Whatever became of . . . Eric Kloss

Bright Moments

listening today to the excellent "One, Two, Free" :tup i wondered whatever became of Eric Kloss? he seems to have stopped recording in the early eighties! :o

by my calculations he is probably in his mid to late fifties!

did he become ill? or like shaw - disenchanted? or like grimes - did he fall of the earth?

can anyone solve this jazz mystery? :ph34r:

Edited by Bright Moments

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a side he did circa 1976 w/Richie Cole (when Richie was playing) called *Battle of the Saxes*. There was a tune called "Harold's House of Jazz" which was a contrafact on Cherokee changes. I'd like to see that one come out on CD.

Edit: I neglected to mention that it was burnin'!

Edited by Free For All

There just happens to be a article about him in the March JazzTimes.

He had been teaching in Pittsburg untill his illness.

This is a favorite of mine:

IN THE LAND OF THE GIANTS (PRESTIGE)

ERIC KLOSS (1969/1/2)

IN THE LAND OF THE GIANTS

ERIC KLOSS (as) BOOKER ERVIN (ts) JAKI BYARD (p)

RICHARD DAVIS (b) ALAN DAWSON (ds)

SUMMERTIME / SO WHAT / SOCK IT TO ME SOCRATES

WHEN TWO LOVERS TOUCH / THINGS AIN'T WHAT USED TO BE

oh how sad! :(

but why did he stop playing? :mellow:

The 'JazzTimes' article mentions asthma - no doubt due to this mold and chemical issue. I'm not suprised to hear that he's not playing at all, probably hard enough work just to breathe. I'm all for this fundraising idea - I can't think of a more deserving cause. I just hope things improve soon for Mr Kloss, in return for all of the fine music he's given us over the years.

I still hold out hope that he will be reunited live with Pat Martino. I asked Pat about Eric a few years ago on one of his tours and he confirmed that he was musically active again and teaching. This must have preceded this asthma onset.

My own site has a donate link, hardly ever used. I hope this one gets more action. I have no idea how the finances for the organissimo site are, but if (IF) money is OK for the board's upkeep, this kind of thing might be a real nice thing to turn into a regular happening.

I've heard of a few other jazz legends who are really struggling and "organissimo, the board that cares" might get a reputation (and I mean a *good* reputation) for its humanitarian efforts.

Mike

I'd fully support a "cause of the month" type thing, providing that credible(enough) evidence was offered that these were indeed hard times that the individual in question was suffering, and not just "bad habits" run amock. Not that I'd not like to assist in help in those cases either, but I hope you all know what I mean when I say that trying to help somebody who doesn't want to get better is an exercise in futility, etc...

Not to put this effort off tract but to expand the subject of direct contribtions we might want to consider contributions to directly to or individuals suggested by the Jazz Foundation Of America. I regulary contribute to that cause, personaly.

The Jazz Foundation Of America Web Site

Perhaps a joint contribution in the name of the Organissimo community can be made to this foundation?

Or not. Just throwing out ideas here...