SXSW

• 2 years later...

Anybody been to this festival (besides Ag - who hasn't, actually)?

I have a couple of buddies who go every year and are tempting me to join them. It's in March, but I have to get my airfare and 'music badge' lined up real soon. I'm 90% "there", but it's a lot of money ....

Should be fun, though.

FWIW, my brother is no longer their regular bassist, though he does play with them when they're in a pinch. Salsa was not his "love", though it sounds to me from his playing, that he learned a great deal by dedicating so much time to that music. He sold his Ampeg Baby Bass long ago...

Those in NYC should check him out at The Stone with FIGHT THE BIG BULL. Those in Chicago, stay tuned... FIGHT THE BIG BULL has been invited for three or four nights by board favorite Ken Vandermark. The way I understand it, KV will be an additional member of the band during their stay.

Other bands of note for members of the board include GLOWS IN THE DARK and ILAD, though ILAD is a rock band that may not be of as much interest to the strictly jazz folks.

• 5 months later...

Son, Ambulance is playing a show this year! Along with a million other Omaha/Lincoln bands. Should not be missed!

I can't find any info on them. No description or clip on the SXSW site.

What are they like?

http://www.myspace.com/sonambulance

Indie Rock with a little pop in them, a very cool band that i've loved for years.

Son, Ambulance is playing a show this year! Along with a million other Omaha/Lincoln bands. Should not be missed!

I can't find any info on them. No description or clip on the SXSW site.

What are they like?

http://www.myspace.com/sonambulance

Indie Rock with a little pop in them, a very cool band that i've loved for years.

OK, thanks.

I'll see if I can squeeze them into the sched.

Anybody been to this festival (besides Ag - who hasn't, actually)?

I have a couple of buddies who go every year and are tempting me to join them. It's in March, but I have to get my airfare and 'music badge' lined up real soon. I'm 90% "there", but it's a lot of money ....

Should be fun, though.

So, Beef? Report, please.

Did you have fun? Good music? Good food? Good hang in Austin?

Tell us all, please! :)

I had a GREAT time. Saw tons of music that I really enjoyed - very good "good/bad" music ratio, actually. I'm definitely there again next year. It's so crazy to spend about 13 hrs/day seeing music. You gotta like to ROCK, though. We started cruising the shows at 1pm and finished at 2am.

Here's the list of what I saw.

Wednesday, 12 March

07:00PM Van Morrison (La Zona Rosa)

08:00PM Jesca Hoop (Buffalo Billiards)

09:00PM Goldspot (Buffalo Billiards)*

10:00PM Alina Simone (18th Floor at Hilton Garden Inn)*

11:00PM The Von Bondies (Emo's Annex)

12:00AM Elf Power (Spiro's)*

12:00AM R.E.M. (Stubb's)

Thursday, 13 March

10:30AM SXSW Keynote: Lou Reed (18ABCD)

Day show Shout Out Louds (Emo's Main Room)

Day show The Stills (Emo's Main Room)

02:00PM Destroyer (Volume)

05:15PM The Donnas (Dirty Dog)

07:00PM Body of War with Kimya Dawson, Serj Tankian, Tom Morello, Brett Dennen, Brendan James, RX Bandits, Ben Harper, Billy Bragg, and Special Guests (Stubb's)*

08:15PM The Whigs (Austin Music Hall)

09:30PM Yo La Tengo (Austin Music Hall)

11:00PM My Morning Jacket (Austin Music Hall)*

11:30PM Chatham County Line (Continental Club)*

12:00AM The Sadies (Continental Club)

01:00AM The Iguanas (Continental Club)

Friday, 14 March

Day show Summerbirds in the Cellar (Bourbon Rocks)

Day show The Sadies (Dirty Dog)*

Day show Yeasayer (Emo's Main Room)*

Day show She and Him [M. Ward/Zooey Deschanelle] (Free Yr Radio)*

Day show British Sea Power (Mohawk Patio)*

Day show Carbon/Silicon (Free Yr Radio)*

09:00PM The Chevelles (BD Riley's)

10:00PM X (SXSW Live (The Bat Bar) Austin Convention Center)

11:00PM The Black Hollies (Friends)

11:30PM Muck and the Mires (BD Riley's)*

12:00AM J Mascis (Mohawk Patio)

12:45AM Thurston Moore w/ Band (Mohawk Patio)

Saturday, 15 March

Day show The Rogue Wave (The Thirsty Nickel)*

01:30PM Liam Finn (SESAC Day Stage Cafe Austin Convention Center)

02:30PM Gigantic (BD Riley's)*

03:00PM The Chevelles (BD Riley's)

03:45PM Billy Bragg (The Thirsty Nickel)*

10:00PM The Raveonettes (Emo's Main Room)

11:15PM The Donnas (Emo's Main Room)

12:00AM Firewater (Red Eyed Fly)*

01:00AM Waco Brothers (Red Eyed Fly)

*Partial show

+++

Here are one-line reviews of my personal highlights (as told to a friend of mine).

REM - Good show in 2,000 "seat" (there were no seats) venue. They're always good live.

Lou Reed interview - droll, funny, low-key discussion with producer Hal Willner

The Stills - Guys w/attitude from Canada. Rockin'.

The Donnas - Chicks w/attitude from Palo Alto. Rockin', bratty ...

The Whigs - Power Trio from Athens, GA. Intense drummer. Tight like The Police without sounding at all like The Police.

Yo La Tengo - One of my favorite bands (from Hoboken). Tuneful, noisy, funny, eclectic, have a relationship with WFMU.

The Sadies - Country/surf/garage. Smooooooookin' guitar playing brothers from Canada.

The Chevelles - Power pop from down under - West Australia to be more exact. Solid twin-guitar pop-rock.

X - Classic "punks" from LA. One of my favorite bands of the early 80's. Haven't lost a beat in 25 years.

The Black Hollies - The Yardbirds, The Who and Paul Revere & the Raiders. British Invasion from New Jersey.

Thurston Moore - Leader of Sonic Youth. Good late-night set of pop/noise.

The Waco Brothers - Power-country/rock with a lot of clowning around on stage. Lots of whiskey involved. Spin-off project of the Mekon's Jon Langford.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm going out of town for the weekend.

Moby Grape? Really? I don't know how that can be worthwhile at this stage.

Not sure what happened, but they're now being billed as: "The Spence Clark Band w/very special guests Jerry Miller and Don Stevenson of Moby Grape"

I wasn't going to see them anyway because I plan to see Big Star who is performing about the same time.

• 4 years later...

I see a few groups at SXSW this year that I might enjoy, but when I looked at the price of a ticket it was $795 for a music pass. Is that really the only way to see a group on the program (the vast majority of which do not interest me)?

I'm comparing this to Winterjazzfest where a ticket to pick from 100 jazz groups over two nights was $55. Similarly, a daily ticket to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival is $58 this year. And the International Music Festival in Lafayette, Louisiana is free. It seems absurd by comparison.