The new "Pay-It-Forward" Music Giveaway Thread!!&#33

I'm a bit past due in paying it forward but here's my offering to the first PM received:

Bob Scobey's Frisco Band - Direct From San Francisco

d85955loj45.jpg

No takers? There's no tradional/dixieland fans who'll take a free disc? (Many apologies to our foreign friends but U.S. addresses only please.) Maybe I'll have to choose another to try and inject some life into this thread.

Speaking of injecting life into this thread, I just checked posts since the beginning of the year and it looks like there are some who haven't paid forward since claiming a CD. Trane fanatic owes two and cliff englewood and felser each owe one. Apologies to you if you've already put in more than you've claimed.

Edited by mikelz777

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM sent.

I am offering the following double-cd to the sender of the first PM:

Duke Ellington: En Concert Avec Europe 1 1965 (2 CD), Trema

I was interested in the Bob Scobey album offered by Mikelz777. Mikelz777 just informed me, that he will not ship outside the US. I was not aware that this thread is for US residents only. Meanwhile I got a PM from someone who is interested in my Ellington set. I will ship the Ellington twofer anyway, so I have one future cd free.

PM sent.

I was interested in the Bob Scobey album offered by Mikelz777. Mikelz777 just informed me, that he will not ship outside the US. I was not aware that this thread is for US residents only. Meanwhile I got a PM from someone who is interested in my Ellington set. I will ship the Ellington twofer anyway, so I have one future cd free.

hey, i didn't know there were US only threads... maybe we could start a visible/invisible thing as with the political forums...

one thread less i have to read anyway... (put differently: tommy, if you're angry, i will gladly share your anger with you)

Edited by Niko

PM sent.

I'll take the hit for not being as magnanimous as others here regarding shipping and I've already personally apologized via PM. Just because I am not willing to ship overseas by no means should infer that this thread is for US residents only. I'm certainly not the spokesman or representative for the other members of this board. It was my intent to ship a free CD cheaply via domestic mail and I failed to take into account that the membership of this board is international and that it was possible that one of our international friends might respond and request the CD. It was my oversight, I should have noted the shipping restriction in the origional post and I am sorry. :(

PM sent.

hey, i didn't know there were US only threads... maybe we could start a visible/invisible thing as with the political forums...

one thread less i have to read anyway... (put differently: tommy, if you're angry, i will gladly share your anger with you)

this is NOT a US only thread. I shipped stuff from Switzerland to Taiwan...

Thanks, Niko, for your sympathy, and thanks, Flurin, for your clarification. Of course I was slightly irritated by Mikelz777's answer, since I noticed that there were overseas-shippings earlier on. Anyway, I will ship everywhere and that should be the policy of this thread, otherwise it does not make much sense (Germans shipping inside Germany only, British shipping inside Great Britain only, Swiss shipping inside Switzerland only...).

I think it's certainly up to the person offering the item to be able to choose domestic/worldwide shipping. But it would be a good idea to state such up front when offering the item.

This thread should not induce hard feelings amongst members...ever.

I modeled this thread after the one on the Hoffman board. I recently claimed a cd from a poster in Singapore. He cheerfully shipped it to me.

The spirit of this thread is just to generate a little goodwill amongst earthlings. A Karma kinda thingy...

Have fun! :)

PM sent.

I shipped the Ellington set to the UK.

This is a great thread, but it is about to fall asleep. In order to revive it I am offering the following cd to the first sender of a PM (I am shipping everywhere), though I did not receive any cd until now:

George Shearing, Back To Birdland, Telarc

This is a live recording of the 2000 edition of the George Shearing Quintet featuring Don Thompson (vib) Reg Schwager (g) Neil Swainson (b) and Dennis Mackrel (dms)

TRACKLISTING

1. Fly Me to the Moon

2. Drop Me Off in Harlem

3. Sunday, Monday or Always

4. Speak Low

5. Joy Spring

6. That Sunday That Summer

7. Donna Lee

8. Just Imagine

9. High on a Windy Hill

10. Subconscious Lee

11. Lullaby of Birdland

12. Loot to Boot

Hey, Mike - I'm sorry if I stepped in a bit too harshly. It's just that all the commercial sites have "free shipping (huge print)..... US only (tiny print)" offers going on again and again, and for foreign orders they don't even offer to deduct the US shipping prize or something... sometimes I just get a bit envious of these offers that I can't make use of, and I found it a bit of a letdown to see the same thing here. Either way, of course the person who offers something can decide on how to proceed.

Oh, and Tommy, we could ship some stuff to and fro... and no one could interfere, he he :D

Hey, Mike - I'm sorry if I stepped in a bit too harshly. It's just that all the commercial sites have "free shipping (huge print)..... US only (tiny print)" offers going on again and again, and for foreign orders they don't even offer to deduct the US shipping prize or something... sometimes I just get a bit envious of these offers that I can't make use of, and I found it a bit of a letdown to see the same thing here. Either way, of course the person who offers something can decide on how to proceed.

Oh, and Tommy, we could ship some stuff to and fro... and no one could interfere, he he :D

We even could deliver it ourselves door to door and save any postage...

No worries, I can totally understand the disappointment and the frustration. It was an oversight on my part and the mailing restriction should have been noted in my original post. I regret that people may think I'm being unreasonable but once I start shipping overseas, the postage costs double or worse and I have to fill out customs forms which ends up to be a lot more work and expense than it's worth just to rid myself of a CD. Anyway, that's where I'm coming from and I'm sorry that I made anyone unhappy about it. They're certainly within their rights to be unhappy about it and disagree with me.

This CD is still up for grabs. (USA addresses only please.)

(To be paid forward by me, free of charge. PM me if interested.)

d85955loj45.jpg

Bob Scobey's Frisco Band - Direct from San Francisco

Review by Scott Yanow

This is an enjoyable date of Dixieland, emphasizing familiar warhorses. Trumpeter Bob Scobey is in his usual consistent form and is assisted in the frontline by trombonist Jack Buck and clarinetist Bill Napier. Banjoist Clancy Hayes has six excellent vocals (particularly "Curse of an Aching Heart" and "Travelin' Shoes"), and the spirit and high musicianship overcome the familiar repertoire.

AMG rating = 4 out of 5 stars.

:) once more everbody is nicer than me - guess i should be worried

• 4 weeks later...

I have a copy of Milt Jackson's Ain't But a Few of Us Left (Pablo) to give away.

Very minor marks on back; plays fine. Unfortunately, the artwork, etc. is damaged, so I will only be shipping the CD.

(My inbox is kind of full and I don't have time to empty it, so I will send this to the first person to reply in the thread itself. Thanks.)

Eric

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since I've seen anything here so have a couple of things (not all music so hope that's ok) to offer up.

1. CD - Duke Ellington Private Collection Vol 6 Studio Sessions NY 1968 Kaz (note the Kaz discs have diff Vol nos to the US editions)

2. t-shirt - Jazz Record Mart Chicago logo t shirt, grey XL.

T-shirt offered since I directed a friend to the great shop a while ago. He loved it so much he bought me a t-shirt. However its a size XL and is so tent like on me, I've never worn it. Any board members like their t-shirts extra large?

Send me a PM if you're interested in either. I'm in the UK by the way

Guest Bill Barton

I have a duplicate copy of the superb recent Brad Shepik CD Human Activity Suite to offer... This is the group with Ralph Alessi, Gary Versace, Drew Gress and Tom Rainey. First PM gets it...

EDIT: It's gone. Congrats, Aggie 87! It's a good un...

Edited by Bill Barton