find. Timner's Ellingtonia (5th ed.) shows nothing between June 8 and July 6, 1946. 

Here is the personnel of Ellington's July 9, 1946 record date for reference:

Taft Jordan, Shelton Hemphill, Cat Anderson, Francis Williams, Shorty Baker (tp),
Ray Nance (tp, vln, vcl) Joe Nanton, Lawrence Brown, Claude Jones, Wilbur DeParis (tb), Jimmy Hamilton (cl, ts) Johnny Hodges (as) Russell Procope (as, cl) Al Sears (ts), Harry Carney (bar, b-cl, cl) Duke Ellington (p), Fred Guy (g), Oscar Pettiford (b), Sonny Greer (d), Kay Davis, Al Hibbler (vcl)

The contents of the uploaded music files, each of which is about 15 1/2 minutes, appear to be the following :

1. Take The “A” Train/Announcement/Take The “A” Train/Transblucency (kd vcl)/
    C Jam Blues/I’m Just A Lucky So-and-So (ah vcl)/Announcement/
    Riff Staccato (cut off)

2. Riff Staccato (cut in)/Come Rain Or Come Shine (kd vcl)/Blue Skies/
    Things Ain’t What They Used To Be/Outro/Intro Of Interview/
    Start Of Interview    

Thanks very much. Any other acetates lying around?

A few other interesting things i’ve lucked into while out digging for stuff. I have a full set of the second Esquire concert I need to get transcribed cause they look as clean as the Duke discs - hopefully sound good too.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the Enrico Pieranunzi Soul Note box set.  Now, I have duplicate of Seaward:

R-5107906-1523089035-5522.jpeg.jpg

I'd be happy to send it along to anyone who's interested.

(Free shipping in the U.S.; friends in other countries may need to chip in a couple bucks to cover shipping.)

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I just got the Enrico Pieranunzi Soul Note box set.  Now, I have duplicate of Seaward:

R-5107906-1523089035-5522.jpeg.jpg

I'd be happy to send it along to anyone who's interested.

(Free shipping in the U.S.; friends in other countries may need to chip in a couple bucks to cover shipping.)

I'd take that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, Justin V said:

I have a copy of Clare Fischer's Thesaurus for anyone interested.  I bought Waltz, which combines Thesaurus and Duality from the same sessions, so the single album is now up for grabs.

I'd enjoy having it if not already taken.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone interested at this late date, but I have the following VHS tapes to give away.  PM if you want any.  Free shipping in USA, at cost overseas.  Feel free to ask for multiples, I just want to find a home for them:

Charles Mingus - Triumph of the Underdog

John Abercrombie and Andy Laverne - In concert

Charles Mingus - Sextet Live in Oslo 1964

Yes - House of Yes

Grateful Dead - Ticket To New Year's (Oakland Coliseum 1987)

Woodstock 94

Chick Corea - Akoustic Band Alive

Edited by felser

• 2 months later...

I have this to give away.  Just the book (bass clef edition).  The CD's got shattered in transit to me, and I'm not a musician, so I'd like to find a better home for it.  Free including shipped free.  USA only (willing to ship overseas at cost), thanks.

Image result for charles mingus more than a play-along bass clef

• 2 months later...

719OHAbO3EL._SX500_.jpg

2-CD Stokowski set available for anyone who'd like to have it.  Free shipping in the U.S.

I bought the 14-CD Stokowski RCA Stereo Collection set.  So I no longer need this two-disc sampler. ;) 

A description from amazon.com:

The performances on this well-filled two-CD set come from the last decades of Leopold Stokowski's extraordinarily long life (1882-1977). The five selections from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet are dated 1954, everything else being recorded between 1960 and 1974. After opening with two idiomatic Bach transcriptions, much of the program concentrates on 19th-century romanticism, a glittering fantasy being conjured from Wagner's "Magic Fire Music." Even so, given the title The Magician, a reference to Stokowski's role in Disney's film Fantasia--and specifically The Sorcerer's Apprentice sequence--one might be surprised that there is no recording of that piece here.

Equally surprising, though in a very different way, is the sheer energy the 92-year-old conductor brings to a 1974 reading of Beethoven's Coriolan Overture. With a deeply romantic intensity, Villa-Lobos's Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5 has surely never sounded more European, soprano Anna Moffo singing with impassioned commitment. At 28 minutes, by far the longest recording is Romeo and Juliet; beginning in almost detached tranquility, Stokowski builds to implacable tragedy. Finally, Shostakovich's suite The Age of Gold is witty and idiosyncratic, the high point being an especially lyrical and affecting Adagio. A feast of rapt music-making and vividly bold sound, this is an excellent anthology thoroughly deserving a sequel. --Gary S Dalkin

On 7/23/2019 at 1:30 PM, colinmce said:

I have Amazon CD-R copies of John Patton's Blue John and Accent On The Blues if anybody would like them. Both play just fine. The printing on Blue John is very good, while the printing on Accent leaves much to be desired. But the music is fantastic!

colinmce - Did anyone ever claim these?  

Edited by HutchFan

• 2 years later...

Alice Coltrane Eternity, Sepia Note 05 CD

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

I bought this from Michael (Scott), but already have the material on the Spiritual Eternal Warner reissue. :o

In the above's standard plastic sleeve, tray card folded to fit in sleeve. Haven't graded the disc, but it plays fine.

Free (incl. shipping) to domestic US claimant.

• 11 months later...

Also available at no cost to US Residents is

Valery Ponomarev, Beyond The Obvious (Reservoir)

Don Braden on tenor, and no piano makes for a slightly different group sound. 

(Funny story: I got two copies because I had one, put it into a discard pile, and then a couple of months later bought another, very cheap copy.  I listened to this copy and said "this is pretty darn good" and then told myself, "Numbnuts, you already had this and didn't like it."

Hopefully whoever responds, gets the version that appeals to them. Because I listened to the first one again and wasn't so impressed.)

• 6 months later...

This Renaissance polyphony disc is up for grabs, free USA postage. Mistaken purchase: I got it from BRO a few years ago but already had practically all the contents in a (very good) box set.

https://www.discogs.com/release/13584233-Jacob-Obrecht-Capilla-Flamenca-Piffaro-Chansons-Songs-Motets

https://www.amazon.com/OBRECHT-Chansons-Capilla-Flamenca-Piffaro/dp/B000EMT17C

61zHgL3fO4L._SX425_.jpg

Edited by T.D.