Favorite Trumpet Quartet Albums

Big Al

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are 3 CDs worth of trumpet w/trio.

MS020.jpg

Don't forget "Grand Max" (which isn't on here, unless I'm mistaken).

Nope........not mistaken. :cool:

Also don't forget 'The Ringer' by Tolliver, the studio session which came before the great 'Live at Slugs' albums. It is up to the same standard. 'Grand Max' was the name stuck on the Black Lion CD reissue of 'Live at Loosdrecht', which came out as a 2LP set on Strata-East in the 70's. Reggie Workman is amazing on that. And don't forget Tolliver's 'Compassion', a quartet with Nathan Page on guitar instead of a pianist. 'Empyrean Isles' is also fabulous, as is 'Outpost'. I've never been a big fan of 'Candy'. For the person who didn't knwo which label 'Empyrean Isles' was on, it was Blue Note.

Of course I know it was on Blue Note. I just read my old post and scrached my head for a minute as to why I wrote 'label unknown' for this title and Candy.

And then I remembered: I posted it just a few days after the old Blue Note board was shut down. I was pissed off at those motherfuckers.

Bertrand.

MS020.jpg

Also: Hal Galper "Now Hear This" w/Cecil McBee, Tony Williams and Terumasa Hino.

For raw, hard swingin' emotional playin' I like the Charles Tolliver LPs "Live At Slugs" vol 1 & 2 on Strata East.. Stanley Cowell-piano, Cecil McBee-bass, & Jimmy Hopps-drums swing with great passion on these sides! Jimmy Hopps kind of reminds me of Chicago drummer Wilbur Campbell.

Edited by randissimo

In answer to how's Dizzy Reece's "Soundin' Off"...it's one of the best Blue Notes IMHO.  A Perfect 10.

Just want to put in another recommendation for Soundin' Off. My favorite Dizzy Reece album, and a damn solid album, period.

Agreed. I've got the slightly problematic JRVG of that. I don't know whether the Select sounds any better.

MS020.jpg

Also: Hal Galper "Now Hear This" w/Cecil McBee, Tony Williams and Terumasa Hino.

For raw, hard swingin' emotional playin' I like the Charles Tolliver LPs "Live At Slugs" vol 1 & 2 on Strata East.. Stanley Cowell-piano, Cecil McBee-bass, & Jimmy Hopps-drums swing with great passion on these sides! Jimmy Hopps kind of reminds me of Chicago drummer Wilbur Campbell.

FYI randissimo, those albums are on disk #1 of the Mosaic set in addition to some unreleased tracks from the same dates on disk #3.

MS020.jpg

FYI randissimo, those albums are on disk #1 of the Mosaic set in addition to some unreleased tracks from the same dates on disk #3.

Thanks for the info BFrank.. I'll have to get the box set.. :tup

MS020.jpg

Oh, yeahhhhhhhhh. :tup:cool::tup

Disk #2 and part of #3 are from the "Live in Tokyo" set. Almost as smokin' as the Slugs stuff.

MS020.jpg

Disk #2 and part of #3 are from the "Live in Tokyo" set. Almost as smokin' as the Slugs stuff.

Almost, but not quite. Largely due to 'Effi', which breathed fire in the version Tolliver, Cowell, Gary Bartz, and Jymie Merritt did with Max Roach on 'Members Don't Get Weary', but doesn't cut it as a ballad in Tokyo (maybe just due to my heightened expectations).

I realize that Ruby Braff usually played cornet, as does Warren Vache, but here are a few quartet

recordings by them.

Ruby Braff - Live At The Regattabar - Arbors

Ruby Braff-George Barnes - live At The New School - Chiaroscuro

Ruby Braff and Ralph Sutton - R & R - Chiaroscuro

Ruby Braff/George Barnes - Plays Gershwin - Concord

Ruby Braff/George Barnes - Salutes Rodgers and Hart - Concord

Ruby Braff - The Canadian Sessions - Sackville

Warren Vache - Iridessence - Concord

Warren Vache - What Is There To Say? - Nagel-Heyer

Clark Terry - Shades Of Blues - Challenge

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Quartet - A & M

Thad Jones - 1/2 of CD on Debut label

Harry "Sweets" Edison - At The Haig 1953 - Fresh Sound

Dusko Goykovich - Celebration - D.I.W.

