Carla Bley

Alon Marcus

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

My faves are "Social Studies" & "Ballad of the Fallen" (w/ Charlie Haden). Also love her take on Nino Rota's "8 1/2" on the "Fellini Amarcord" album.

jack

Hmmmm... Mine too! It's particularly :cool: to see the mention of "8 1/2" from Amarcord Nino Rota.

And if you haven't checked out this it's a hoot-and-a-half as well as being a great resource.

• 11 months later...

I stumbled across this one today -- Carla Bley and Her Remarkable Big Band "Appearing Nightly"

61CiyuQ1QcL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The sound samples from this apparent new release are tremendous. Having no familiarity with Bley or her big band work at all, I did not hesitate to grab this one immediately after listening.

Edited by papsrus

• 1 year later...

hey what do you tell me about musique mecanique, one of mi favs from her, i have listened social studies, big band theory, tropic appetites, musique mecanique, escalator over the hill, dinner music,fancy chamber music, ballad of the fallen not in our name and the only one i don't liked was dinner music, well fancy chamber music was a little boring but still worth the while, dinner music i think is kinda pop

Good to see this thread bumped up again!

I still haven't got "Night Glo" and "Escalator", but I got a vinyl of "Heavy Heart" a few months back, and just recently found three CDs at the used store: "European Tour 1977", "Musique Mecanique" and "Social Studies". I guess I know have about a third of the WATT catalogue... (plus some of Swallows XTRAWATTs).

Also, I saw the "Lost Chords" in concert in the meantime, and wow, they were extremely impressive in person! I'm not sure how much I like that CD at this time - somehow I think that particular band doesn't translate to CD that well.

• 11 years later...
On 9/26/2007 at 8:58 PM, (BB) said:

Last week I picked up 3/4 on Watt and have really been enjoying it.

3/4, for Piano & Orchestra. What a beautiful composition. I can't believe that WATT album hasn't seen a digital release. (If it has, I missed it.)

carla.jpg

I listened to the entirety of Naked Hamlet yesterday. Essential Bley listening. It cries out for an official release. If you're interested in Bley's writing, you need to hear this.

8 minutes ago, Late said:

3/4, for Piano & Orchestra. What a beautiful composition. I can't believe that WATT album hasn't seen a digital release. (If it has, I missed it.)

carla.jpg

I listened to the entirety of Naked Hamlet yesterday. Essential Bley listening. It cries out for an official release. If you're interested in Bley's writing, you need to hear this.

That's Paul Bley's wife, right? How and what (i'm nosey) did that weird-ass thing with the switch-aroo happened? Like (I think) Gary (Peacock) and Paul sorta switch wives? Please correct me if I'm wrong immediately. 

3 hours ago, BFrank said:

Paul Bley was also married to Annette Peacock, who left him and married Gary Peacock. There must be something about bass players :g

So, wait, Annette Peacock already had the last name “Peacock” before she married Gary??

(Am I the only one that’s confused here?)

Easy enough!

I started reading the Amy C. Beal book about Carla Bley and she talks about "Ida Lupino" (which pretty much everybody knows, including me) and its "odd musical mirror image "Oni Puladi"...which I knew nothing about.

My bebop chops are getting rusty, and it took me at least 30 seconds to figure out to, duh, just read it backwards.

But where to hear this composition? These days,. You Tube or else maybe it didn't happen?

So...

In which the poster was nice enough to include the link not only to the KE cut (said to have been arranged by Bley herself!) but this nifty nugget:

Along the way, I located a still-surviving blogged lo-fi Jazz Realities. Once again, the internet has been my friend, nothing asked except curiosity, nothing given except kindness. Let the Free World ever keep it so.

• 2 weeks later...

Oni Puladi makes me feel like I'm listening to a backward Beatles guitar solo. Very cool that that Edelhagen record exists. For me, the most enduring version of "Ida Lupino" is on Paul Bley's Closer, the version with John Gilmore coming in a close second.