Terrell Stafford

sheldonm

generally speaking, he's a neo-traditionalist who also happens to be a sharp dresser...

should photograph well,

-e-

I think that description and the connotations it brings may be somewhat limited in Stafford's place. True, he will likely never win the avant garde trumpeter of the year award, but I have heard him in some settings where he gets somewhat more adventurous than the "neo-traditionalist" tag would imply. Check him out on the Lester Bowie tribute on Matt Wilson's Arts And Crafts and you might hear what I am trying to articulate.

In any event, I think he is a fine trumpeter whose playing I have enjoyed for a while.

generally speaking, he's a neo-traditionalist who also happens to be a sharp dresser...

should photograph well,

-e-

I think that description and the connotations it brings may be somewhat limited in Stafford's place. True, he will likely never win the avant garde trumpeter of the year award, but I have heard him in some settings where he gets somewhat more adventurous than the "neo-traditionalist" tag would imply. Check him out on the Lester Bowie tribute on Matt Wilson's Arts And Crafts and you might hear what I am trying to articulate.

In any event, I think he is a fine trumpeter whose playing I have enjoyed for a while.

Someone else recommended the Arts and Craft's cd, I'll give it a spin!

Thanks,

Mark

should photograph well,

-e-

Someone else recommended the Arts and Craft's cd, I'll give it a spin!

Thanks,

Mark

I saw him a few times before - once with Matt Wilson's "Arts and Crafts". I really like his playing in that band. The CD is pretty good, too.

I am planning to go to the same show. I guess I will see you there.

You should get the recent Bobby Watson, Horizon Reassembled.

I agree 100% with this recommendation. Stafford's outstanding. A lot of power, ideas, and swing. He's on a Don Braden CD, 'Contemporary Standards Ensemble' where these qualities are evident again. He had a CD released last year on Max Jazz that I don't have, but it received good reviews.

"Neo traditionalist"?? Who isn't?

Depends on what tradition you're talking about. Doesn't he draw a lot from traditional European folk music on some of his CDs? Plus, there's a 40 + year tradition of Avant garde that he's drawing from--not to mention the 35 year tradition of Milesian fusion that probably features into Douglas' electric stuff. Stafford's drawing from a different tradition, one I happen to prefer.

I'll admit I haven't heard much of Douglas's work--and some of it I like, a little-- but claims to originality seem overstated to me. I'll defer, however, to those more familiar with his work.

Your confusion lies in the fact that neo-traditionalist refers specifically to the movement spawned by Wynton: blues and swing - no fusion, no AG, etc. Neo-traditionalist refers to the "young lions" who followed Wynton or were mentored by him.

Some neo-traditionalists have moved beyond that initial base, like Chris McBride moving into funk and Roy Hargrove doing his recent projects.

But anyone coming out of the "tradition" of the AG or drawing on european folk musics or anything other than blues and swing are not usually identified as "neo-traditionalist."

I believe Terrell just received full tenure and Professorship at Temple University. I had the pleasure of hearing him appear along with Gary Bartz, Bootsie Barnes and the Great McCoy Tyner recently and Terrell was excellent. Also, heard him with the John Fadis Band (nee Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra) recently both at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia.

I believe Terrell just received full tenure and Professorship at Temple University. I had the pleasure of hearing him appear along with Gary Bartz, Bootsie Barnes and the Great McCoy Tyner recently and Terrell was excellent. Also, heard him with the John Fadis Band (nee Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra) recently both at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia.

....well thanks for your reply and congratulations on your first post; Welcome aboard!!!

Mark

I went to Terell's show last night and he played with one of our local rhythm sections. Very good show, very melodic/lyrical; played both trumpet and flugelhorn! Terell and band played Hackensack, Someday my Price will come, Woody and You, Old Folks, Straight no Chaser as well as a tune by Sonny Rollins (Doxy, I think!) and another one by Gillespie I can't think of. There were about 200 people in a hall that holds about 500. Terell's a very personable guy as I had a chance to chat for a few minutes after the show. I'll post a few images from the show in the near future.

Mark

• 6 years later...

Since this is an older thread I'm reviving, is Terrell still worth seeing? I have the opportunity to see him perform at a somewhat local venue 45 minutes away on Thursday night. While I'm at it, any thoughts on his more recent releases including his latest "This Side Of Strayhorn"?

I saw him about 5ish years ago at the Jazz Standard. Great band, great show. Definitely worth a looksie. New album's up to his usual standards.

I saw Terell Stafford live many times within the past 2 weeks at the Vail, Colorado Jazz Party.

Terell is among my favorite 3 or 4 living trumpet players. He blows with great power and yet can also

play beautifully on a ballad. He swings hard. A friend with me at Vail described Terell as a modern

Roy Eldridge in that he plays with such energy, enthusiasm and power.

I saw Terell Stafford live many times within the past 2 weeks at the Vail, Colorado Jazz Party.

Terell is among my favorite 3 or 4 living trumpet players. He blows with great power and yet can also

play beautifully on a ballad. He swings hard. A friend with me at Vail described Terell as a modern

Roy Eldridge in that he plays with such energy, enthusiasm and power.

just curious, Peter, but do you think it's more difficult, for trumpet players especially, to play in Vail due to the altitude?