René Thomas

EKE BBB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well given up trying to find a copy of Enfin anywhere on the web. Looks like Meeting Mr Thomas is available easily though. Thanks MG.

There is a rene Thomas re-issue appearing in a few weeks on the mysterious five-four label though. doesn't say what the contents are though.

in the meantime i found the tracklist of the upcoming "guitaristic" cd. maybe it helps a little bit:

Titles on disc

1.: L'imbecile

2.: How About You

3.: All The Things You Are

4.: Relaxin' At The Grand Balcon

5.: There Will Never Be Another You

6.: Lover Man

7.: Burt's Pad

8.: Autobuzz

9.: Tis Autumn

10.: Indiana

11.: Thomasia

12.: Sextius

13.: Influence

14.: Guitaristic

15.: Imy

16.: Real Cat

17.: Someone To Watch Over Me

18.: Get Happy

19.: A Night In Tunisia

20.: My Old Flame

21.: Easy To Love

22.: Goodnight Wherever You Are

Twenty two track compilation, bringing together the great jazz guitarist's work with his orchestra, his quartet, his sextet (he was clearly a busy man) and the Modern Group. An underrated player who died before realising his potential, he is now a highly respected player.

As for that Lou Bennett/Jimmy Gourley 'Amen', I cherish the French RCA original vinyl. The cover bears signed autographs by all four musicians (Bennett, Gourley, Klook and Jean-Marie Ingrand)!

You're rich!!!!

:g

MG

Well with those autographs Brownie your vinyl might fetch $6026.48 on the open market.

A Buy It Now price of $6026,47 will bring this vinyl to whoever wants to get this album :crazy:

Regarding "Enfin", I picked up a copy on e-bay after reading this thread; another copy remains.

An underrated player who died before realising his potential, he is now a highly respected player.

Underrated- definitely. Highly respected- yes, by those who have bothered to investigate. Died before realizing his potential?- Not sure I understand. Thomas developed his style very nicely, and even had time to evolve somewhat as he experimented with different styles in the early 70's (eg, "Dynasty", "Live In Sesjun", "Thomas-Pelzer Ltd."). He died before much of the jazz world really appreciated him, but to say he hadn't reached his potential... I don't know.

An underrated player who died before realising his potential, he is now a highly respected player.

Underrated- definitely. Highly respected- yes, by those who have bothered to investigate. Died before realizing his potential?- Not sure I understand. Thomas developed his style very nicely, and even had time to evolve somewhat as he experimented with different styles in the early 70's (eg, "Dynasty", "Live In Sesjun", "Thomas-Pelzer Ltd."). He died before much of the jazz world really appreciated him, but to say he hadn't reached his potential... I don't know.

jim r, i think, you are right. but i made only a copy of this sentenses from a site on the net where this cd was mentioned without thinking about it too critical.... sorry!

keep boppin´

marcel

• 1 month later...

just saw at www.jazzmessengers.com the "gambit" reissue of the long out of print cd from "royal jazz" "rene thomas - pony poindexter- at the blue note in paris from october 1964. (the al anthon privat recordings). exactly the same 9 tracks as on the rjd 512 cd from 17 years ago. (again thanks to andorra.....)

keep boppin´

marcel

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/ProductInfo.asp?ref=116354

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the information !

"Al Anthon" is in fact my friend ALAIN ANTONIETTO. He still has the original tapes and recorded many jams with René Thomas...

Only a few people know that this session have been recorded by Alain, the sound could have been better (and remastered) if Gambit had contacted Alain...

Do you have an adress for Gambit Records ?

Best

Steven

hi steven,

i think that "gambit" copied the old "royal jazz" cd. i don´t have an adress but i think that they are operating from spain or andorra. and all the labels like "gambit", "rlr", "jazz factory", "lonehilljazz", "impro-jazz dvd", "definitive" and a few more are from the same people. www.jazzmessengers.com is the only source i have.

b.t.w.: for me the sound on the royal jazz cd is o.k. but you hear only what you will hear.

was the "roayl jazz" cd (from denmark, i think) official (means your friend alain knows about it?) i think the gambit isn´t it.

keep boppin´

marcel

I just found Lou Bennett's "Enfin" in a store in Vienna - in fact it just now ended its first play on a crappy hifi system in our flat-for-two-weeks here - very nice one! Short, but good!

(I have the Royal Jazz disc, too - good one, but sound is pretty bad... wouldn't pay too much for a crappy reissue of that by the Gambit thieves - I found the Royal Jazz on sale a couple of years ago, only.)

