Bill Frisell "Unspeakable"

Man with the Golden Arm

Curious to any opinions or discussion on this nearly latest release by Frisell.

I sampled a bit and from what I hear it sounds rather nice in that it harkens back to those early days of "Is that You?" and such. Seeing that this took the top Grammy, not that that should account for anything, has me interested.

I did not like and much prefer his work with the Paul Motion Trio.

This one just screams " I can be eclectic and mix all kinds of musics"

I don't think all kinds of musics mix, but if you do, you might like it.

But this is more of a return for Frisell, not a try at something new. What I've heard of it I've liked, but I have yet to buy it.

Unlike a lotta folks I actually like a lot of what Frisell has done lately: the Danny Barnes album, the Mamadou Diabate album . . .

This last one has its moments, but is a bit too . . . serial for my tastes. Song to song and even within songs it just seems like one damn thing after another sometimes.

If there's cohesion in some of the bits, I guess I'm missing it.

I'm not at all sure strings are the way to go for Frisell--they seem to bring out all the qualities in him I dislike.

But it is not mailed in, we'll give him that.

--eric

I, too dig his recent Lee Townsend-produced efforts, and I like the Naked City stuff, but this was just not happenin'.

Drummer seemed wooden, and it lacked any kind of glue. I kept waiting for something to happen.

I did like hearing him get with that nasty tone again, but otherwise a less than enjoyable outing for me.