Dusko Goykovich - Ten To Two Blues - Ensayo

Sam Noto - Entrance - Xanadu

Dizzy Gillespie - Dizzy's Big 4 - Pablo

Count Basie/Dizzy Gillespie Quartet - The Gifted Ones - Pablo

MS020.jpg

Almost, but not quite. Largely due to 'Effi', which breathed fire in the version Tolliver, Cowell, Gary Bartz, and Jymie Merritt did with Max Roach on 'Members Don't Get Weary', but doesn't cut it as a ballad in Tokyo (maybe just due to my heightened expectations).

Yeah, the Members version of 'Effi' is just blistering. The whole band is just on, but Tolliver rocks it hard. No climaxes here--just plateaus... and they keep getting higher and higher and higher.

Also... love for Jimmy Hopps? What a consistent player. His work with Rahsaan always gets me going.

Edited to say that the Hutcherson version of 'Effi' (on 'Patterns', right?) is something else altogether. Chambers keeps the power level high, but, overall, the band keeps things remarkably subtle. Perhaps the "prettiest" version of the tune, and a happy medium.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Edited to say that the Hutcherson version of 'Effi' (on 'Patterns', right?) is something else altogether. Chambers keeps the power level high, but, overall, the band keeps things remarkably subtle. Perhaps the "prettiest" version of the tune, and a happy medium.

Oy.

Yet ANOTHER Hutcherson album I guess I'll have to get. I've got some catching up to do with Bobby.

Oy.

Yet ANOTHER Hutcherson album I guess I'll have to get. I've got some catching up to do with Bobby.

Good luck finding it. I had to pay something pretty (and that's a lot for a young cat). Worth it, though (it's basically the Medina/Spiral band w/J. Spaulding in place of Harold Land).

Yes, they flipped the two sides of the LP when they remastered this from vinyl :)

The CD actually has the tracks in the following order (ignore what the tray card says):

Effi - Irina - Nocturnal - Patterns - A Time To Go - Ankara - Patterns (alt.)

Effi was Stanley Cowell's wife at the time. They were high school sweethearts from Cleveland. She later married the infamous D.C. mayor Marion Barry, and was his wife at the time he was arrested for doing crack (remember the tape?). She stood by his side during the trial, but split as soon as he received his sentence.

However, she was helping out with his recent campaign for D.C. city councilman (his nth wife left him after more drugs and sex allegations surfaced), but only as a friend, I think (I hope). He recently pleaded guilty to not paying federal taxes since 1999 (despite many warnings). He is awaiting his sentence. He is also very ill, and I don't think he'll be around much longer.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Oy.

Good luck finding it. I had to pay something pretty (and that's a lot for a young cat). Worth it, though (it's basically the Medina/Spiral band w/J. Spaulding in place of Harold Land).

Hmmmmmmmm. <_<

Well, there's one on ebay now for $14.49 + $6 shipping from Japan. I'll keep an eye on it.

Yes, they flipped the two sides of the LP when they remastered this from vinyl :)

The CD actually has the tracks in the following order (ignore what the tray card says):

Effi - Irina - Nocturnal - Patterns - A Time To Go - Ankara - Patterns (alt.)

Effi was Stanley Cowell's wife at the time.  They were high school sweethearts from Cleveland.  She later married the infamous D.C. mayor Marion Barry, and was his wife at the time he was arrested for doing crack (remember the tape?).  She stood by his side during the trial, but split as soon as he received his sentence.

However, she was helping out with his recent campaign for D.C. city councilman (his nth wife left him after more drugs and sex allegations surfaced), but only as a friend, I think (I hope).  He recently pleaded guilty to not paying federal taxes since 1999 (despite many warnings).  He is awaiting his sentence.  He is also very ill, and I don't think he'll be around much longer.

Bertrand.

Good God. That's pretty heavy.