Monk & Ellington at Newport 1962: Digital version?

In 1962 Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington were both featured at the Newport Jazz Festival. I have two questions. There was a bootleg of the performance of Monk with the Ellington band, Monk playing on two pieces. Does anyone have these performances in mp3 format? Or does anyone know where one can find these performances.

There is a DVD of the 1962 Newport Jazz Festival. Some ads on websites list Monk and Ellington, but the DVD box itself does not list Monk. Has anyone seen this DVD, and does it feature Monk with Ellington?

An inquiring mind would like to know!

Thanks.

In 1962 Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington were both featured at the Newport Jazz Festival. I have two questions. There was a bootleg of the performance of Monk with the Ellington band, Monk playing on two pieces. Does anyone have these performances in mp3 format? Or does anyone know where one can find these performances.

There is a DVD of the 1962 Newport Jazz Festival. Some ads on websites list Monk and Ellington, but the DVD box itself does not list Monk. Has anyone seen this DVD, and does it feature Monk with Ellington?

An inquiring mind would like to know!

Thanks.

How about an introduction??? Who are you; how did you find the board; what kind of jazz do you like; any special interests??? Trust me, you'll get a warmer reception after you do. Welcome aboard!

Mark

I have just read a post mildly scolding me for not telling forum members more about myself--for which I apologize.

I am an Episcopal priest by background, a jazz student of many years, love everything from ragtime to contemporary, have a huge jazz collection (over 2,000 albums), read voraciously, and attend classes at Rutgers, Newark, in the masters in jazz studies program.

My professor, Dr. Lewis Porter, has become a good friend, and I have attended several of his most stimulating courses--historiography, Coltrane, history of the tenor saxophone, jazz in film, and most recently Monk and Mingus.

I am from Virginia originally, moved to New Jersey in 1982, am divorced, live in West New York, New Jersey (with a glorious view of Manhattan), host a jazz listening club that meets in my home once a month (we've held over 100 sessions)--the club featuring a chosen theme or artist. I'd be happy to invite any members of this forum who live in the NYC area if they are interested. Just get to be privately.

I am a member of several jazz forums, and find that I could devote my entire life to sitting at the feet of so many enthusiastic and knowledgeable people. But I have to restrain myself. After all, it's a big world out there.

I have just read a post mildly scolding me for not telling forum members more about myself--for which I apologize.

I am an Episcopal priest by background, a jazz student of many years, love everything from ragtime to contemporary, have a huge jazz collection (over 2,000 albums), read voraciously, and attend classes at Rutgers, Newark, in the masters in jazz studies program.

My professor, Dr. Lewis Porter, has become a good friend, and I have attended several of his most stimulating courses--historiography, Coltrane, history of the tenor saxophone, jazz in film, and most recently Monk and Mingus.

I am from Virginia originally, moved to New Jersey in 1982, am divorced, live in West New York, New Jersey (with a glorious view of Manhattan), host a jazz listening club that meets in my home once a month (we've held over 100 sessions)--the club featuring a chosen theme or artist. I'd be happy to invite any members of this forum who live in the NYC area if they are interested. Just get to be privately.

I am a member of several jazz forums, and find that I could devote my entire life to sitting at the feet of so many enthusiastic and knowledgeable people. But I have to restrain myself. After all, it's a big world out there.

You've really divulged much more than you had to but it's well appreciated. Unfortunately, it reminds me of when I lived in West Orange, NJ for close to 8 years and I used to attend a jazz listeners' club the last Friday of every month. I really miss it now that I live in the country/rap music world of southeast Florida. In any event, back then we called ourselves the "Jazz Geezers". Unlike your "club" we each took a turn hosting, and the host would either pick a theme (which he wouldn't divulge to us - we'd have to figure it out after awhile of listening) or just play whatever he wanted, be it LP, CD, VHS tape, or even laserdisc (DVD not having been available). Lots of fun guessing who was playing, opining about the merits, etc., and I certainly looked forward to whenever it was my turn to host. Turning jazz lovers on (or even off) to your particular faves is always a lot of fun.

One other coincidence - I'm a grad of Rutgers in Newark.

Edited by MartyJazz

Hey, welcome aboard, and, to echo Lon, please stay! I really enjoyed Porter's book on Coltrane; what's he up to these days? My wife's an Episcopalian, and if I ever get "organzied" about my religious beliefs, that's probably where I'll end up... There's another jazz fan/priest here who posts from the West Coast. You'll find lots of voracious readers around this joint too, that's for sure:

Now reading

I hope it wasn't me that you felt "mildly scoulded" you. If it is, my sincere apologies. I thought it may be best if I got to you first as there are a few tough ones on board!!! ;) Welcome aboard and stick around; there is always much to learn and it appears you have much to share :P .

Mark