The new "Pay-It-Forward" Music Giveaway Thread!!&#33

what should  be the ground rules about postage to addresses outside north america...?

-e-

Interesting you don't mention postage to North America from overseas. If you think about it, you'll discover that non-US posters are more likely to pay higher shipping fees as (with this board membership being predominantly Amrican) they are more likely to ship to the US, than US posters to overseas.

Or you assume that nobody in the US might be possibly interested in what international posters have to offer ;) ?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to share the love... :D

Here's the CD I'm offering. The FIRST PERSON TO QUOTE THIS POST gets the CD.

MAKE SURE YOU QUOTE THIS POST. I want to make sure it doesn't go out to someone who wasn't trying to win.

e337183ysvf.jpg

FRANK MORGAN ALL-STARS

Reflections

Contemporary 14052

Old Bowl, New Grits; Reflections, Starting Over, Black Narcissus, Sonnymoon For Two, O.K., plus CD bonus track Caravan

with Joe Henderson, Bobby Hutcherson, Mulgrew Miller, Ron Carter, Al Foster

Terms such as supergroup and all-stars may understate the stature of this imposing 1988 sextet. Frank Morgan, at the peak of his personal renaissance, meets two front-line players who had been at the forefront of jazz’s new directions for two decades, a bass/drum team for the ages, and the period’s brightest young pianist. Beyond its individual name power, Reflections also verifies that Henderson and Hutcherson played just as magnificently in years when listeners weren’t paying attention, and that the bebop-rooted Morgan (who also recorded a Charlie Parker tribute album, Yardbird Suite, with this rhythm section) could function just as convincingly in the more contemporary realm of Miller’s “Old Bowl, New Grits” and Hutcherson’s “Starting Over.” The session is filled with memorable contributions, from Morgan’s chorus on the title ballad to a bonus-track “Caravan” with jaw-dropping drumming from Al Foster.

Allmusic.com Review by Scott Yanow

Altoist Frank Morgan leads an all-star group on this excellent hard bop set. With tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson, pianist Mulgrew Miller, bassist Ron Carter and drummer Al Foster also in the sextet, it is not surprising that Morgan sounds a bit inspired. The musicians all play up to their usual level, performing "Caravan" (which was added to the CD version) and Sonny Rollins' "Sonnymoon for Two," plus a song apiece by Thelonious Monk ("Reflections"), Miller, Hutcherson, Henderson and Carter. Recommended.

Note: This is the out-of-print Contemporary version from 1989, not the OJC. This is a good one... I wish I had more CDs to choose from... ENJOY!

Later tonight I'll post a short list of CD's that I have available as my "give-away" for this thread. After I post the list (and not before), the first person to respond can chose any one CD from the list as their "freebe".

I'm late to a meeting now (or else I'd just post the list now), but I'll be back in about three or four hours.

If I recall from the first post, we can actually have multiple CDs going in the post, though that might get confusing. Think about it like two or more waves going around a stadium. It can look very cool, but also a bit dizzying, so let's see what happens. My suggestion (or echo of other suggestions) is that it be a post (not a PM) and that it quote the item up for grabs. Then if you are the winner, you can PM with mailing details. Reasonable?

I have an item to Pay-It-Forward.

Circa

Michael Cain (piano), Ralph Alessi (trumpet), Peter Epstein (saxophones)

ECM 1997.

Reply below if interested.

Eric

I have 'READY FOR FREDDIE' in a non-RVG edition. Who wants it? Post(reply) and PM(snail mail address) and it is yours.

Great idea :tup:tup:tup

Ben Wallace even likes it :bwallace:

I'm all over this like a cheap suit! :lol: Thanks (in advance)!

I've got a whole stack of stuff...I'll list it Friday (it's all back in Philly, and I'll be there then).

PM on the way, Phillyq!

PJJ