What have you been diggin' recently?

Templejazz

For me it would be the sound of the B-3, 'specially in a funky, greasszy soul setting.

I was never a fan of the greazze. It sounded too repetitive for me, but the more I listen to Patton's Boogaloo and Blues for Lou and some other things, I realize the Greeaase is the one major thing I've been lacking in my listening.

I'm looking forward to picking up some more of this stuff ie Patton, Earland, 'Groove' Holmes :party::party:

:tup:tup

Edited by Templejazz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contemporary folk music from Norway, Sweden and Finland. Groups like Varttina, Frifot, Hedningarna, Vasen etc. I came across a little of this about 20 years ago but every time I experimented I seemed to end up with some heavy metal folk band with wailing guitar or drum'n bass 'beats.'

A recommendation for some sampler albums from the Northside label (ridiculously cheap!) has opened up a marvellous world here. Great tunes, off centre rhythms, distinctive almost-medieval harmonies.

A tremendous and little known area of music.

It's the world of boss nova for me, thanks to JimR's meticulous watering and fertilizing of this musical area my interest has really blossomed. I've become a deep and sincere admirer of Tom Jobim's music! And also discovered dozens of other artists to explore in Brazilian music of the last fourdecades or so. . . a great deal of diggin' to do in the near future.

Also, I've been intrigued by Africa Brass and others to return to listening to the Grateful Dead; I've bought about ten discs' worth of material from 1973 to 1975 that I am digesting and having fun with. This was a one of a kind 'rock' band.

Beyond this, I'm exploring some vocalists more than I had in the past, such as Cassandra Wilson and Sarah Vaughn and even Norah Jones. . . .

I've been absolutely obsessed with the sound of Sonny Rollins's tenor lately. When I finally got a job last month after a year of unemployment, I went nuts and bought two Rollins box sets, "The Freelance Years" and "The Complete RCA/Victor Recordings". Man, I think I'm finding my new favorite tenor of all time!

I've also been loving everything about Mosaic. I only discovered thier stuff last month, and have alrady acquired 4 sets along with all four Mosaic selects. They must be the greatest thing to ever happen to recorded jazz.

I'm glad you've been digging the Dead, Lon!

Jazzwise, I'm with Sal, I've really been getting into Sonny Rollins since we had him as the album of the week. I've never really gotten into him like I should, but that album really did it for me.

My main musical squeeze lately has been the collected works of Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West. If you're unfamiliar with these guys, they were an amazing pair. Out of this world guitar playing paired with steel guitar (non-pedal variety). They recorded together in the 50's on Capital. I have the box set on Bear Family and I've also been digging a compilation of their performances on the Tennessee Ernie Ford show from the early fifties that Jasmine released.

My 22 month old son wants me to play that cd over and over. I happily oblige.

:rsmile:

Paul Desmond. Bought the RCA box and have really been enjoying those mellow recordings with Jim Hall.

Don Pullen. Picked up the Best of Blue Note CD as it was only $4 and am really very impressed. It is a pity all of his Blue Note sessions are out of print. I paricularly like the two long tracks with George Adams on Tenor. The final solo piano track 'Ode to Life' is also wonderful.

Paul Desmond. Bought the RCA box and have really been enjoying those mellow recordings with Jim Hall.

Yes! This is one of my favorite box sets. I've been listening to "Glad To Be Unhappy," "Easy Living" and "Bossa Antigua" this week, as well as some other Desmond albums - The Gerry Mulligan/Paul Desmond Quartet, Dave Brubeck/Paul Desmond - 1975, etc. All very nice, very mellow.

Also been digging soul jazz/anything with B3/bluesy jazz lately. I just feel like the musicians were really having fun when they were playing the music, and I really need that in my life right now. Work has been extremely stressful for the last couple of months, and I've been spending a lot of time in the office, and I think that's why. Among the albums getting the most play:

Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack, Midnight Special, Prayer Meetin'

Stanley Turrentine - Chip Off the Old Block, In Memory Of, Common Touch

John Patton - Got A Good Thing Goin', Let 'em Roll, Along Came John

Larry Young - Into Somethin'

George Braith - Complete Blue Note

Grant Green - Carryin' On, Alive, Street of Dreams

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

...and many others.

• 1 month later...

My jazz listening has tailed off lately, don't know why...buttttttt....

I've really been digging the new Art Garfunkel record with Maia Sharp. Really nice, tight harmonies. While I was never a Simon and Garfunkel fan (in fact, actively disliked the music), I really like this stuff--more in a CSNY vein than all of Simon & Garfunkel's constant boring open fourths... :mellow:

Also love the new Fountains of Wayne record--this one hell of a great group, just saw them live in Philly a couple of weeks ago! :rlol

Anyone into Of a Revolution (O.A.R.)? Just discovered them...nice stuff, fun songs.

But those 10/7 Conns will probably re-stoke the jazz flames.... :excited:

I've also been listening to Fountains of Wayne lately (obsessively, in my case). Just discovered them late last month when a 1999 interview was repeated on NPR. Their new album, Welcome Interstate Managers, is a genre-hopping pop-rock masterpiece that I can't seem to go a day without listening to at least once. Their second album, Utopia Parkway, is full of good songs as well. "It Must Be Summer" has 'hit single' written all over it. Why these guys don't absolutely rule the radio is beyond me! Going to see them tonight at the Fillmore. :party::excited:

• 1 year later...

I was looking for something else and stumbled on this blast from the past.

I have been diggin' on Ben Sidran lately. His last album gets played once or twic a day of late, and always seems to bring just the bit of bounce and attitude needed.

Nick's Bumps is the name of the album.

I don't know how it might sound straight through, but one song at a time I'm diggin it.

--eric

That Warne Marsh release, "Live at Dana Point", has me hooked. Not really able to tell you explicitly why. Sure it's the way that Marsh spins in a swinging web. And the way that Albany plays. And the way that the discs are recorded which are very fresh and real sounding to me. And . . . well it's all that and more. Just a great two disc set that makes me need more Marsh.

"Stage Fright" by The Band.

Oh my...don't think I can quite describe what this invokes in me. Hits me on many different levels...

The lyrics. The arrangements and moods. The completely vulnerable way these guys sing. They just put it out there. This is really my first serious exposure to this group.

I do believe I shall have to seek out more...

:tup B-)

I don't have a reason for it but have been enjoying the hell out of Jimmy Smith in recent days. Jimmy with Lou Donaldson, Jimmy with Tina Brooks, Jimmy with Kenny Burrell. I've been enjoying Jimmy Smith via the RVG series exclusively.

Maybe my interest in Smith is a result of the current political scene? Jimmy Smith provides a warm, soulful sound, full of hope and prosperity in opposition to current world events.

I still need to get my copy of Groovin' At Small's. B-)

Edited by wesbed

I relistened to the Duke Ellington RCA Centennial Box and fell in love with the singing of Ivie Anderson

Always had a soft spot for her but now it's real love :wub: Kept going back to the Duke sides where she appears...

I'm usually not a big fan, but I occasionally get a strong hankering for Sad Night in Harlem.

Bit sentimental and all, but very affecting.

--eric