I just found Lou Bennett's "Enfin" in a store in Vienna - in fact it just now ended its first play on a crappy hifi system in our flat-for-two-weeks here - very nice one! Short, but good!

(I have the Royal Jazz disc, too - good one, but sound is pretty bad... wouldn't pay too much for a crappy reissue of that by the Gambit thieves - I found the Royal Jazz on sale a couple of years ago, only.)

I still can't find this disc anywhere!!!! Glad others are though. I really want to hear that version of "Moment's Notice". Paris Jazz Corner said they could send it to me for the price of the cd plus 24euro's postage!!!!! :huh: Which I thought was a bit rich, even from the French.

Edited by freelancer

don't know whether i should start a new thread for this, but as there is some rene thomas with organ on it, why not post it here: saw this new cd from that cheapo JazzClub series at the store this afternoon but didn't buy it, Ingfried Hoffmann "Hammond Bond" which contains his album "From Twen With Love" featuring Volker Kriegel plus some bonus tracks three of which are from his album Hammond Tales and feature Rene Thomas... (this information courtesy of dustygroove...)

602517304543.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=997...p;anchor=463515

(dustygroove lists it as out of stock but they seem to be in the minority)

any opinions? must have? worth getting?

Played some of "Hammond Bond" yesterday in a store... not that great, I assume... I'd be much more interested in hearing the full album with Thomas, instead of the Bond material (with Pierre Cavalli & Volker Kriegel on guitars). But even two of the three Thomas titles on that CD sound too much time-bound... but as I know me, I'll still get this one, eventually, even more since it's so cheap. And I kind of like Hoffmann's heavy-fisted hammond approach, too (got the 4CD Klaus Doldinger Early Philips box soon after it came out when I saw it cheaply in a local shop and enjoy that one a lot - that's where I first really heard Hoffmann).

• 1 year later...

And since the thread is up at the moment, let me put in a good word for "Hammond Bond" - the session with Thomas is in fact the weaker one, and the main album with Kriegel/Cavalli is quite a blast! Got it offered last summer when meeting another now-and-then Org member in Vienna by chance, and I've grown to like it! :)

• 3 months later...

i got it, it's excellent, but since this thread is up at the moment:

here is a used copy of enfin at the upper end of the range of reasonable prices (by far the cheapest copy i saw in some time :) ) 18 Euro from some amazon.de seller

http://www.amazon.de/Enfin-Lou-Bennett/dp/...7836&sr=1-2

here is a copy of enfin for 8 euro plus shipping...

http://cgi.ebay.de/CD-LOU-BENNETT-ENFIN-Bm...%3A1|240%3A1318

edit to add it's gone now...

Edited by Niko

• 3 months later...

His discography (from Pierre Dulieu´s site)

1968 - Louiss / Thomas / Clarke : Eddy Louiss Trio (Dreyfus). R.T. (gt), Eddy Louiss (org), Kenny Clarke (dr) - CD

Is this the LP? http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddy-Louiss-Kenny-Clar...id=p4634.c0.m14

http://thomasia.free.fr/disco2.php?id=41

strange with the year 78 vs 70... but this apparently is the lp behind the dreyfus cd... (track lists are identical and thomasia gives 1970 for both...)

• 2 months later...

His discography (from Pierre Dulieu´s site)

1968 - Louiss / Thomas / Clarke : Eddy Louiss Trio (Dreyfus). R.T. (gt), Eddy Louiss (org), Kenny Clarke (dr) - CD

Is this the LP? http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddy-Louiss-Kenny-Clar...id=p4634.c0.m14

http://thomasia.free.fr/disco2.php?id=41

strange with the year 78 vs 70... but this apparently is the lp behind the dreyfus cd... (track lists are identical and thomasia gives 1970 for both...)

I was just loading the CD onto my iPod, and found this thread again while looking for cover art. I had that CY LP back in the 80's ($80!... I wish I still had it). I can't remember whether the LP liners listed the recording date or not, but I've always been under the impression that the session was recorded in 1968, not 1970.

• 4 months later...

here´s rene thomas live playing "theme for manuel":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA0phKL1djQ

really beautiful! what year was it?

and a short clip with klook from the "blue note" 1965:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BWIoG8L4Cg

this is the first time i´ve seen the great rene thomas in motion. just wonderful!!!!!!!

keep boppin´

marcel

• 7 months later...