concerning artists and fresh sound sale

TheMusicalMarine

Blue Moon, or Fresh Sound, or whichever it is, has been having a sale on a number of albums (7.57 bucks). That sound's good to me, and a lot of these albums have sidemen that interest me, but the few of these that show up on allmusic seem to be easy listening. If any of you could give me a yea or nay as far as that goes, for the following artists, I would be most grateful.

Artists

Aaron Bell

Abbe Lane

Bernie Green

Betty Bennett

Billy Taylor

Bob Florence

Bobby Jaspar

Bunky Green

Carl Perkins

Cathy Hayes

Dave Pell

David Murray

Dennis Farnon

Dick Collins

Dick Hafer

Donna Drake

Eddie Bert

Frank Strazzeri

Frank Warren

Frankie Randall

Freddie Merkle

George Handy

George Williams

Gerald Fried

Gerald Wiggins

Gloria Lynne

Gogi Grant

Nick Travis

Pablo Beltran

Paul Moer

Pete Jolly

Thanks for any and all help

G.d. it, MM, not sure I wanted to know about this sale! :ph34r:;) Lemme take a look at the Fresh Sounds site and see what the albums in question are... I'm a big Carl Perkins fan and have a copy of the Fresh Sounds--pretty decent, though not quite as good as CARL'S BLUES, if you can track that one down. What's the George Handy--the mid-1950s comeback one? I think Allen Lowe and others around here have weighed in on that one as somewhat disappointing, if it's the one I think it is...

• 8 months later...

The €6.37/$7.57 Fresh Sound sale never ends, does it...?

Anyway, I was hoping for opinions regarding a bunch of albums:

Arnold Ross Just You & He & Me (1975-1976)

Arnold Ross (p), Harry Babasin (b), Roy Harte (d)

c1121.jpg

Jack Millman Four More (1956)

Jack Millman (tp), Lin Halliday (ts), Don Friedman (p), Clarence Jones (b), Ray Teidel (d), Don Paterson (b)

c1572.jpg

Walter Bishop Jr. Summertime (1963)

Walter Bishop Jr. (p), Butch Warren (b), Jimmy Cobb (d)

c140.jpg

Bob Florence Name Band: 1959

Bob Florence (p), Johnny Audino (tp), Tony Terran (tp), Irv Bush (tp), Juiles Chaikin (tp), Bob Edmundson (tb), Bobby Pring (tb), Don Nelligan (tb), Herbie Harper (tb), Herb Geller (as), Bernie Fleischer (as), Bob Hardaway (ts) and many more (sic from Fresh Sound website)

c1825.jpg

Toshiko Akiyoshi Toshiko Mariano Quartet Live At Birdland (1960)

Toshiko Akiyoshi Mariano (p), Charlie Mariano (as), Gene Cherico (b), Eddie Marshall (d)

c1717.jpg

Bob Cooper Milano Blues (1957)

Bob Cooper (ts, oboe), Hans Hammerschmid (p), Rudolf Hansen (b), Victor Plasil (d), Pim Jacobs (p), Ruud Jacobs (b), Wessel Ilcecken (d)

c1539.jpg

The albums currently at sale are listed HERE.

...and while we're at it, has anyone heard this:

Wynton Kelly Trio Live At The Left Bank Jazz Society, Baltimore 1968

Wynton Kelly (p), George Coleman (ts), Ron McClure (b), Jimmy Cobb (d)

c1735.jpg

CD. 1

1. Introduction-Announcements 0:29

2. Unit 7 (Jones) 25:01

3. Surrey With The Fringe On Top (Rodgers-Hammerstein) 20:14

4. On The Trail (Grofé) 15:52

CD. 2

1. Mr. P.C. (Coltrane) 15:29

2. On A Clear Day (Lane-Lerner) 16:56

3. Here's That Rainy Day (Van Heusen-Burke) 11:32

4. Theme (Davis) 2:03

Recorded Live at the Left Bank Jazz Society, September 22, 1968

There's not too much on record of George Coleman from this (or any) period, so I've always been tempted to get this. How does it compare to the Kelly/Joe Henderson live date from the same year?

• 3 years later...

Can anyone tell me more about Paul Moer? There's a Del-Fi date called the Contemporary Sounds of Modern Jazz Classics sitting at this store. He seems to be a West Coaster according to Wicki, and it appears that he may have put out a handful dates 50's/60's, then vanished from the scene only to make a brief comeback in the 90's.

So does anyone have this Del-Fi date? Is it any good? Worth the $15 they're asking for it?

The Paul Moer Trio studio album on Del-Fi is pretty low-key - if you like that. His playing on the Paul Horn session on Hi-Fi Jazz is much more engaging.

There is a live album on Fesh Sound from back then - that might be better.

Just played the first side. Yes, low key but an enjoyable listen - his own compositions featured too. His style reminds me a bit of Jack Wilson, although there's some classical influences in there and maybe a smidgen of Ramsey Lewis. :crazy:

At what site or what link within the site are these titles being sold? Someone included a link above with what looks like hundreds of options to click on but I found nothing showing titles selling for USD $7.57.

Those posts are from 2005.

Yeah, there is a del-fi website here http://www.del-fi.com/ but there seems to be dead-end links when you click on an album to purchase. Looking around at Half Price/Ebay, prices range from $50-$160 :blink: . So it seems to be OOP.

Needless, to say I went back and bought it thinking that $15 was a bargain and its new. So I'll give it a spin soon.

At what site or what link within the site are these titles being sold? Someone included a link above with what looks like hundreds of options to click on but I found nothing showing titles selling for USD $7.57.

Those posts are from 2005.

:blush:

Wowza, so they are. I didn't even look at the dates. I just assumed it was current.

Edited by mikelz777

Paul Moer also appears on a pair of fine Jack Montrose albums (with Bob Gordon!), "Arranged/Played/Composed by Jack Montrose" (Atlantic, on a Koch CD), and "Jack Montrose Sextet" (Pacific Jazz, part of the West Coast Classics series, a twofer with a 10 inch album by Gordon, I think also with Moer).

Then he was on Paul Horn's "Something Blue" (Hi Fi Jazz/OJCCD) and also on some Graas/Jazzmantics etc sessions, check yourself here:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&s...difexqtgldse~T4

Moer is also on the first 2 Paul Horn "Columbia" albums (they've been out on Collectables and are excellent - not sure why they don't get more recognition). Think he's originally from Meadville, PA, about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh, in the snow belt - also the home of Sharon Stone and Paul McCandless.