Photos of Nessa, Kart, Uncle Skid

sheldonm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lazarro,

The show was great; it was good to see Von again. It's turned into a little meeting of Organissimo members with myself, Uncle Skid, Chuck Nessa and Larry Kart in attendance along with Jim Neumann (Beehive Records) and our friend Dick Sorensen who wrote many of Jim's liner notes. We all sat in the front row, directly in front of Von and he had a ^_^ on his face when he looked at us and recognized Larry and Chuck. I told Larry that I would leave the review up to him as mine usually go along lines of "the show was great" (see above) or "what a great show" or many other inane comments. One thing I will say is that it was good to see John Young (he's not young!) on piano, great player!!! Even Joe Segal was in a good mood (for him) until we kept Von around too late after the gig; Joe got a little pissy after that and threw us out :P ! The six of us headed out for dinner to chat about....what else, jazz! It was fun to put a name to a face as they say, as this was first time I had met Uncle Skid, Chuck and Larry. Hope to do it again soon!

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

Wish I could've joined you guys....I take a music class every Sunday from 4:30-6 that kills any chances of my making it to a Sunday matinee. It would have been nice to have met all of you that I haven't met yet! I'm sure there will be other occasions in the near future.

Speaking of Vonski....Chuck, I'm very much enjoying my new copy of "Serenade & Blues"!

Serenade in Blues is a killer -- love that slow blues that begins with Von solo (ta-da-daa-da,da,da,daa,da), followed by Wilber Campbell's flam, and as the piece goes into tempo John Young plays this insane run which Von holla's at. Just start taking off clothes after that point, Calumet.

Sounds like you had a great time. Envy on this part as I was home rockin' a sick baby and happy to see Jamie Fox get his props, while wondering if Scorsese will see his. Yes, if Larry and Chuck would elaborate I'm all ears. Who was in the band, what were the tunes, how is Von the Mature sounding these days?

Serenade in Blues is a killer -- love that slow blues that begins with Von solo (ta-da-daa-da,da,da,daa,da), followed by Wilber Campbell's flam, and as the piece goes into tempo John Young plays this insane run which Von holla's at. Just start taking off clothes after that point, Calumet.

Sounds like you had a great time. Envy on this part as I was home rockin' a sick baby and happy to see Jamie Fox get his props, while wondering if Scorsese will see his. Yes, if Larry and Chuck would elaborate I'm all ears. Who was in the band, what were the tunes, how is Von the Mature sounding these days?

Lazaro,

As I mentioned, John Young on piano. Mike Raynor was the drummer but I can't think of the bass player's name......possible last name of Ferguson, maybe.....great big guy...sounded good. Someone else may recall the tunes...a couple by Prez and.........

Von had several stories of his first gig at age 12 which were pretty funny; very talkative on this night!!!

Chuck.....Larry.....Uncle Skid???????

We had wonderful, front, center seats thanks to some photographer. ;)

John Young and Von must be about the hippest 83 year olds on the planet.

Song titles I remember are Lester Leaps In, In a Little Spanish Town and Body And Soul. Von confused me (and the band) by calling Lover Come Back To Me and began one of his patented solo intros, only to wander into a set of changes that had us scratching our heads. I don't know what it wound up being.

Special mention should be given for Mike Raynor's fine drumming - he's now on Von's every move.

Both John and Von are obviously pacing themselves but it was done so masterfully no one noticed/cared. They are still masters.

Personally it was a great time of reunions with old friends and developing new.

Special thanks to Uncle Skid for offering the ride, or I would not have made it.