Good news from Marion Brown

brownie

I talked to Marion Brown over the phone today. We had not talked in at least a couple of decades. He is in good spirits after a series of medical misfortunes which led to a leg amputation. He has been given some very serious compensation money and is staying in an Assisted Living home in Hollywood, Fl., where he is in good hands.

Marion said he had seen and talked with Sonny Rollins and Wayne Shorter (Marion mentioned 'Alan's brother' when talking about Wayne) in recent months. Henry Grimes also.

He was also glad to hear that Archie Shepp was doing fine in Paris. I told him that Shepp was back in great shape after getting a full new denture.

Marion proudly told me that he was now a Buddhist. Seems that Buster Williams made a convert out of him (Buster also made Herbie Hancock a convert to buddhism!).

I asked him if he was still practising. The answer was a firm yes. Saxophone and guitar. He was enthusiastic about the guitar. He still remembered the Django Reinhardt vinyls I had given him when he was in Paris in the late '60s!

He is also proud of his children, his daughter is turning into a fine singer.

His son Djinji is a renowned hip-hop singer

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/bsots...002/djinji.html

Following his amputation, Marion is in a wheelchair now. He was glad to hear that a number of people were concerned about his current situation.

I'm sure he will be delighted to get encouragements from fans.

He is at this adress:

Marion Brown,

Bay Point Terrace,

1200 Arthur St.,

Hollywood, Florida 33019

Ed.: this is a followup to this Marion Brown thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...hl=marion+brown

Edited by brownie

brownie - I read another thread about the amount of the settlement. Is that the amount that was actually paid out?

Jim, when somebody suddenly gets big money, it is a very common occurence that 'old friends' appear out of the blue in the hope of catching up on the good luck.

I had not talked with Marion Brown in a long, long time and I did not want him to sense anything of the kind. I did not go into any specifics about the amount. He confirmed that the settlement had been very good.

The sum I mentioned in the other thread has been confirmed by other people I trust!