Favorite Trumpet Quartet Albums

Big Al

I was looking through the collection last night and realized the only trumpet quartet album I own is Miles Davis, Volume 3. What else is out there? I'd like to get my hands on Bobby Timmons Soul Time, for Blue Mitchell and my favorite bass-drum team of Sam Jones & Art Blakey.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking through the collection last night and realized the only trumpet quartet album I own is Miles Davis, Volume 3.

That's one of my favorites: Miles and Horace (and playing on the day I was born).

Al, here are some more (including a few already mentioned):

Chet Baker 1953-10-03 Chet Baker Quartet (Pacific Jazz)

Chet Baker 1954-03-16 ,23;10-19 Boston, 1954 (Uptown)

Chet Baker 1981-11-03 Live in Paris, 1981 (Carlyne)

Chet Baker 1983-09-29 Live In Sweden (Dragon)

Chet Baker 1986-12-17 As Time Goes By (Timeless)

Chet Baker 1987 Chet Baker In Tokyo (Evidence)

Chet Baker 1988-03-01,02 Little Girl Blue (Philology)

Donald Byrd 1956-05-07 Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill (Transition)

Conte Candoli 1957-06 Four (Mode)

Johnny Coles 1961-04 The Warm Sound (Epic)

Miles Davis 1955-06-07 The Musings of Miles (Prestige)

Kenny Dorham 1959-11-13 Quiet Kenny (New Jazz)

Art Farmer 1958-04-19,05-01 Portrait Of Art Farmer (Contemporary)

Art Farmer 1960-09-21,22,23 ART (Argo)

Art Farmer 1961-10-25,26,27 Perception (Argo)

Art Farmer 1975-03-05 To Duke With Love (Inner City)

Art Farmer 1975-07-16,17 Yesterday's Thoughts (East Wind)

Art Farmer 1976-05-12,13 The Summer Knows (East Wind)

Art Farmer 1979-05-25 Something Tasty (with the Super Jazz Trio) (Jazz Line)

Art Farmer 1981-09; 1982-09 A Work Of Art / Warm Valley (Concord)

Art Farmer 1997-06-21,22 The Windmills Of Your Mind (Baybridge)

Wilbur Harden 1958-09-23 The King And I (Savoy)

Blue Mitchell 1960-08-24,25 Blue's Moods (Riverside)

Dizzy Reece 1960-05-12 Soundin' Off (Blue Note)

Louis Smith 1990-03-22 Ballads For Lulu (Steeplechase)

Bobby Timmons (Blue Mitchell) 1960-08-12,17 Soul Time (Riverside)

Joe Wilder 1956-01-19 Wilder N' Wilder (Savoy)

Edited by Jim R

The one that comes to my mind first is Johnny Coles, The Warm Sound. Wonderful!

Then Candy by Lee Morgan.

How is Dizzy Reece's Soundin' Off? It's the only one of his Blue Note I don't have.

In the recent Conoisseur Byrd/Watkins set, there are some nice quartet tracks.

And then there are some quartet tracks on the four Miles Davis Quintet Prestige albums that are very nice.

ubu

From a European perspective Polish trumpeter Tomasz Stanko did a couple of stunning quartet sets on ECM with Bobo Stenson,Anders Jormin and Tony Oxley-Matka Joanna and Leosia.The same group "warmed up" for these sessions with Bossanossa on Polish label Gowi(probably still available from those excellent folks at Cadence) .A recent US recommendation would be Dave Douglas' Moving Portrait on DIW.

thanks, Soul Stream! Hope it will be reissued some time...

how could I possibly forget Stanko! I love him! Saw him live with the quartet that was on his last ECM issue "Soul of Things" great music, great CD (it was discussed on the BNBB some time ago)!

Then there is another quartet (though not the p/b/d line up) which I do like: Dave Douglas' Charms of the Night Sky (with accordion, violin & bass, Klucevesek, Feldman, Cohen).

Then anything Chet Baker did with Russ Freeman (the live recordings are on 3 Blue Note CDs, nice; the best would be the one with Leroy Vinnegar and Shelly Manne, "Freeman/Baker - Quartet" or something similar, done in 1956)

ubu

The one that comes to my mind first is Johnny Coles, The Warm Sound. Wonderful!

Haven't heard the Coles on CD....but the Classics Recs. vinyl is outstanding and should be on every vinyl fans 'must have' list.

Anyone know if Timmon's "Soul Time" has been released in Japan or is just available as a domestic here?

The Warm Sound is on a Koch CD. Sounding alright to these ears (who like good sound, but do care much more for the music, in general)

How about the recent Concord reissue of Art Farmer's two quartet albums with Fred Hersch? They're quite nice, too. The disc is called "Artistry".

Then any of the early Farmer quartets on Atlantic (Sing Me Softly of the Blues, To Sweden With Love, At the Half Note and Interaction) as well as the Art and Perception (originally on Argo or Chess). (Some of these have been mentioned)

ubu

Doc Cheatham: Adolphus "Doc" Cheatham (Jezebel)

Leo Smith has recorded with some different kinds of quartets. Three that are in my collection:

Leo Smith with Irene Emanuel, Carol Emanuel, and Ruth Emanuel all playing harps on "The Burning of Stones" - Spirit Catcher (Nessa)

Leo Smith with Dwight Andrews: alto flute, bass clarinet, triangles; Bobby Naughton: vibes, marimba; and Charlie Haden: bass on "Spirituals: The Language of Love" - Divine Love (ECM)

Leo Smith with Dwight Andrews, Bobby Naughton, and Wes Brown: bass and flute on Go In Numbers (Black Saint)

• 2 years later...

Another result of a search for something else, and this thread came up.

Reminds me that I've purchased quite a few "trumpet + piano trio" dates over the last couple years (at least 6 or 8). I need to dig 'em out, and update this thread. Several (most?) that I don't remember seeing as I just skimmed through the previous proceedings.

Then any of the early Farmer quartets on Atlantic (Sing Me Softly of the Blues, To Sweden With Love, At the Half Note and Interaction) as well as the Art and Perception (originally on Argo or Chess). (Some of these have been mentioned)

ubu

Currently listening to the Art Farmer Quartet 'featuring Jim Hall' at the Half Note!

What a beautiful combination!