Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

I didn't get to post on this thread on the old BNBB because it never happened to me..... until today. The record store had Byrd's Free Form for the last few years, just collecting dust. Then when I finally decide to buy it, it's gone. I know I can get it at some exhorbitant cost (heck, half.com has it for $14.99; I coulda got it for so much less, boo hoo hoo) :( :rsly:

So, relive those horrible memories here. Anyone else?

Too many to mention, but two one that most recently got resolved were Tyrone Washington's DO RIGHT (BIG thanks to somebody ;) for providing the LP) & Joh Patton's SOUL CONNECTION (The same guy who provided me w/a CDR sent me a tip about the LP being at Dusty Groove a few weeks later!).

Next on the "settling the score list" - WELCOME by the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble on Leo. Never had a chance to buy that one, but I borrowed a copy for about 5 years, taped it, returned it before we had to relocate, and lost the damn tape in the moving.

You can run, WELCOME by the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble on Leo, but you can NOT hide. I WILL track you down!

:rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

Not really a big deal in the bigger scheme of things I suppose, but I went into one of my used stores about two weeks ago, and was flipping through the "new arrivals" section of jazz lps, probably numbering 150-200 titles. Came across John Scofield's first leader date, "East Meets West". Since my turntable's not currently with me, I skipped on it (and buried it back in the middle of the section) and picked up a couple of cds instead. Went back two days later to get it, and it was gone. ALL of the other new arrivals were still there...

This may well happen to some jazz fans in the Albany area soon...

You see, it's almost spring, and that means spring cleaning down at the ol' Albany B&N. I have the sad duty of going through the jazz section and pulling returns. Now for a long time (and I mean a LONG) time, we didn't do this. And the jazz section is packed tight as a result. So, with a heavy heart, I have to send a whole lot of oop CDs back to the distributor (the good news is that they might turn up in cut-out bins all over the country). I don't wanna do it, but I kind of have to. We need the room! Plus, we did the same thing to the classical section last month, and our classical guy (kinda like I'm the "jazz guy") challenged me by asking if I would do the same thing to jazz. So I said I'd do jazz next, and I'm doing it now. What I want to know is this: Why on earth is Verve deleting several Joe Henderson titles? He did a lot for that company. Looks like everything but Lush Life and So Near So Far is going oop.

The long and short of it is, a lot of Albany jazz fans have may have been on the fence about certain titles, but when they come in next, they will find them gone.

An original copy of "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" for $20.00 at this funky little store that had all sorts of random records there. It specialized in antique furnishings and clothes but had a suprisingly good record selection. I did manage to pick up original copies of the Ramones first three albums and a copy of the New York Dolls first album, but I missed out on that one.

Also missed out on Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music"!! I held a copy in my hands but didn't want to bounce a check at my favorite music shop. So when I got paid, I went back and, well, you know the rest of the story.

I had a somewhat absurd experience of this kind a while ago.

In a record shop nearby there was a CD copy of Elvin Jones's "On the Mountain", a trio album with Jan Hammer and Gene Perla from 1975. I was a bit hesitant, since Jan Hammer played some electronic keyboards on a few tracks, but on the other hand there was some acoustic piano as well, and I've always liked the very few recordings I've heard where Hammer plays jazz, rather than something else.

The disc was only about $4, but somehow I never came around to actually buy it. Well, when the disc had been sitting in the bin for a year or two, I finally decided I'd get it. I went to the shop, and the disc was still there, down in the basement. I just turned my back to it for two minutes, flipping through some other bins, but when I returned to the shelf it was suddenly gone! I went through everything in the room, but the CD was nowhere to find. I went up and asked the owner, and it turned out someone just bought it five minutes earlier!

Just because I couldn't get over it, I ended up ordering it from an online store for $18 instead...

Edited by Daniel A