Down-loading music from Walmart

Soulstation1

I'm sure I'll get slammed, but yes, I have recently used the download service. This is the way I looked at it:

While working in commercial radio, I found myself enjoying a small but not insignificant fraction of the music I played in both country and soft AC formats. Before leaving, I used the CD libraries to make cassettes for myself. Wanting to be able to play that music on CD (I don't have anyway to hook up the cheap cassette deck to the CD burner), I recently downloaded quite a few of the tunes I used to enjoy.

The way I looked at it was that to pay 88 cents per tune and packing a compilation CD with the tunes I like is damn sight better than finding used copies of CDs, even well picked compilation CDs will only have 3 or 4 of the tunes I want. This way, I paid for what I wanted and got only what I wanted.

MP3 sound was fine overall, especially since I'll mostly listen in the car.

Annoyances:

contrary to what the website says, I had to use Windows Media Player in order to burn CDs. It says you can use any program, but the fact is that even after Windows Media "adds" them to your playlist (goes to the site and confirms that you are licensed to use them) my audio editing software, Goldwave, and my regular burning software, Nero, continued to identify the MP3s as protected and would not access them.

However, once I successfully burned them, I am now able to extract the CD files to wav or mp3 and do whatever I want with them. but I didn't like using Windows Media to burn, I think it does a crappy job. I've had to reburn a couple of discs.

So, go ahead and slam me for giving money to the Evil Empire. Or slam me for actually liking some country and AC tunes from the 90s. Makes no never mind to me. :P:g:ph34r::alien:

I've found that walmart.com was the best source for a recent purchase of all of the Pete Johnson and most of the Ammons Chronological Classics. It's a fact that they have one of the best inventories of this label available and at a low cost.

Walmart's "damaging business model" is as such only if one believes that people are entitled to such things as minimum wages (determined by "smart people" with like, uh, Ph.D.s and stuff, note), union "representation," and the like -- I don't agree with such egalitarian, communistic principles, and if Walmart were not already supported/propped up by various strata of government (that is, by taxes upon my own revenues), it would be a slam dunk to support their efficient business model.

I'm not a consumer of their downloads -- but I think it's a propos to offer an opposing viewpoint to what I think is an illiterate dismissal of walmart.com. FWIWIMO their brick-and-mortar stores are a horror, from the regimented, abhorrent treatment of their employees down to the obese uselessness of many of their patrons.

I've found that walmart.com was the best source for a recent purchase of all of the Pete Johnson and most of the Ammons Chronological Classics. It's a fact that they have one of the best inventories of this label available and at a low cost.

Walmart's "damaging business model" is as such only if one believes that people are entitled to such things as minimum wages (determined by "smart people" with like, uh, Ph.D.s and stuff, note), union "representation," and the like -- I don't agree with such egalitarian, communistic principles, and if Walmart were not already supported/propped up by various strata of government (that is, by taxes upon my own revenues), it would be a slam dunk to support their efficient business model.

I'm not a consumer of their downloads -- but I think it's a propos to offer an opposing viewpoint to what I think is an illiterate dismissal of walmart.com. FWIWIMO their brick-and-mortar stores are a horror, from the regimented, abhorrent treatment of their employees down to the obese uselessness of many of their patrons.

And of course, walmart.com and the brick-and-mortar Walmarts are two distinct and separate entities... :rolleyes:

... down to the obese uselessness of many of their patrons.

This is an excellent point.

Anyone else ever notice how many frickin' babes shop at Target and how few seem to make it into Walmart?

Maybe that's the secret of their success: There are far more arfs than there are babes. they're sellin to the masses ... and those with masses of asses. :g

So... you think minimum wage is communistic. Okay... that's your right. Your attitude towards those with Ph.D's who fight for this kind of stuff is a very negative one.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm grateful for the social reformers of the past and present that do everything they can to make it possible for those you refer to (obese uselessness of many of their patrons) to have a decent wage.

I also have news for you. People can't really live on the minimum wage anymore. I'm sure you figure they're living it up already.

Maybe I should change my attitude. Maybe something like, "Fuck the weak; they're stupid, ugly, fat and worthless. They don't deserve to be as happy as I do; since I'm superior."

No... I wouldn't think like that for all the money in the world.

... down to the obese uselessness of many of their patrons.

This is an excellent point.

Anyone else ever notice how many frickin' babes shop at Target and how few seem to make it into Walmart?

Maybe that's the secret of their success: There are far more arfs than there are babes. they're sellin to the masses ... and those with masses of asses. :g

My wife LOVES Target. She can't stand Wal Mart. :D

I've been to both places and my guess is that Wal Mart just feels claustrophobic. Everything is crammed in there, while Target is more open. I know I feel more comfortable in Target.

I don't want to shop in Wal Mart anyway because of the way they handle themselves.

Hah! Good one J! Your joke provided me with a good laugh today... just what I needed to start the weekend off right! You sure have a wicked sense of humor, man...

Oh... wait... it seems as though you really believe in what you posted? :wacko:

Cheers,

Shane - One of those "smart people" with like, uh, Ph.D.s and stuff